26" wheels on 27.5" frame

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
26" wheels on 27.5" frame
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 14:09 Quote
Hi there,
I was wondering if i put 26" wheels on 27.5" frame how is that gonna work?if at all.is there any rule of a thumb?i have got very nice frame but i am oldschool a bit and 26" wheels are the way to go for me.maybe i would change cranks from 175 to 170?we talking about ht bike.also swap 120mm travel fork for 200mm boxxers.probably some1 will say:are u crazy man?yes a bit.
How would that work?
Please share your opinions and mechanical tips.all honesty very welcome even the worst1
Thx for help in advance

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 23:44 Quote
The 27.5 wheels on the frame is doable, but I'd seriously reconsider putting a 200mm dual crown on a frame that's designed for 120mm fork. The extra leverage generated has the potential to snap the head tube off, which is usually not considered to a be a good thing. Not to mention that the bb height will be very high, the head and seat angles will be very very slack which will make the bike likely handle terribly. I'd go no more than 150mm on the fork and that would be pushing it imo.

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 at 6:07 Quote
Hi,
Thank for reply. I get ur point about putting to big forks.make sense.to much pressure on the headtube.so puting 26" wheels should be fine on 27.5" frame.bb height actually will lower by ¾ inch.so maybe if i leave 27.5" at rear but put 26" at front with bigger fork will balance it out.
I know is a hassle.just trying to figure out how 26"wheels gona affect 27.5" frame(frame itself isnt 27.5" just came with 27.5" wheels)
Thx again

Posted: Feb 7, 2016 at 21:44 Quote
I ran 26" wheelset on 650B norco last year. I found it worked perfectly fine. I'm not a very picky rider at all and it did not slow me down or hinder me in any way shape or form.
The bb was a little lower, but the angles I thought were perfectly fine. If you have a good wheelset with he correct spacing already might as well give it a shot.

Posted: Feb 10, 2016 at 8:02 Quote
Nice1 bro.thx a lot

Posted: Feb 10, 2016 at 9:31 Quote
26" wheels on a 27.5" frame will work fine apart from the slightly lower clearance on BB and crank. But with what you're wanting to do with the fork, it sounds like you're trying to make that frame do something it wasn't at all designed for. So why did you buy that frame in the first place? Even if you manage to even out the geometry with some crazy combination of wheel sizes, the frame still isn't designed to take the kind of abuse you'd need a 200mm fork for. Maybe you can give us some more insight into what type of riding you plan to do with this bike, but right now, I'd say replace the frame with one designed for a longer travel fork and more aggressive riding.

Posted: Feb 10, 2016 at 15:55 Quote
Hi,
Thx for your input.
I am comming from dh backround but due to familly comitments i had to sell my two rigs.norco six1 and 2010 norco team dh.and the only thing i can afford right now is low budget ht but the demon inside me is still within.cant help it.i do recently riding to work throuhg rought paths and occasional street but 120mm travel fork with ht is something bew and strange for me.
I bought this frame cos i found offer 2nd hand but still boxed up bike.i love the frame design and slack headtube angle but it was only available in 27.5 wheels.
I still got some loose parts around.i know boxxers are overkill but i was hoping thats some1 will tell me:yeah dude go for it.and push me over the edgeSmile ))
So thats my story.
Kind regards

Posted: Feb 10, 2016 at 17:07 Quote
Well, rather than use boxxer on your HT i prefer use a great 120 mm fork or you can change the frame into 4x or HT AM frame for better geometry but still never put boxxer on that frame.
Just think about yourself when you ride it and snap the frame and accidentally the side of the broken frame punctured your body and you go to hospital and say goodbye to mountain biking Facepalm

Posted: Jul 30, 2017 at 4:56 Quote
Im thinking about doing similar so any views on my idea, an on one 45650b frame with 26 inch wheels, im aware the bb will be lower but I have some 160mm travel durolux forks, the frame is aimed at 150mm forks and heard 160 will work and not through out the geometry, so hopefully the extra bit of travel will bump up the bb drop from the smaller wheels and make it sit as it should ie correct height bb. Am I thinking correct or would it handle like a sack of excrement. Any opinions would be appreciated

Posted: Oct 28, 2018 at 15:39 Quote
I have a 26" Rear wheel with a motor. I have the whole energetic conversion kit. 27.5 conversion kits are harder to get so I'm wanting to put the 26" Wheel on a 22" Bike that comes with 27. 5" Wheels.... Don't plan on messing with the forks. So I am also wanting to know if this will work. It has disk breaks so I don't see a problem with that.... Just a lower BB but what will that matter. What will happen

Posted: Oct 28, 2018 at 15:51 Quote
I have a 26" Rear wheel with a motor. I have the whole energetic conversion kit. 27.5 conversion kits are harder to get so I'm wanting to put the 26" Wheel on a 22" Bike that comes with 27. 5" Wheels.... Don't plan on messing with the forks. So I am also wanting to know if this will work. It has disk breaks so I don't see a problem with that.... Just a lower BB but what will that matter. What will happen

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009936
Mobile Version of Website