NEW DH BIKE : Peregrine DH 26"

PB Forum :: Downhill
NEW DH BIKE : Peregrine DH 26"
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 8, 2015 at 22:17 Quote
Hey everyone. I am an old new member. I have not been on here for a number of years because i have had my head in this. I have been building my own line of bikes. I initially started going after a sweet gearbox design with a high pivot. But when it came down to machining prices and stuff, it was going to be way too expensive to do on my own. So I changed gears and decided to build these frames and from selling these hopefully can use the money to get to the gearbox setup.

The frames are a true temper steel and some 4130 steel. I personally love the ride characteristics steel has. It was immediately noticeable when i first switched over from an aluminum frame. It is hard to describe but i would say the bike feels very strong and stiff but soft at the same time. It is something you have to feel. The fatigue characteristics of steel, to me, make it very desirable for this application. These frames will probably out last your riding careers. Also, if in a rare event, you dent a tube, it is most likely easily repairable at a cheap price.

Carbon has since taken over the seen during the testing of these frames. I have not ridden a full carbon DH rig, but the price just for a frame set for me is a turn off. To see $6000-$7000 DH mtn bikes, boggles my mind. I am not a cheapskate, but that is a hell of a lot of money when one crash set you back a few grand.

The medium frame weight without a shock is 9.6lbs. Fairly easy to get to a 38b build. I personally do not prefer too much lighter for DH. I am looking at where i can still get this down to 8.7-9lbs. And the frames seem bullet proof. I spent 2 1/2 years on the first prototype. Pivot and linkage bearing are still real smooth moving.

They are 26" wheels! I am not into the larger tire movement. I personally believe the whole 650b thing was started inside the industry to stimulate sales. I believe you actually want to use the smallest wheel necessary. Yes there are rollover benefits, and the touted traction benefits, but there are also the negative traits, that i feel outweigh the positive. And then where do we stop, because 32" tires rollover things better than a 29'er.

Here is the link to a video we put together with more to follow. Enjoy!

Views: 1,491    Faves: 0    Comments: 11

www.pinkbike.com/video/430700/

Posted: Dec 9, 2015 at 5:01 Quote
Looks interesting, sweet looking steed as well....

Posted: Dec 9, 2015 at 6:02 Quote
looks like you'e doing it right to me tup this is one of the only two options for suspension design, I ride a version of the other

Posted: Dec 9, 2015 at 6:20 Quote
Are you still in a R and D phase or have you started putting these into production? If you're producing them, how long does it take to build the bike from start to finish, what is the production cost, and how much are you selling them for?

Posted: Dec 9, 2015 at 10:40 Quote
We actually have 4 medium frames and a large frame just about ready to go. We have six more half way through also. We are putting together pricing and package deals. We are currently signed up with Cane Creek, Spank, Hope, Marzocchi (now going under Fox). We are looking at $1800-$2000 for a frame only. The frame comes with a custom chain guide. I have one guy who has been running his with out the guide with a narrow wide chainring. He spends his summers at Mammoth. I think he said he dropped a chain once or twice with out the guide.

This is not really about money at this point. We just think this is the best suspension platform for gravity riding. If you have never ridden a very high pivot bike, you do not know what you are missing. They absorb hits so well. You can ride faster over rougher terrain and still be in control. And we also think steel is a great material to use.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2015 at 18:10 Quote
Cool bike, looks real fun.

Posted: Dec 10, 2015 at 3:55 Quote
Definitely gonna keep my eyes on this. Good work. Stoked to see some pricing. Color options?

Posted: Dec 10, 2015 at 9:53 Quote
Thanks guys. In this first run, you can get them in any color you want as long as it is flat black with white lettering. Razz

The first 5 are painted. I may look at doing some custom colors on the next ones for those that want it.

Posted: Dec 11, 2015 at 10:45 Quote
Whenever my frame shits the bed, I'll keep you guys in mind.

Posted: Dec 11, 2015 at 17:13 Quote
Thanks man. We are also planning on building a 6" travel bike and possibly a 4" travel agressive XC style bike with a little more gravity oriented geometry. We plan on keeping with 26" wheels because that is what we prefer. I have spent sometime on a 29'er XC, and just never liked the bigger wheels.

Posted: Dec 12, 2015 at 9:07 Quote
Peregrinebikes wrote:
Thanks man. We are also planning on building a 6" travel bike and possibly a 4" travel agressive XC style bike with a little more gravity oriented geometry. We plan on keeping with 26" wheels because that is what we prefer. I have spent sometime on a 29'er XC, and just never liked the bigger wheels.

bring out a 650b!

Edit* i now see comment in first post sorry

Posted: Dec 12, 2015 at 10:26 Quote
That may be be a possibility. Just a couple of tweaks for a 650b. If we get enough interest we will do it. We are not totally dogmatically against larger wheels. We personally like to ride 26" bikes ourselves and do not think the advantages outweigh the negative aspects. We plan on designing 6" and probably a 4" bikes. And we plan on keeping them high pivot and 26". We just like the handling aspects and playfulness i guess. High pivot bikes have very good antiquate and climb very well. With my first prototype, i postponed the idle gear so i could use the granny gear for climbing. They do not bob, not even 8" of travel.

Posted: Dec 12, 2015 at 13:09 Quote
A 6'' travel bike with rearward travel and 650b would be absolute gold.

Posted: Dec 14, 2015 at 15:48 Quote
Tomorrow we are starting the layout for the 6" version. We will probably layout a 26" and a 27.5" version.

Posted: Dec 14, 2015 at 20:39 Quote
photo

Been riding this bike for two seasons now, mostly Mammoth bike park and local dh tracks. This is a proper dh rig with low standover height, 63 hta, buttery smooth suspension linkage. The rearward travel path of the back end is instantly noticeable and hammers through square edge hits, rock gardens, chatter without getting kicked around like you can with bikes with a vertical wheel path. Its most at home on steep techy terrain and pinning it through rocks. Holds its line with confidence. Havent had any mechanical issues other than some rear shock coil rub on the split frame under the seat tube. That was only with the larger diameter titanium coil. I've gone to a zocci air shock anyway at no more issues. I think the split frame has been made wider now to accommodate this though Im not 100% sure.

The bike runs quiet. No chain slap, no creaks. Theres virtually no chain growth through the travel and with an inner tube around the chain stay, no slap. Just tire and dirt and hub. The steel frame tubing is cool and has a different feel. No vibration, perhaps a softer feel though maybe that's just the suspension. Nonetheless it rides smooth. No rear end flex which I thought might be an issue. The main pivot is huge and the tubing is stiff. My build is 38 lbs. Cool bike, a head turner, looks dope

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023872
Mobile Version of Website