Rear axle

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Rear axle
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 12, 2015 at 10:05 Quote
I am new and trying to get the rear wheel off a bmx. for some reason when i have loosened one bolt the other bolt won't loosen because it spins the whole axle please tell me how i can stop itspinning and loosen it

Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 4:19 Quote
Put the Allen wrench in the other side of the 14mm. Might help to have a vice grip but whatever you do don't take a hammer or even a rubber mallet to it. Worst case scenario I find a motorcycle shop and they usually do anything for a tip.

Posted: Sep 23, 2015 at 12:33 Quote
adycole wrote:
I am new and trying to get the rear wheel off a bmx. for some reason when i have loosened one bolt the other bolt won't loosen because it spins the whole axle please tell me how i can stop itspinning and loosen it

This is very common when the threads of the axle or the axle nut are damaged or even just a little worn. At a bike shop, or online, you can buy "cone wrenches" which are slim wrenches that fit inside the dropout and hold the inner nut. Sometimes this will stop the axle from spinning.

If you're able to get the wheel off the bike, but you still have the seized axle issue, then one trick is to use the good side of the axle and tighten the wheel on the OUTSIDE of your rear dropouts (almost as if you were going to make a tricycle and put two rear wheels on..... Tightening this side will allow you to then loosen the bad side. I know it's probably hard to imagine what I'm talking about, but next time I do it, I'll take a pic.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006983
Mobile Version of Website