10 speed cassette 11-36 or 11-42

PB Forum :: 29ers
10 speed cassette 11-36 or 11-42
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 13, 2015 at 17:37 Quote
Ok I searched but did not find what I needed. I'm switching to a 1 by 10. I was going with a 11 by 36 because it's in my price range and could not find a 11 by 40. But I came across a sunrace cassette 11-42 for 70 bucks. I would really like it but wondering if it is too wide of range. I do mostly trails with some steep climbs. Right now I'm running g a 11-34 and is pretty good but would like something more for those steep hills. Anyone using a 11-36 or 11-42 who can give me some insight . Thanks.

Posted: Nov 13, 2015 at 18:02 Quote
This is common question, with individual results. The answer is dependent on your definition of "steep hills" , your fitness level and your previous gear ratios.

It may help to calculate your current gear ratio, and see how things will stack up with your 1x.

The size of your front ring will also be a major factor, huge difference between a 28t and 36t... again, calculate out your ratios, and think about what gears you currently use the most. Then you should be able to answer the question your self.

...with all that said, 70 beans for an 11-42 is a great deal.

Posted: Nov 15, 2015 at 20:26 Quote
Yea $70 seems pretty cheap. Grab it. I run a 1x10 with a 30 tooth up front and a praxis 11-40 in the back. I would take a 42 over the 40 if I could.

Posted: Nov 18, 2015 at 4:04 Quote
Ok thanks guys . Another question. I bought the 11- 42 10 speed. Sunrace, and I have a absolute black oval 32 front. My bike was 3×8 now running 1×8 . Changing to 1×10. Need new rear derailleur , was looking at shimano xt rd m780 and 781 and read they are the same basically . The 781 says good for 43 tooth but does not say front or rear. Does anyone know what derailleur for 42 rear. Ànd how do I determine how many chain links I need for a 1×10 11-42 with 32 front. Thanks.

Posted: Nov 18, 2015 at 5:36 Quote
badley88 wrote:
Ok thanks guys . Another question. I bought the 11- 42 10 speed. Sunrace, and I have a absolute black oval 32 front. My bike was 3×8 now running 1×8 . Changing to 1×10. Need new rear derailleur , was looking at shimano xt rd m780 and 781 and read they are the same basically . The 781 says good for 43 tooth but does not say front or rear. Does anyone know what derailleur for 42 rear. Ànd how do I determine how many chain links I need for a 1×10 11-42 with 32 front. Thanks.

The difference in the 780 vs 781 is that the 781 can be direct mounted, in that the B assembly can be removed.... It will likely make no difference for you, so Wouldn't worry about it. all things being equal, you may as well get the 781 as it would be considered to be the most current of the two models.

Your question about chain length cant be answered (easily) by the internet. It will be dependent on your frame, as well as your gear sizes. Just buy a new 10spd chain, and remove the links you don't need.

Posted: Nov 21, 2015 at 10:59 Quote
Ok figured it out .put chain around biggest Chain ring then put chain around biggest cog don't go thru derailleur ,put one end stretched against spot in Chain that is tight and add 2 links. Been doing this piece meal as I have the funds. Building up a diamondback recoil full suspension. Replacing everything but frame. Reba sl Pushed fork, rockshoc monarch shock 2015. Wtb frequency rims with xt hubs,formula rx brakes,wtb bronson tires will be tubless,carbon handlebar , sunrace -11-42 10 speed cassette , shimano xt derailleur with clutch,shimano sxt shifter,180 floating brake rotors,raceface crank with bb and bash plate, absolute black oval 32 nw chainring. diety pedals,45mm stem.this is being g done on the cheap. Some quality used parts and some new.when I'm done should be below 30 lbs. Having fun doing it.

Posted: Nov 21, 2015 at 17:02 Quote
I think you should read this article first.

m.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Chain-Length-Basics-2012.html

Have fun

Posted: Dec 2, 2015 at 9:18 Quote
badley88 wrote:

As for a derailleur for a 42t rear cog - none of the stock 10spd shimano units will do it right. You either need something like the OneUp RADr cage, or the GoatLink in addition, or you can use one of the Shimano 11spd units (they are compatible with 10spd) as they are designed for the larger cogs.

Posted: Dec 11, 2015 at 4:55 Quote
Well I did some research and people said they used the xt derailleur long cage with a 42 rear and worked fine. Well started to put the new 11-42 cassette on along with xt derailleur shadow plus clutch and slx shifter. Found a YouTube video showing how to set up and adjust. I just could not get chain to get up on the 42 smooth. Called a bike shop that I bought ebay parts from, Velo mine. So the mechanic Steve says I need the goat link. So I ordered it. I don't know how other people got there 11-42 to work without the link. Anyone reading this you need a goat link or I think even shimano makes a replacement bracket. Without the link the derailleur hits the 42 cog. Hope this helps. Oh my cassette is a sunrace. I got from ebay 70.00 free shipping.

Posted: Dec 11, 2015 at 5:47 Quote
badley88 wrote:
Well I did some research and people said they used the xt derailleur long cage with a 42 rear and worked fine. Well started to put the new 11-42 cassette on along with xt derailleur shadow plus clutch and slx shifter. Found a YouTube video showing how to set up and adjust. I just could not get chain to get up on the 42 smooth. Called a bike shop that I bought ebay parts from, Velo mine. So the mechanic Steve says I need the goat link. So I ordered it. I don't know how other people got there 11-42 to work without the link. Anyone reading this you need a goat link or I think even shimano makes a replacement bracket. Without the link the derailleur hits the 42 cog. Hope this helps. Oh my cassette is a sunrace. I got from ebay 70.00 free shipping.

The RADr cage does effectively the same thing. But yeah, different people have different definitions of "works fine". For some it simply means that they are able to shift to all the cogs, despite what a "shift" might entail (two down/one up method, push and hold method, overshifting...etc). For others it means absolute perfection. I can say that my setup with the RADr cage shifts 100% like stock, which is to say perfect. No "jiggling" or "coaxing" needed. I haven't tried to do it without the RADr cage, but I doubt it's possible to get it perfect.

Posted: Dec 13, 2015 at 6:22 Quote
TheRaven wrote:
badley88 wrote:

The RADr cage does effectively the same thing. But yeah, different people have different definitions of "works fine". For some it simply means that they are able to shift to all the cogs, despite what a "shift" might entail (two down/one up method, push and hold method, overshifting...etc). For others it means absolute perfection. I can say that my setup with the RADr cage shifts 100% like stock, which is to say perfect. No "jiggling" or "coaxing" needed. I haven't tried to do it without the RADr cage, but I doubt it's possible to get it perfect.

The Rad cage is a great bit of kit. Shifting with a standard XT GS mech was adequate but often needed an over shift or double shift to work, but the Rad cage gave back that clean crisp single click shifts. I also run a Saint shifter and the combo is fantastic. I will eventually go 1x11 but for now I'm more than happy running with a piddling 10 gears.

Posted: Dec 14, 2015 at 10:38 Quote
]I have a 1x10 using a 32 front and 11x36 rear with a wolftooth 40 added. I also opted for the 16 tooth chainring.

To run this successfully on my XT shadow I had to also install a goat link from wolftooth and things work perfectly.

The goat link and 16 tooth is a must in my book if your going to go with shimano products and want good shifting. I did tons of research and testing on this and the setup above finally got me to the proper shifting and gearing I needed. If you go with 42 I would still recommend the 16 and goat link. Otherwise you'll have halfass shifting.

http://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/cassette-cogs

photo

Posted: Dec 15, 2015 at 13:38 Quote
Great to hear that the goat link will work. I'm getting
it delivered this week and will give it a good test over the weekend. At least anyone looking to do this setup will have the right information .

Posted: Dec 21, 2015 at 12:12 Quote
Ok, goat link came in today. Took maybe 5 minutes to install. Took another 10 minutes to adjust derailleur . Took is outside and shifting is as smooth as glass. Can't say anything about the radr cage but for the price of the goat link cost me 22.00 with shipping it's the most cost effective way to get the 1 x 10 11-42 to shift properly .

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2015 at 12:50 Quote
badley88 wrote:
Ok, goat link came in today. Took maybe 5 minutes to install. Took another 10 minutes to adjust derailleur . Took is outside and shifting is as smooth as glass. Can't say anything about the radr cage but for the price of the goat link cost me 22.00 with shipping it's the most cost effective way to get the 1 x 10 11-42 to shift properly .
how does the goat link compare to the part you took out?? is it shorter or longer than the link it replaced by how many mm?? does it angle the mech lower downor higher up on the hanger when compared to the standard mech?? i have a zee was considering a goat link.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020643
Mobile Version of Website