Float vs DHX

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 3, 2016 at 14:24 Quote
What are the fundamental differences between the Fox Float Air and the DHX Air?

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 at 9:01 Quote
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, I don't know much about either or those shocks, Google brought this thread up though, it may help.

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=66131

Posted: Feb 11, 2016 at 10:14 Quote
DHX air is a piggyback shock, Float is an inline. The simplest practical explanation is that the piggyback shock is better for heavier riders because it has more oil reserve. If you are sub-180lbs, you likely won't notice a different. But if you are 200lbs+ like me, you'll really appreciate the piggyback shock.

Fox has changed up it's nomenclature with the latest generation. DHX is now coil only. Float X is what used to be DHX air.

Posted: Feb 11, 2016 at 10:35 Quote
Thanks. I ended up ordering an X2. I just find the in-line float simply can't keep up to extremely aggressive trails and DH and being a light rider, expected similar performance from the Float X, for the reasons you mentioned and essentially being the same tech as the inline. Everything I read about the X2 indicates that it does what I'm after. I know it doesn't have the climb switch, but I never remember to set it anyway, so it really won't be an issue for me.

Posted: Feb 11, 2016 at 11:18 Quote
samael wrote:
Thanks. I ended up ordering an X2. I just find the in-line float simply can't keep up to extremely aggressive trails and DH and being a light rider, expected similar performance from the Float X, for the reasons you mentioned and essentially being the same tech as the inline. Everything I read about the X2 indicates that it does what I'm after. I know it doesn't have the climb switch, but I never remember to set it anyway, so it really won't be an issue for me.

That's exactly what my experience has shown too. I had a Float CTD (inline) and it was great except for high speed tech. I switched to a DBairCS and that's really the only difference, the shock doesn't get overwhelmed at speed. The X2 should be even better.

Posted: Feb 11, 2016 at 12:01 Quote
TheRaven wrote:
samael wrote:

That's exactly what my experience has shown too. I had a Float CTD (inline) and it was great except for high speed tech. I switched to a DBairCS and that's really the only difference, the shock doesn't get overwhelmed at speed. The X2 should be even better.

Was going to go DB, but I need a custom version for my frame, 200x55, rather than the standard 200x57, and it wasn't worth the effort to try to track one down or have one modified. For basically the same price there was the X2, just no CS, but like I said, I never remembered to use it anyway. Big Grin

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009002
Mobile Version of Website