Single Ring Gears

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Single Ring Gears
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 28, 2015 at 12:58 Quote
Hi everyone just wondered how big of a job it was converting gears ive currently got 3 x 9 and am thinking about changing to 1 x 9, What is involved in changing this,

thanks

Posted: Sep 28, 2015 at 15:28 Quote
I'd reccomend a chain tensioner if you don't have one. Then just remove the front derailleur, and the two chainrings you don't want. A 32t Front chainring works for me and I have a 1x9 setup. Then just try to set the chainline straight on the 5th/middle gear and you should be golden.

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 5:55 Quote
i recomend a narrow wide ring up front like a race face, and a clutch rear mech like a shadow. although im not sure , but i think the narrow wide rings are desinged more for 10 and 11 speed chains, rather than 9 speed chains. i first tried 1x9 and had lots of chain drops, making the narrow wide ring useless.

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 9:40 Quote
If you get a narrow-wide single ring, you wont need a clutch derailleur. I have a clutch and N/W, clutch off or on the chain stays put. I do notice better shifting with the clutch engaged, which is part of the point of a clutch derailleur.

My SLX shadow+, XT shifter, SRAM 1050 and KMC 10.93. Can't really tell a difference between my XT 11-36 cassette and my SRAM 1050 11-36. Other than the SRAM 1050 is noisier when shifting.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010471
Mobile Version of Website