Need advice on upgrade choice. Which of these forks on these bikes?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Need advice on upgrade choice. Which of these forks on these bikes?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 18:25 Quote
So, I've got two offroad bikes, and I have my bike to work scheme eligibility coming up next year Q1/Q2. I want to get a decent upgrade for one of my bikes, and I'm torn on the decision at the moment.

Bike 1 is my DH bike. 26" Santa Cruz V10.4 - currently with a J-Tech modified 2011 Boxxer fork giving an adjustable HC adjustment in addition to the standard LC adjust, Saints/Zee drivetrain and brakes. About 16kg, with coils all round at the moment and no real effort to lighten it yet. The upgrade I would go for would be to a Bos Idylle Rare Air..

Biek 2 is my "XC" bike. 26" 2009 Giant Reign X1, with the original Fox 36 Van R with extra stiff spring to support my 98kg kitted weight on the front, I've done a few bits to improve the bike, with a DHX 5.0 air shock on the rear, 1x10 with extended range cassette, SLX finned brakes, LEV seatpost. Currently 16.5kg. The upgrade on this bike would be to go to a Fox 36 Talas 180. I know that the Talas is about the same weight, for an extra 20mm of travel, the 140mm climb mode, and lots more adjustability.

I can afford either, but not both..

I'm getting out about the same amount on both bikes at the moment. Any foreign trip for uplift serviced runs, I'd take the DH bike, but if I get to Gran Canaria to do the trails there it'll be the Reign for sure.

If you were in my position, which would you go for and what would be your criteria for choosing?

Posted: Dec 20, 2016 at 4:26 Quote
Just an update on what I did with this.
I got myself a set of Fox 40 Factory for the SC V10 in the end, as there was no availability on the Bos Idyll Rare Air in 26" wheels when I purchased back in April.
I figured that the ReignX is about as good as I want it to be for the investment, and I'd be much better served in purchasing a decent long-travel XC/Enduro bike than continually upgrading the ReignX with older and expensive components, as this would then give me a new bike with better characteristics all-round.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008708
Mobile Version of Website