Rotator cuff injury

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 30, 2015 at 13:32 Quote
Has anyone used any form of shoulder brace while riding,I have a full rotator cuff tear which is inoperable,I still want to ride,but i need to protect my shoulder, even small crashes take ages to come back from. I have a physical job (i am a builder)I should give it up ,but after 25 years riding ,its difficult to do .So any advice would be appreciated

Posted: Jan 11, 2016 at 10:57 Quote
TOMMY-T-one wrote:
Has anyone used any form of shoulder brace while riding,I have a full rotator cuff tear which is inoperable,I still want to ride,but i need to protect my shoulder, even small crashes take ages to come back from. I have a physical job (i am a builder)I should give it up ,but after 25 years riding ,its difficult to do .So any advice would be appreciated

I've been running the EVS brace for several months. I've had 4 Labrum surgeries on my shoulder and after the last incident have not been inclined to try out a 5th. The brace gives me a lot of stability while riding, and I've never felt like I was going to have dislocation while wearing it.

I also have been doing a lot of research on surgical alternatives. I am going in next week to try our a procedure called Prolotherapy. They essentially inject the shoulder in a few locations with dextrose (form of glucose) to cause a micro injury that will cause the ligaments to repair themselves. They also will add some of my own PRP and some HGH into the injection to promote the healing process. I obviously can't give you a first hand report on how it is yet but from everything I've read up on this actually might be a better solution than surgery. I belong to a well known sports recovery clinic and they have seen some good progress on all sorts of athletes looking for an alternative to surgery.

I've also been focusing on mobility & strength training that is more focused on my shoulders and supporting muscles. Been using resistance bands, Kettle Bells, and Indian wood clubs (unreal how much effect these have had). After working with the KB and Wood clubs I found some other pieces of equipment from www.onnitt.com. I've made some big strides in strength and overall stability over the last month using their steel maces and Steel clubs.

http://www.prolotherapy.org/
www.onnitt.com- They have wood clubs, steel clubs, and maces. Check out their videos that give a good breakdown of tons of different exercises.

I know you were just asking about braces but coming from someone who's been dealing with bad shoulder injuries for the last 14 years. I wish someone would have pointed me in this direction a long time ago.

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 at 10:15 Quote
Thanks for the advice,i will do exercises with weights etc when i can but too much pain at the moment,just working is hard enough at the moment,this last crash was only a month ago so i still hope for improvement. let me know how prolotherapy goes. good luck

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 at 11:59 Quote
Another one off for Rotator cuff injury.
It just started hurting after a ride. I didn't gave it any importance. Rode again the day after, and at the end of te day, it hunted a lot.
Went to the doctor, Diagnosed rotator cuff injury (tendinitis).
I have to say that I don't have much muscles on the shoulder, so probably thats the reason.
The doctor said it must be when i try to pull back the handlebar (running over an obstacle, or trying to manual?)
Its being a months since last run, doing some rehabilitation, still 5 more physio sessions to finish recovery.

Posted: Apr 20, 2016 at 13:55 Quote
Guys I haven't been doctors yet but i was racing and I flipped over my handlebars and ended up shoulder barging the ground, it hurt alot but most of the pains gone, but its difficult to raise my arm. is this likely to be a tear? BTW I'm 15, and have relatively strong shoulders.

Posted: Apr 28, 2016 at 7:18 Quote
i had one of those and ton of other injuries on a motorcycle hit n run accident, what helped me the most is rehabilitation exercises... therapy and going to the gym while working with light weights helped me get back on the bikes faster.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw113.htm

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013433
Mobile Version of Website