Ankle Support

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 13, 2015 at 2:37 Quote
Hi, I broke my leg, lateral something or other of the fibula about 8 weeks ago now. I've had the hard cast off for two weeks and was given a walking boot. I've done away with that and I'm pretty much up and walking normally. I'm back on a bike but just putting in the miles on the road to build my leg muscles again and I doubt I'll be riding off road for some time which is n't a bad thing as I don't tend to ride too much in the winter months.

What I would like to know is are there any good ankle braces/supports out there for when I'm out walking.running and the like as the last thing I want is to re-break it.

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2016 at 23:39 Quote
MCHardmanUK wrote:
Hi, I broke my leg, lateral something or other of the fibula about 8 weeks ago now. I've had the hard cast off for two weeks and was given a walking boot. I've done away with that and I'm pretty much up and walking normally. I'm back on a bike but just putting in the miles on the road to build my leg muscles again and I doubt I'll be riding off road for some time which is n't a bad thing as I don't tend to ride too much in the winter months.

What I would like to know is are there any good ankle braces/supports out there for when I'm out walking.running and the like as the last thing I want is to re-break it.

Braces are good if you are injured to keep an injury from worsening but they are kind of the duct tape of the athletic world for the most part. If you have an injury that requires prolonged immobilization (bone fractures) then when you recover your muscles are much weaker. If you wear a brace all the time then you will continue to lose the fast-twitch and stabilizing muscle fibers that already took a hit from the immobilization.

The best way to handle a situation is to not return to activity until you are fully rehabbed! Using a BOSU ball that can be found at most gyms you will be able to strengthen the stabilizer muscles in your legs. A brace can be good, but if you rely on the brace to protect you from injury then you could end up with an even worse injury than before.

Here's a link for some dymanic balance exercises to do with a BOSU. Take it easy and onky progress to a more difficult exercise once you feel comfortable.

Posted: Jul 11, 2016 at 13:38 Quote
I'm about 13 months out from a spiral fib fracture and dislocation. It was a bad, bad injury tho that I've still not fully recovered from.

Yeah, blkmrktrider156 is spot on....

I've discussed braces with my orthopod and he's skeptical that braces are effective prophylactically for an ankle injury.

I also had a discussion with an ER doctor who is into physical training and he suggested using a balance board to build back the strength.

Back when I was much more optimistic about my recovery period, I did buy a shockdoctor brace and it's reasonably comfortable (I do feel the plate and screws in my ankle at times). I think it might offer a small measure of protection, but I doubt it would do much against the types of forces it'd take to break your fibula. That said, I don't wear it all that often.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008116
Mobile Version of Website