Spec Enduro 650 yoke on an Enduro 29er?

PB Forum :: 29ers
Spec Enduro 650 yoke on an Enduro 29er?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+ FL
Posted: Oct 2, 2015 at 10:05 Quote
Hey,
I read somewhere (here or NSMB, I can't find the thread now) that some people are using an Enduro 650b's shock yoke on their Enduro 29er.
The reason given is that it slackens it out a bit. I think it said it was a diff length?
Wondering if anyone has any experience with this and if its even possible?
Thanks
Todd

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 2, 2015 at 16:24 Quote
Found a couple posts for anyone interested
http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/enduro-29er-linkage-963521.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/MTB/comments/2tso4h/how_to_evo_an_enduro_29/

Posted: Oct 4, 2015 at 11:12 Quote
Check out this thread

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=174243

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 21, 2015 at 11:08 Quote
I have the 650 yoke installed. It does NOT hit the frame when the shock (RS Debonair) is depressurized and compressed.
Ill post something on ride characteristics when I can get out. Might be a bit as its almost Dec in Whis but Ill get to Squa soon.
FYI, it does NOT fit with an offset bushing installed as well. Its one or the other.
Sitting on the bike and doing a driveway ride it does seem a little slacker but its not a huge difference. Ill write a short blurb when Ive gone for a ride

Posted: Apr 1, 2016 at 13:31 Quote
Awesome. Cheers for that bud. I read a few articles about it as I've just picked up a 2015 Enduro 29er and it does sit quite high on the bottom bracket. From what I've read the yoke length on the 650 is 5mm less than the 29er, which would slacken the bike out slightly more than a bike with m6 offsets at either end. At the moment mine is stock and feels just ever so slightly nervous when I'm proper rippin, can't wait to get it dropped and really open it up.

O+
Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 8:30 Quote
@snowsnow any feedback with using the 650 yoke on an Enduro 29er?

Can you confirm your frame size and rear shock type and specs

Cheers

Posted: Sep 13, 2016 at 12:40 Quote
A few details on E29 with 650b yoke:

http://wheelsizeagnostic.com/review-specialized-enduro-29-with-650b-enduro-yoke-a-better-beast/

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 14, 2016 at 14:52 Quote
jdog70 wrote:
@snowsnow any feedback with using the 650 yoke on an Enduro 29er?

Can you confirm your frame size and rear shock type and specs

Cheers

Hey, works great. I am on a 2014 L Enduro with a RS Monarch Debonair.

Posted: Nov 11, 2016 at 19:34 Quote
Hey guys, just thought I'd write about my experience with the short link.

I have a 2015 medium Enduro Elite with a Monarch (aluminum frame). To give some indication if this will work for you, with the regular link I had about 9.8mm of clearance from the seat stay bridge to the seat tube with no air in the shock and me pushing down. I think the carbon frames have more clearance, lucky you guys (carbon and clearance). With the short link, I have about 1mm of clearance with me pushing down, so I'm being pretty conservative with my air pressure (read: less sag than I normally run). I thought this was interesting because I measured the difference between links at around 5.2mm yet it affected the clearance by ~9mm, so clearly there's some linkage thing going on that messes with the brain.

With the short link, I noticed about 1 degree slacker head tube angle, so 66.5 degrees, and roughly 12mm drop in BB height. There's some difference in wheelbase, but I couldn't confidently get a measurement.

Attached is a picture to show the difference. It looks blurry but it's not....the "ghost" is the new position of the bike. The rear wheel is in the same position and everything else changed, BB height, wheelbase, HA (although hard to see, but I measured it with gimp and iphone app which match). One thing to keep in mind is the leverage ratio is changed by quite a bit, as shown here. The way this made sense in my head is if the normal curve is moved to the left until it sits on top of the modified one. The starting position of the short link is basically at the same position of normal link but after it has moved through it's stroke a bit. The original curve does look better, less regression at the end of the stroke than the modified one and I would assume less small bump compliance. Anyway blah blah, I had to run about 30 PSI more.
photo

Now a quick word on my experience with the link. I ride on Vancouver Island, so typically undulating trails (ups and downs). I didn't notice much difference in the climbing ability, a little more sluggish in the tight turns, as expected, but it's no wheely machine which is what I was concerned about. I think the BB change compensated for the HA change. I felt that any change while climbing could be compensated with body position.

Now the downs, WOW. Much more planted and stable. It owns the burms and destroys steep gnar. Never going back.

Enjoy!

Posted: Nov 21, 2016 at 14:49 Quote
Nice write up. So I have been playing with the 650b link on my med. aluminum 29er too. No clearance problems. I am guessing your fork is a 46mm offset? I am running a fox float x and 36's (51mm offset). First thing I noticed was it is a mini DH bike with the 650b link, needed air spacers in the shock so the curve did change. Not so much a trail bike anymore. The offset has a bit of an effect on slower/tighter turns. It did climb mostly the same ( more on how I feel then the bike going up!). I could get use to either but I am currently running the stock link for the wintertime. Now my son loves the 650b link. . . . . Kids!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020508
Mobile Version of Website