Trail etiquette

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Trail etiquette
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 4, 2015 at 8:27 Quote
So there are two groups of builders on the hill. With established /growing rider support. My existing trail for all abilities , gravity fed has been there for a good 6 years. The other group built a fantastic jump trail which I ride regularly. Here's the problem. They have decided to build another jump trail, great. But it cuts across my existing trail with a gap jump. I have yet to run into them being I am away doing my not so passionate paying job. Potential for injury and confrontation of a crossing trail I feel is very probable. With 20 yrs of building experience respect for other trails, builders and riders has always been top priority. Thoughts on what to do about this obvious trail violation would be appreciated. Last thing I want is some kid hitting or being hit from a intersection created with lack of respect or consideration to other riders or in that case even hikers. Might be a very good thing I am currently away and do not have access to them

Posted: Oct 5, 2015 at 14:32 Quote
Rhino73 wrote:
So there are two groups of builders on the hill. With established /growing rider support. My existing trail for all abilities , gravity fed has been there for a good 6 years. The other group built a fantastic jump trail which I ride regularly. Here's the problem. They have decided to build another jump trail, great. But it cuts across my existing trail with a gap jump. I have yet to run into them being I am away doing my not so passionate paying job. Potential for injury and confrontation of a crossing trail I feel is very probable. With 20 yrs of building experience respect for other trails, builders and riders has always been top priority. Thoughts on what to do about this obvious trail violation would be appreciated. Last thing I want is some kid hitting or being hit from a intersection created with lack of respect or consideration to other riders or in that case even hikers. Might be a very good thing I am currently away and do not have access to them

There might have to be a bridge. Mountain resort bike parks almost never allow 90 degree intersections.

This is in Seattle:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff509/austinmtbbmxalliance/Duthie_Bridge-Jump_over-Xc-trail.jpg
http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/68-dh-urban-trials-bmx-dirt-jumping/90978-seattle-vancouver-trip-colonnade-duthie-hill-whistler.html

Posted: Oct 5, 2015 at 15:06 Quote
If it's a gap jump over your trail who cares

Posted: Oct 6, 2015 at 11:46 Quote
Problem with the gap is the traffic on the main trail. Alot of young riders and high potential for collision.

Posted: Oct 6, 2015 at 11:50 Quote
That Seattle bridge is pretty nice looking. Problem here is city does not want any built up/bridged structures.

Posted: Oct 6, 2015 at 12:21 Quote
Build the gap bigger and jump over the other one, no chance for collisions

Posted: Oct 8, 2015 at 11:43 Quote
Invite them for some beers and coordinate trails together. They thought it was a good idea and said to themselves that they wont interrupt your trail. You are both trail builders so use both your talents and passion to come up with a peaceful solution.

There are a lot of trails that intersect with each other, its just nature of natural flow of the mountain. The worst that can happen is that you will have to put of signs to warn riders that there is an intersection and to be cautious of that portion of the trail.

No one likes getting hurt, that equals time off the trails and sitting at home doing netflix and chill. Im sure that the other builder will understand this concern and adapt to the high traffic section of the trail.

Posted: Oct 8, 2015 at 15:12 Quote
JacobSpera wrote:
Invite them for some beers and coordinate trails together. They thought it was a good idea and said to themselves that they wont interrupt your trail. You are both trail builders so use both your talents and passion to come up with a peaceful solution.

There are a lot of trails that intersect with each other, its just nature of natural flow of the mountain. The worst that can happen is that you will have to put of signs to warn riders that there is an intersection and to be cautious of that portion of the trail.

No one likes getting hurt, that equals time off the trails and sitting at home doing netflix and chill. Im sure that the other builder will understand this concern and adapt to the high traffic section of the trail.

Yeah, try to work it out.

Signs are okay, but not necessarily the safest/best design for a 90 degree intersection.

Normally, what's done is you have so re-route the trails so that there's a merge area (like on roadways), then you "exit" back off. However, this only works if both trails are one-directional (like at DH bike parks).

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh138/upsetbmx/Trail-Merge_Intersection-Alternative--cmc_zpsqqruvxmj.jpg

Posted: Oct 8, 2015 at 18:10 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
JacobSpera wrote:

Yeah, try to work it out.

Signs are okay, but not necessarily the safest/best design for a 90 degree intersection.

Normally, what's done is you have so re-route the trails so that there's a merge area (like on roadways), then you "exit" back off. However, this only works if both trails are one-directional (like at DH bike parks).

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh138/upsetbmx/Trail-Merge_Intersection-Alternative--cmc_zpsqqruvxmj.jpg

This. Merge intersections work on my trails. Cautionary signage on 90-degree intersections rely too much on people all doing the right thing. Sad that trailbuilders have to idiot- proof stuff . . .

Posted: Oct 9, 2015 at 10:03 Quote
Same problem at my spot. Vigilante build crews rarely are there at the same time, so its nearly impossible to coordinate.

One thing we have done is where a gap jump goes over an intersecting trail, dig the intersecting trail down several feet so the intersection happens at a low point thus avoiding collision at all. Takes way less time than building a bridge, and you get 2 rollers out of it.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011098
Mobile Version of Website