Are Bike Computers Still Relevant?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Are Bike Computers Still Relevant?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2015 at 22:10 Quote
I have a new Yeti coming next month. I've had various computers on my bike for the past 20+ years. My favorite thing to track is how many miles the bike itself has. But are they relevant anymore? I use Strava on my iPhone all the time while biking now also. Honestly, my current computer doesn't work as good. It never seems to wake out of sleep mode on its own. So I'm considering getting a newer/better one with the Yeti, but it just seems a bit irrelevant also. Do the majority of riders use one? If so, which one, and why? How does it compare to a smartphone? Thanks in advance.

Posted: Oct 18, 2015 at 18:06 Quote
I don't use one - never have / never will. The rest of my life is dominated by various computers. I don't need it 24/7.

I just want a part of the day where its just me, a bike, and a trail in the woods where riders aren't pushing each other off the trail while obsessing over their latest strava times.

Posted: Oct 18, 2015 at 19:07 Quote
I lost mine during a local enduro race. Since then i haven't thought of buying one and now use Strava on an Iphone to keep track of my progress.

Posted: Oct 25, 2015 at 21:34 Quote
I like mine, I am a simple man, being able to watch my speed and distance tick over is enjoyable.

I use strava and a HR to record data and HR that I use for training, but prefer the phone to be tucked safely away deep in the pack.

Posted: Jan 14, 2016 at 20:10 Quote
So I am the opposite. I have mostly used Strava or tracking apps and often think I should have gotten a computer. 1) I don't watch my strava so having something tell me my cadence would be nice. 2) Since I am working on fitness here I like having the data. Sometimes my strava is not started when I think it is, other times I just forget. I have had issues when I paused it and forgot to un-pause and lost part of the ride.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009238
Mobile Version of Website