Is it time to hang up my wheels for my mental and physical health?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Is it time to hang up my wheels for my mental and physical health?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 12, 2016 at 17:34 Quote
Hi all!

I am writing this post to see if anyone else crashes a lot? I have been riding for about 3 years now (I am 31) and have had 1 broken collar bone, my forearm ripped open needing 14 stitches and a week in the hospital, small bails and today landing off camber on a jump I have done a lot resulting in a massively grazed forearm and back!

My mate who I ride with goes damn hard and has excelled a lot more than me has had one small crashReally Mad . This is doing my head in, is it me, is it my bike? Or I am I just really shit at this? Every time a crash or get hurt it takes the joy out of riding for me to the point that I am thinking of giving up and finding my jollies somewhere else! I ride a Merida 160Cry mainly park and gravity trailsSmile .

I do have and wear protection but it does take the feeling of freedom away for me and gives a false sense of security I recon. I do love mountain biking and I think about it 24/7, but my family comes first and I have to be there for them and I can't do that being mangled. Is there anyone else who has been through the same or feels the same that can give me some words of wisdom/inspiration? And if you want to take the piss fine by me, I can and do laugh at myself!

Cheers

J

Posted: Feb 12, 2016 at 23:33 Quote
I was heading down this road as well.....went from a more xc rider to getting in to a biiiiig bike and trying to huck anything i could and ride down anything with a hint of dirt on it....and the injuries came.

I just dialed it back and really concentrated on an all around riding style. going for smooth speed rather than balls out sketched out. I started to look for ways to pump for speed and to ride cleaner and to be honest i am much happier and i have more fun now...and I am now 43.

not sure if that answers your question or not...just my experience

Posted: Feb 13, 2016 at 3:37 Quote
Having come form a Freestyle, BMX background from the early 80's and doing more XC in my later years, I hear what you are saying. I am 43 as well and it took a LONG time for the abilities to start to creep back in. I am still nowhere near as good as the people today or where I was a long time ago. But that doesn't mean you can't have fun and work on improving.

One, make sure you have the right type of bike for doing what you want to do. I made the mistake of trying to do a lot of All mountain on a bike that really was only meant for more of extreme XC! Get at least 150mm of travel and a slack head angle so you aren't over the bars every ride, Like I was starting to do when I added jumps.

One thing that stayed engrained in me over the years was how to jump. I was very rusty but the mechanics and building blocks were still there. PRACTICE. Start small and stay within your comfort zone. Once you are there, start pushing your comfort zone. Analyze a jump before you hit it. Visualize what you and the bike have to do to clear it or land the right way. Also, when learning on a smaller jump, max out it's jumpability. Get to where you can launch as high as possible off of a SMALL jump. This will really help your confidence and train you for the bigger stuff.

When you are not riding, do as much core exercises as you can to help build up your strength to handle the bike better. If you have a stronger upper body and trunk, you can control the bike easier and be a much better suspension when things go a wrong on a jump. It also helps you ride longer and practice more.

Before you throw in the towel, try these things first and remember, very few of us are getting paid to ride a bike. We all do it for the love of how much joy it brings to us and the friendships we make while riding. That right there is one of the best feelings in the world.... other than launching a jump!

Take care Man!

Posted: Feb 13, 2016 at 11:17 Quote
Thanks for the input!!!Smile

I have a big bike a Merida 160mm enduro its not a good bike I recon and weighs a tone! I was thinking of getting a specialized enduro comp, I have ridden one before and it was a better fit and felt way more confident. I do jumps any where from 2 meter gaps to 5 meter table tops and small drops. I rode heaps as a young fella never jumps etc but rode everyday and did a little bit of proper single trail riding.

I suppose my main question is when is enough, enough in the crashing and hurting yourself badly area. I mean I have had 2 serious injuries in just 3 years of riding again, and as it looks that's a lot! Are some people just naturally born to MTB or is it a skill that takes years and years and balls of steel?

I suppose I should dial it back and just tell my riding mates to piss off when they are trying to push me to hard.

Cheers

J

Posted: Feb 13, 2016 at 12:14 Quote
i do think there are those that are more naturally adept at riding than others.....but that doesn't mean you cannot over come those obstacles.
I agree with Ryan get the right bike....sounds like you might be on a bit of a brute of a bike and that might be hampering you a bit. the one thing i do find about being an "older" rider...i still feel and act 17 though...is that I find I have a bit more disposable income now. Take the time and the money to buy the right bike. make it work for you as much as possible.

as to your last question....when is enough enough???...if mt biking ever caused me to lose my job or a significant amount of working time or if it made me choose between riding or being a good dad....i would drop it in a heartbeat. if it ever made it so I could not fulfill my duties as a father and a husband it would be out of my life.

luckily my whole family rides...so riding, for me, is part of being a good dad!!

Posted: Feb 13, 2016 at 12:25 Quote
Hey man, I know the feeling. I'm 34 and returning from a bit over a decade long hiatus from riding. I question whether gravity riding is the direction I want to go on a regular basis, based on the epic nature of the crashes associated with this sport, and my inability to bounce back immediately from big crashes as I get older. It can certainly be frustrating.

I think everyone who's commented so far has hit the nail on the head with their feedback. One thing I've done to keep positive is to dial it back a bit and try to find my "center" again; paying attention to flow and riding smooth rather than just hucking myself aggressively through technical sections or jumps. It's given me a different perspective on how I define "expertise" in my riding and how I define a successful day. To be honest, by concentrating more on my skills, rather than being radical, I've found my rides to be even more rewarding (just in a different way).

Also, the fitness portion is super important as we get older, in particular regarding strength and flexibility. I've noticed myself riding a bit stiffer when I don't train effectively, which can certainly add some sketchiness to even a simple ride.

I'd say to try and redefine how you view success and perhaps dial it back just a bit. Certainly hit the big stuff if you are feeling it. There are tons of ways to enjoy the aggressive aspects of this sport and stay within your comfort zone. Try to find what makes you happy on your bike and do more of that.

Cheers! Smile

Posted: Feb 13, 2016 at 14:41 Quote
thunderjam says it well.

Posted: Feb 13, 2016 at 19:43 Quote
Thanks for all your input and advice really appreciate it!!!

I think Ill sell my current bike and take a small break from riding and evaluate and if I am still yearning for a ride Ill get a decent bike and start from scratch, really focusing on smooth lines and having fun!Big Grin Smile

Thanks again!

Cheers

J

Posted: Feb 13, 2016 at 20:59 Quote
sounds like a plan....good luck.

Posted: Feb 15, 2016 at 2:44 Quote
I'm in the same position in the last couple of years multiple fingers, multiple ribs, clavicle held together with plates & screws & now 7 months into recovering from breaking 3 vertabre, not been back on a bike since this & just wandering if its all worth the hassle, so just deciding if I change my whyte hardtail to a full sus so it reduces pain & potential new injuries.

Posted: Feb 15, 2016 at 13:44 Quote
therrorwheel, a full suspension bike would certainly reduce some of the rattles to your body, and it does take some of the "edge" off of riding. I'd say go for it, if that is your intuition. Best of luck with your healing.

mtbernz, don't sell your bike man (unless you need to). There will come a time when you'll want to go ride, and then you won't be able to; potentially causing you to miss out on that special feeling that makes you remember why you loved it in the first place. Not every ride is a life changing experience, but I recall moments bouncing back from breaks, and on rides thereafter, where I felt like I was high because everything felt so perfect. Once you can revisit that feeling, there is nothing better. I hope you choose to keep riding. Best of luck.

Posted: Feb 15, 2016 at 17:20 Quote
You said you love mountain biking..dont give it up. Just reevaluate your riding and slow down your progression/risk taking if you have too. But at the same time ride more if you want to get your confidence up to progress.

Im 37 and have only been riding a few years. Last year I broke my colarbone and it took much longer to heal than I expected. The advice I gave you is basically what I plan on doing.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2016 at 21:55 Quote
Don't give it up, right now the crashes have you doubting yourself which is a mental game. It's one thing if it's not fun anymore but make the choice that won't leave you with any regrets. My body is trashed but I love it still, and have a few different bikes so when I'm not feeling like getting crazy I can always go for a road ride to clear my head.

Posted: Sep 15, 2016 at 8:27 Quote
Same boat here guys- got a young mind with a aging body that reminds me I cant sleep off big hits anymore. Currently recovering from smashing my shoulder, and contemplating if that oh so good speed and big air is worth months away from it, of therapy and loss of body functions; not to mention surgery isnt cheap when you're not a sponsored pro! Smile

Thing is our minds are wired for a fix - if Im not MTB, its some other equally fun but potentially risky activity.

I agree with some bros already mentioned- after a setback setting different expectations is the goal. Staying healthy and active in the game is more important in the long run than clearing 60ft jump and possible not being able to ride ever again. Stay healthy, Alert, and Ride On!

Posted: Sep 15, 2016 at 9:15 Quote
I got back into BMX at age 36. It was shocking to me how tiring it was, and then, when "The crash" happened, how long it took to not feel pain. Two weeks of constant pain even though I didn't break anything. I got a dirt jump bike as well, but I think I'll knock that on the head.

So, instead, I've refocussed and while I'll take the BMX to the track if I get the chance, I'll leave the DJ. On the other hand, I had to buy a sensible bike that would take a seat for Munchlet who's 9 months old, and hearing him babble when we go round a forest track is a great feeling too.

My take is that for physical health, learn to ride within your limits and get fitter. For mental health, what better get-away-from-it-all is there?

Focus on what you enjoy and is safe enough to be sustainable.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008456
Mobile Version of Website