Post Your Specialized SX

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Post Your Specialized SX
Posted: Feb 16, 2016 at 19:45 Quote
Picked this one up a few months ago and have finally got it set up to my liking.
photo

Posted: Feb 16, 2016 at 19:49 Quote
Mbcbags, aside from the SX yoke, is there any other modification needed to get the air shock to fit? Looks bad ass man!

Posted: Feb 17, 2016 at 6:50 Quote
Nope, I ordered the yoke from my lbs and it fits perfectly. I figure it drops around 1 1/2 -2 pounds off the bike so it's well worth the effort. That and having an air fork up front makes the bike handle like a dream since it's now in the 35 lb range (maybe a little less?).

FYI, the shop told me that Specialized said there's only a few of the yokes left in their inventory. So order soon if you're going to do the swap as they're not going to make any more.

Posted: Feb 17, 2016 at 7:07 Quote
Thanks! So its the regular sx yoke right? Any chance of having the part #? And lastly i assume you could run any air shock in the 8.5x2.5 range by doing this? Thanks again!

Posted: Feb 17, 2016 at 11:22 Quote
I ordered the yoke for a 2012 SX and sorry to say I don't have a part number. But the shop was easy to work with on that regard.

I used a Fox shock because the 2012 bikes came with the RP23 so I knew the yoke would fit the shock end. I'm not sure about any other brands since their shapes/dims might not line up. But the DHX shocks from Fox are great options and are keeping me happy.

Posted: Feb 24, 2016 at 12:20 Quote
mbcbags wrote:
I ordered the yoke for a 2012 SX and sorry to say I don't have a part number. But the shop was easy to work with on that regard.

I used a Fox shock because the 2012 bikes came with the RP23 so I knew the yoke would fit the shock end. I'm not sure about any other brands since their shapes/dims might not line up. But the DHX shocks from Fox are great options and are keeping me happy.

Found the package the yoke came in. It says "SHK SX SHOCK" the bar code is 50001559, and the second bar code reads S104200007, my guess is that it is the later bar code you need.

Posted: Mar 1, 2016 at 18:28 Quote
Im trying to go 1x on my 2011 sx and was seeig if any of you knew if a 68/73 zee crank would work on it
photo

Posted: Mar 1, 2016 at 19:15 Quote
I dont see why it wouldnt. Im running older xt's and they work perfectly.

Posted: Mar 1, 2016 at 19:17 Quote
Ser3100 wrote:
I dont see why it wouldnt. Im running older xt's and they work perfectly.
did you use the bb that came with the xt cranks

Posted: Mar 1, 2016 at 19:24 Quote
Yup. I did. Running it with a 30t race face ring.

Posted: Mar 10, 2016 at 21:44 Quote
For people who have done it:

How do 2011/2012 SX Trails feel with an air shock?

Was thinking about getting that SX yoke and an air shock, but I've never ridden an SXT with an air shock so wondering how it affects the ride?

Posted: Mar 10, 2016 at 22:12 Quote
paradiseburning wrote:

Was thinking about getting that SX yoke and an air shock, but I've never ridden an SXT with an air shock so wondering how it affects the ride?

Mine was an '09 Trail, but it had a Fox RP23 on it. Climbed decently, but RP23's aren't the best for really choppy DH stuff. If you could get a Monarch or Vivid on your Trail, it'd probably ride really similar to a modern Enduro.

2009 Specialized SX Trail I

Posted: Mar 10, 2016 at 22:57 Quote
[Quote="tf02"]
paradiseburning wrote:

Mine was an '09 Trail, but it had a Fox RP23 on it. Climbed decently, but RP23's aren't the best for really choppy DH stuff. If you could get a Monarch or Vivid on your Trail, it'd probably ride really similar to a modern Enduro.

I'm running the same (09 with a fox float ctd) and would definitely agree with the choppy dh. A lot of people who do this recommend fitting an air spring volume spacer. Otherwise it can feel a bit vague for general trail riding.
After trying both air and coil i have to say, the bike is much better suited to a coil shock and used as a mini dh/park bike rather than an all rounder compared with modern trail/enduro bikes.

Posted: Mar 12, 2016 at 6:28 Quote
Here's my Sx trail just built up with all new components, unable to ride it now though after having knee surgery.
photo

Posted: Mar 22, 2016 at 22:13 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/13298442/

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018403
Mobile Version of Website