2016 Stumpjumper vs Enduro 650b climbing(No need to comment anymore since I just got a new bike, thanks everybody)

PB Forum :: Specialized
2016 Stumpjumper vs Enduro 650b climbing(No need to comment anymore since I just got a new bike, thanks everybody)
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 11, 2016 at 19:25 Quote
So I am trying to decide between these two bikes and was wondering how much better the Stumpy climbed. Is it a big difference or are they pretty similar? I plan to keep the rear shock in the Trail mode most of the time. Is that what you guys would recommend or should I run it open and switch to Trail for the climbs? I'm looking for people that have ridden the bikes and have first hand experience on them. Thanks

O+
Posted: Jan 16, 2016 at 13:35 Quote
trevor426 wrote:
So I am trying to decide between these two bikes and was wondering how much better the Stumpy climbed. Is it a big difference or are they pretty similar? I plan to keep the rear shock in the Trail mode most of the time. Is that what you guys would recommend or should I run it open and switch to Trail for the climbs? I'm looking for people that have ridden the bikes and have first hand experience on them. Thanks

Hi Trevor

I haven't ridden both, however I was also in the same dilemma as you. I ended up going for the Carbon Stumpjumper Expert.

For the record, I imagined with this bike I would enjoy the ups more, but know I'd lose a little confidence on the downs. Absolutely not the case, I've never been as fast on a trail bike heading down as I have with the stumpy. I can't imagine the Enduro would give me anything more, and I get the added benefit of easier climbing.

Hope this helps slightly.

TomO

Posted: Jan 27, 2016 at 4:01 Quote
I would have to think that the Stumpjumper would climb better than the Enduro. However, unless you're a really good rider ( I am not ) I don't think you would notice that much of a difference. Either one would be just as fun. I have an E29 and wouldn't change it for a Stumpjumper. I imagine that if I had a Stumpjumper, I would say I wouldn't change that either.

Posted: Jan 27, 2016 at 20:08 Quote
GSuperstar wrote:
trevor426 wrote:

Hi Trevor

I haven't ridden both, however I was also in the same dilemma as you. I ended up going for the Carbon Stumpjumper Expert.

For the record, I imagined with this bike I would enjoy the ups more, but know I'd lose a little confidence on the downs. Absolutely not the case, I've never been as fast on a trail bike heading down as I have with the stumpy. I can't imagine the Enduro would give me anything more, and I get the added benefit of easier climbing.

Hope this helps slightly.

TomO

Sorry for taking so long to respond, but I think I'm going with the Enduro. I want to throw in a lot of park days and do some Enduro races and maybe a DH or two. Now I just have to make the decision of 27.5 or 29 and then the model. I'm stuck between the Elite and Expert. Did you ever try the aluminum version of the SJ? Do you think it's worth the extra money?

Posted: Jan 27, 2016 at 20:11 Quote
nj82tj wrote:
I would have to think that the Stumpjumper would climb better than the Enduro. However, unless you're a really good rider ( I am not ) I don't think you would notice that much of a difference. Either one would be just as fun. I have an E29 and wouldn't change it for a Stumpjumper. I imagine that if I had a Stumpjumper, I would say I wouldn't change that either.

Did you try the 27.5 version? How did the two compare? Also what model did you get? I don't know if the carbon expert is worth the extra money over the Elite. Also helps that I have a few orange parts already and the Elite is orange.

Posted: Jan 28, 2016 at 3:58 Quote
trevor426 wrote:
nj82tj wrote:

Did you try the 27.5 version? How did the two compare? Also what model did you get? I don't know if the carbon expert is worth the extra money over the Elite. Also helps that I have a few orange parts already and the Elite is orange.

I guess let me qualify my response. I did not try the 27.5 version. The roll over of the 29 was more appealing to me and the trails I ride. 160mm of travel is over kill for my trails too, but my bike does see the occasional park ride. Also, price was a factor in my bike purchase (my E29 was a left over model) so I got a good price, better than I could have got a stumpjumper for. Now that I'm rambling, my enduro climbs much better than my old 26" santa cruz ever did so that was a win for me. I just swapped in a Wolftooth 42 and 16 cog and it's really nice. I had a carbon fat bike for a very short stretch and cracked the top tube on my first ride, so I'm leary of carbon bikes. My E29 is alum. I don't feel like cracking carbon fiber, especially with a brand like Spesh would be an issue. Probably if you are climbing a good bit more than descending, the SJ would be the way to go. Otherwise the enduro is a blast. I think I kind of answered your question...? Ha. FWIW, I think the 650b Enduro has 165mm rear travel. My E29 is 155mm.

FL
Posted: Feb 1, 2016 at 8:46 Quote
Hi chaps,

I have a 2016 650b Elite Enduro and absolutely love it. It was an insurance replacement for a YT Capra and initially I was annoyed I was getting a specialized as I loved my Capra, however very impressed.

I do a lot of park days with uplifts, however do lots of XC type riding on my doorstep too. Enduro climbs very well, I cannot comment on the Stupmy im afraid.

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2016 at 14:01 Quote
I went from a 2012 SJ 29'er to an E29 and felt like I lost nothing in climibing, however I ran both with an adjustable fork, so all my climbing and a great deal of my riding is in the 130mm position, a full 30mm below the stock 160mm fork.

IF I had to climb in the 160 postiion, I would find that to be a big compromise, but then again I would have also felt that way climbing the SJ in the 140 (tall) position.

So I personally did not feel there is any loss of climbing on the E29 other than it weighed 3/4-1 lb heavier.

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 at 7:44 Quote
It all comes down to your level of fitness anyway and what you like to ride. I ran an XC/trail bike (130mm/5in) and found it too nervous on the downhills so I upgraded to the 650b Enduro and I am still improving my strava versus my old bike. For me, being fit and being able to raise the seat high enough is all that is needed to smash uphill. Granted, you wont beat the lycra XC guys, but if you're even considering a stumpy or enduro you're probably not looking for that anyway.

If you can, try them both and see what you prefer.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.073000
Mobile Version of Website