best way to transport DH bike in new 2016 Tacoma

PB Forum :: Downhill
best way to transport DH bike in new 2016 Tacoma
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 13, 2016 at 7:38 Quote
I am looking for people's opinions on what would be the best way to transport dh bikes in my new Tacoma. I have a 6' box. I was thinking of the tailgate mat but on the new tacoma the tailgate is quite thick. I would say almost double the last years model. Also it would block the backup camera. Or I could keep the bikes in the box with some sort of rack. Any suggestions? Will be taking 1 to 4 bikes. I try to go to Whistler every weekend I can.

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2016 at 7:53 Quote
In the passenger seat with a seat belt on.

sorry

Posted: Feb 13, 2016 at 8:01 Quote
Build a rack, or grab a tail gate pad. My Turd F150 has a thick tailgate, with built in step and backup cam. I use a pad. I'm not concerned about covering the camera. I also built a wooden rack that I use.

There's also hitch rack options. Or just toss them all in the box and hope for the best.

Posted: Feb 13, 2016 at 8:05 Quote
robd420 wrote:
Build a rack, or grab a tail gate pad. My Turd F150 has a thick tailgate, with built in step and backup cam. I use a pad. I'm not concerned about covering the camera. I also built a wooden rack that I use.

There's also hitch rack options. Or just toss them all in the box and hope for the best.

What mat are you using?

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2016 at 11:37 Quote
robd420 wrote:
Dakine

My father has an older Tacoma and uses the Dakine tailgate pad. We can easily get five bikes in the bed and probably a 6th. Simple and easy to use. I would suggest getting a Masterlock Cobra lock to run through all the bikes and a fixed point on the bed if you plan on leaving them in the truck for any extended period of time. The Cobra is an adjustable cinch style cable lock so it's easy to use on one to many bikes.

Posted: Feb 14, 2016 at 7:50 Quote
Has anyone tried the Thule gator bike rack? I looks sturdy and very quick to get in and out.

Posted: Feb 21, 2016 at 15:31 Quote
My Ford Platinum has a fairly thick tailgate with a step and handle and backup cameras and sensors.

I just cut the tailgate pad around the camera but not high enough the tires would sit on the emblem.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 5, 2016 at 21:24 Quote
kent wrote:
My Ford Platinum has a fairly thick tailgate with a step and handle and backup cameras and sensors.

I just cut the tailgate pad around the camera but not high enough the tires would sit on the emblem.

Do you have a photo of the cut out tailgate pad?

Posted: Mar 6, 2016 at 16:33 Quote
jbyrg wrote:
kent wrote:

Do you have a photo of the cut out tailgate pad?
Pm me your phone number and I'll text it to you.
I can't be bothered to upload it to a computer

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 9:43 Quote
robsmustang wrote:
I am looking for people's opinions on what would be the best way to transport dh bikes in my new Tacoma. I have a 6' box. I was thinking of the tailgate mat but on the new tacoma the tailgate is quite thick. I would say almost double the last years model. Also it would block the backup camera. Or I could keep the bikes in the box with some sort of rack. Any suggestions? Will be taking 1 to 4 bikes. I try to go to Whistler every weekend I can.
not sure if you sorted it yet. I built a wooden 4 bike rack out of 2 x6. it's been going strong for 2 years. Do you have a 6ft bed?

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 12:00 Quote
I ended up going with the raceface tailgate pad. It works well. But honestly I would much rather have the bikes in the bed

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 12:10 Quote
robsmustang wrote:
I ended up going with the raceface tailgate pad. It works well. But honestly I would much rather have the bikes in the bed
I had a pad on my 2010 and it started wearing out the paint. When I got my 14 there was no chance haha, I used 3 or 4 2 by 6's

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 18:28 Quote
robsmustang wrote:

Really I shuttled for years constantly in my dodge and that POS had terrible everything and never wore out the paint and it would be dusty and I wouldn't even wash the tailgate before the pad went on.
My ford I like a little more so I wash the tailgate first- it's a much nicer truck

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 18:41 Quote
kent wrote:
robsmustang wrote:

Really I shuttled for years constantly in my dodge and that POS had terrible everything and never wore out the paint and it would be dusty and I wouldn't even wash the tailgate before the pad went on.
My ford I like a little more so I wash the tailgate first- it's a much nicer truck
changin times. Thinner paint, thinner metal. f*ckkkk

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008600
Mobile Version of Website