Show your Giant !

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Show your Giant !
Posted: Sep 21, 2014 at 11:56 Quote
USMC wrote:
You would be surprised at how well a good set of flats and 510's stay planted. I have yet to bounce off my pedals on rocky fast sections. Having ridden both the pedal efficiency is not big enough improvement for it to outweigh the advantages I get from flats. To each their own just my experience over the years
I am out growing my current shoes so maybe its time to try flats. Any recommendations on decent flat pedals?

Posted: Sep 21, 2014 at 12:22 Quote
iamenduro14 wrote:
USMC wrote:
You would be surprised at how well a good set of flats and 510's stay planted. I have yet to bounce off my pedals on rocky fast sections. Having ridden both the pedal efficiency is not big enough improvement for it to outweigh the advantages I get from flats. To each their own just my experience over the years
I am out growing my current shoes so maybe its time to try flats. Any recommendations on decent flat pedals?
atlases are sick.

from my fairly extensive time on both, I'd say flats are better when it's really unpredictable and you expect to have to dab a foot. Clips are better if the trail is predictable/well known because they allow you to do things that you simply cant do with flats (especially on flow/jump trails).

Posted: Sep 21, 2014 at 12:33 Quote
Nobble wrote:
iamenduro14 wrote:
USMC wrote:
atlases are sick.

from my fairly extensive time on both, I'd say flats are better when it's really unpredictable and you expect to have to dab a foot. Clips are better if the trail is predictable/well known because they allow you to do things that you simply cant do with flats (especially on flow/jump trails).
Ive only had a day on flats but I was using running shoes and kona wah wahs. Probably not the best combo. It was up in jackson hole bike park. I'd have to say i prefer clips on bike park stuff. Only because in Jackson I got bounced off the pedals on the lip of a table and went straight off my bike. Likely due to improper technique/ bad suspension set up. I was on a large kona entourage which was set up for someone 190 lbs and I am 130. Either way, you most certainly will not get bounced off with clips. I'll probably give flats a try just out of curiosity. Who knows, maybe i'll actually like them haha

Posted: Sep 21, 2014 at 12:44 Quote
If you've only ridden clips then I would very strongly suggest investing in a pair of five tens and some mid-high end flats such as atlases, podium2's, or spikes.

it will make you a much better rider overall. I had a guy come out for a lesson this summer who has only ridden clips and it actually crippled his jumping progression.

Posted: Sep 21, 2014 at 12:46 Quote
Nobble wrote:
If you've only ridden clips then I would very strongly suggest investing in a pair of five tens and some mid-high end flats such as atlases, podium2's, or spikes.
As far as the five tens go, They make some that are interchangeable flat and clips right? If they do would you recommend those or should I go straight flat?

Posted: Sep 21, 2014 at 17:37 Quote
iamenduro14 wrote:
Nobble wrote:
As far as the five tens go, They make some that are interchangeable flat and clips right? If they do would you recommend those or should I go straight flat?
no, they dont.

Posted: Sep 21, 2014 at 17:45 Quote
If your only experience on flat pedals is how you mentioned running shoes/ flats then that was half the problem. I run atlas pedals and 510 free riders and the combo is awesome. you would be surprised at how well your feet stay planted

Posted: Sep 21, 2014 at 19:36 Quote
USMC wrote:
If your only experience on flat pedals is how you mentioned running shoes/ flats then that was half the problem. I run atlas pedals and 510 free riders and the combo is awesome. you would be surprised at how well your feet stay planted
I think I'll give flats a try but really only out of curiosity. I feel very comfortable with clips because I've been using them for about 2 years now. So, if I get flats, it'll likely take a while to get adjusted.

Posted: Oct 11, 2014 at 9:09 Quote
My Giant Glory in all glory!
Need just Vivid Air Big Grin
Giant Glory - finished Hope Shimano XT KMC MRP RaceFace RockShox SRAM
Beer Beer Moustache Beer Beer

Posted: Oct 11, 2014 at 9:58 Quote
The Glory is fantastic!

I am reposting my recently upgraded Reign SX.

photo

Posted: Oct 11, 2014 at 11:36 Quote
Nice glory... looks sweet! I do have to ask... Why did you opt for the totem vs a boxxer, fox 40, etc. ?

Posted: Oct 11, 2014 at 11:59 Quote
iamenduro14 wrote:
Nice glory... looks sweet! I do have to ask... Why did you opt for the totem vs a boxxer, fox 40, etc. ?

Thanks man! I opt for Totem because I just like single crown forks and I don't feel like I need a Boxxer or something with dual crown. Totem is enough for me Big Grin

Posted: Oct 11, 2014 at 13:30 Quote
FilipN12 wrote:
iamenduro14 wrote:

Thanks man! I opt for Totem because I just like single crown forks and I don't feel like I need a Boxxer or something with dual crown. Totem is enough for me Big Grin
Its like an ultra beefed up reign haha... Is it any lighter than with a dual crown?.. I'm not terribly familiar with the totem.

Posted: Oct 13, 2014 at 6:22 Quote
photo

Giant reign custom build

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 5:13 Quote
Question,

I've got a 2014 Giant Trance Advanced 1 and just sold my OD2 fork that came with it.
I've bought a tapered steerer Pike now.
Was wondering which headset I need, in order to fit a standard tapered steerer?

Thanks

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.030262
Mobile Version of Website