29er Single Front Drive Train

PB Forum :: 29ers
29er Single Front Drive Train
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 21, 2016 at 4:19 Quote
Hi Folks, im new to the forum but riding the South Downs Way alot in UK on my Cannondale 29er.

I had a look at some new Cannondale & Orange bikes, even the hard tails seem to be running small single drive train, is this the new trend or for purely uphill and downhill purposes ignoring the flat bits in between?

Also, yesterday my chainset, rear meach and wheels were clogged with dirt but mate on 26 didnt suffer same issue. Clearance isnt too dissimilar, was this a speed related thing, clearance or something else, i was almost going to go back to 26 hemce looking at bikes above.

thanks for your interest, look forward to your comments.

TB

Posted: Jan 27, 2016 at 2:49 Quote
Anybody out there want to shed some light on this?

thanks

Posted: Jan 27, 2016 at 17:33 Quote
If you're talking 1x9 drivetrains then yeah, they're all the rage right now. Seems like people prefer the simplicity of it, or the reliability, I think that's really second to the fact that they just plain look cool. I'm not riding one myself (unless you count my SS 29er) but my next bike will most likely have it as I'm thinking about buying a new fat bike.

Posted: Jan 29, 2016 at 7:11 Quote
actually most are 1x10 or 1x11 drivetrains. More gearing out back means less up front. Being that you can run 40 and 42 tooth gears now there is less need for the extra gears up front and the weight of front der and additional chainrings.

I went from a 3x9 to a 1x10 recently and love the change. It also depends on if you have the legs to turn the gears and or tire size on the bike your looking at. Some beginner riders could probably not get my 29er up certain hills in my biggest gear which is 32x40.

Posted: Feb 2, 2016 at 3:25 Quote
I went from a Cannondale with a 3x9 to a Cannondale with a 2x10. I wanted to make the immediate jump to a 1x11 but the shop told me to slow it down and make sure I'm ok with the 2x10 and then make the jump to a 1x11. My wife on the other hand is going from a 3x9 to a 3x10. Won't make much difference just a few more grannies for her to climb some larger steeps.

Posted: Feb 2, 2016 at 4:11 Quote
Got a friend that runs a 1x9. We don't have real mountains around this area though. On a 26er no less. He be olde skool.

Seems like 1x9 would be a leg killer on a 29er

Posted: Feb 3, 2016 at 4:24 Quote
I run a 1x on a el mariachi and its great.

it does matter alot where you ride, and how you like to ride.

my local parks are pretty flat, with only a few serious climbs, so ill ride the 1x or SS on those trails.

I also have a 2x10 which ill ride when i know ill be doing more climbing and decending!

Posted: Feb 4, 2016 at 14:11 Quote
My first bike was a 3x9 and since then Ive had a 2x10, 1x10 and now im on a 1x11. I tried the 1x9 on my first bike which was a 100mm full suspension 29er and the 1x9 was just not enough range. As silly as it sounds however with the 1x10 I had all the gears I needed (even in places with serious elevation change). The 1x11 hands down no questions I have more than enough range. The biggest draw is simplicity and weight. You shed a minimum of 1lb (~.5kg) by getting rid of the front derailleur and shifter, while cutting down on maintenance time and cost. In truth yes you can hit lower gears with a granny gear but when it comes down to it spinning at ultra low gears is inefficient at a point anyway. In mud/rain I have literally NEVER had a SINGLE issue with a 1x drive train relating to conditions. Compared with 2x or 3x which are notorious for having issues even just slipping gears a few times on muddy rides. The simplicity just simply outweighs the ability to hit ultra low gears in my opinion.

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 5:16 Quote
Keep in mind when you got to a 1 X whatever you will get a ton of chain slap unless you go with a new clutch type rear derailleur which do not come in 9 speed.

You will also need a NW front ring or you'll be droppin the chain more than you want or go with some kind of chain guide.

I been down this road of going from a 2x9 to my current 1x10 and did lots of testing and research.

Without a new crank and going all Shimano I spent roughly $650 to go to a 10sp from a 9sp. Which was the cheapest route, if ya go SRAM your lookin over a grand easily.

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 11:00 Quote
Am I mistaken in believing that a 9 spd shifter can be paired with a either a 10 or 11 spd derailleur?

I just bought a 10 to 11 spd shifter conversion cog from Rapide that converts my X9 trigger shifter to 11-spd using the X9 10-spd derailleur. So that leads me to believe that as long as the derailleur has sufficient range & reach that it's the shifter that defines which # of cassette gears it works with.

Posted: Feb 7, 2016 at 1:51 Quote
Ok thanks everyone, ill stick with 3 x 9 for now but like Waxler, thinking about a fatty, on-one trail
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOFATTRLX01/on-one-fatty-trail-sram-x01-fat-bike

not sure how the wheels will cope with the slidy, sticky mud aound these parts, might try out a trek stache with 3 inch wide wheels to see.

Ride hard

thx

Posted: Feb 7, 2016 at 2:19 Quote
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
Am I mistaken in believing that a 9 spd shifter can be paired with a either a 10 or 11 spd derailleur?

I just bought a 10 to 11 spd shifter conversion cog from Rapide that converts my X9 trigger shifter to 11-spd using the X9 10-spd derailleur. So that leads me to believe that as long as the derailleur has sufficient range & reach that it's the shifter that defines which # of cassette gears it works with.

Correct, The sifter determines the amount of cable pull.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012296
Mobile Version of Website