Ohlins shock on my Enduro Evo is not that great...

PB Forum :: Specialized
Ohlins shock on my Enduro Evo is not that great...
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 25, 2015 at 0:08 Quote
Just got a 2014 Enduro Evo in barely used shape. Promptly took the shock off, inspected it, and replaced the spring with the 455lb one that's more appropriate for my 145lb weight.

The thing that bothers me is that the shock makes a squeaky noise everywhere in its travel (also tested unmounted, on the bench). It sounds very much as if the piston seal was going over machining ridges in the barrel. Don't think I can take it apart to check it out due to it being nitrogen pressurized.

But the reason it really bothers me is that it's not very plush. I drop the rear on the ground and the rear tire does an extra little skip instead of sitting down. My buddy's older evo with fox shock is much plusher, even with a heavier spring. It just sits if you drop it from the air.

I tried every combination of high/low speed compression, rebound, tire pressure and spring weight/preload. It just won't sit. All the linkages moved freely when I had the shock off.

Is all this normal with the Ohlins? Even the squeaky noise?

Where can I buy replacement springs. Any titanium options?

Thanks!

Posted: Nov 9, 2015 at 13:40 Quote
SA racing I believe makes a lite spring. I would send your shock in to ohlins usa if you are sure it's the shock. My sons race specialized Enduro's with ohlins at local pro level and will not ride anything else.

Posted: Nov 25, 2015 at 0:00 Quote
Yeah, the issue is I'm not sure if this is normal Ohlins behavior. Trying to get feedback from Ohlins owners on the noise and lack of "plushness".

To top it off, there is play in the front bushing on the shock, so it makes a knocking sound as well when jolted into extension or compression. Haven't quite figured out a way yet to take up the play between the bushing and the bolt it rides on.

Posted: Nov 25, 2015 at 12:57 Quote
We have three bikes that have Ohlins shocks and we have found them to be the best period. Not saying they can't fail but when they work they have no equal! Ohlins USA will have every replacement part!

Posted: Nov 26, 2015 at 15:28 Quote
First batch of ohlins shocks had issues with the eyelets stretching and then you'd get the knocking, mine lasted 2 hours. The shocks are noisy too. Also the damping circuit is a bit stiff for most, send it in and get it rebuilt, and ask for a softer/plusher tune.

Posted: Dec 4, 2015 at 0:52 Quote
Imspecyized wrote:
First batch of ohlins shocks had issues with the eyelets stretching and then you'd get the knocking, mine lasted 2 hours. The shocks are noisy too. Also the damping circuit is a bit stiff for most, send it in and get it rebuilt, and ask for a softer/plusher tune.

Thanks for the response! Sounds like you've experienced the same issues I have.
Did the noise go away with the rebuild, or do I need to put up with a squeaky sounding shock?

Posted: Dec 4, 2015 at 6:45 Quote
My new one is quieter than my first one. My shock was replaced by specialized. There's lots of shim pack issues with these shocks.

Posted: Dec 4, 2015 at 20:21 Quote
Imspecyized@ shim stack? I believe they don't use the piston (shim stack) for total damping control Like a motocross shock. They do use shims on a piston so you could have a problem but remember Ohlins makes motogp level suspension. I am far from a Ohlins fan boy but of all the shocks available they have be the best we have ran. . . period.

Posted: Dec 5, 2015 at 9:17 Quote
I'm just going off what I was told by my suspension center. I prefer my Push 11-6 over the Ohlin's any day. Ohlins is great but like anything they have issues. The motogp line if stuff is far more established than the mtb stuff currently. Most issues were found on the first few runs if mtb shocks. First few mtb Ohlin's shocks for the demo had a heat treat issue that causes the eyelet to stretch in just a few hours. Also there was quite a few that had complete loss of damping within a day or two in the bike park. Same issues came up on the early Enduro specific shocks ohlins shock. I had both these issues within 2hrs in the bike park. Took a bit of fighting to get warranty on the shock but they gave me a brand new one. See what the new year brings.

Posted: Dec 5, 2015 at 10:03 Quote
What years shock? I have only been around 2015, "16" stuff. We did put a full year on two shocks at local pro level without any complaints. And you are right "but like anything they have issues " , we do have a list of stuff we don't run because of problems. may just lucky. . . .

Posted: Dec 5, 2015 at 10:17 Quote
2014, 2015. Haven't used my latest shock yet since we have snow now. After a bit of use next year my Ohlins will be getting custom tuned for me. The box tunes are only so good.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007536
Mobile Version of Website