Front axle broke, help

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Front axle broke, help
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 8, 2016 at 12:55 Quote
So.... Turns out my front axle broke somehow... and i was wondering what one i exactly need....

It looks like this:

photo

Posted: Mar 8, 2016 at 22:10 Quote
You need a 9mm qr front axle. Most bike shops should have these. When it snapped, did bearings get lost? If so, you'll need those too.

One important thing to check is the races on the hub shell. If they're pitted or 'roughed up'. Replacing the bearings won't help much, as the hub won't spin as freely as new one.

I'm saying this because a new front qr 9mm hub is one of the cheapest bike components around. Wouldn't hurt to just replace the whole thing, rather than spend money to have a fixed yet damaged hub.

Posted: Mar 9, 2016 at 9:58 Quote
Metro-Gnome wrote:
You need a 9mm qr front axle. Most bike shops should have these. When it snapped, did bearings get lost? If so, you'll need those too.

One important thing to check is the races on the hub shell. If they're pitted or 'roughed up'. Replacing the bearings won't help much, as the hub won't spin as freely as new one.

I'm saying this because a new front qr 9mm hub is one of the cheapest bike components around. Wouldn't hurt to just replace the whole thing, rather than spend money to have a fixed yet damaged hub.

What's your opinion on the strength of quick-release front axles? I was going to suggest that the OP get a solid nutted axle one instead of quick release.

I've always used BMX 3/8" solid axles on my bmx bikes. My first DJ-Mtb, a DK Xenia, had a solid front axle, and after that I've used 20mm-thru axles on other mtb's.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/images/Victim%20Front%20Hub.JPG

Posted: Mar 9, 2016 at 14:35 Quote
Metro-Gnome wrote:

i managed to get those out and save them

Posted: Mar 9, 2016 at 14:38 Quote
Metro-Gnome wrote:

cause i asked a bike shop and all they asked was is it 10mm or 20?

Posted: Mar 9, 2016 at 14:48 Quote
It's a 10mm...well.m.actually 9mm, but basically the same thing. A 10mm axle will fit a qr fork dropouts 99% of the time.

Posted: Mar 9, 2016 at 15:19 Quote
Metro-Gnome wrote:
It's a 10mm...well.m.actually 9mm, but basically the same thing. A 10mm axle will fit a qr fork dropouts 99% of the time.

Yeah, it'll likely fit into the fork, but if he's putting the hardware of a 9mm axle hub onto a replacement axle, that's not gonna work.

I thought front solid mtb axles were often 9mm and rear solid axles are often 10mm.

BMX are 3/8", which is 9.5mm. A 3/8" nut will not thread onto a 10mm axle.

Posted: Mar 9, 2016 at 19:58 Quote
The 9mm front is the qr axle. The 10mm is bolt-on front. I was mistaken, though, and applied the rear axle 10mm solid bolt-on axle conversion to front axles.

Cmc is right, a 10mm axle moght not work as a replacement. I know people have converted rear axles from qr to bolt-on, but on the front it won't (or shouldn't) work.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009973
Mobile Version of Website