Post your 4X bikes

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Post your 4X bikes
O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 9:55 Quote
a month to get my whip dialled...
got a long way to go on practically zero budget bahah
photo

do you know what the rule is for front brake?

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 9:57 Quote
i think you have to have one but i am not sure you would have to contact tom dowie about that one...in my opinion if you just put a front brake on that it will be fine

Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 9:59 Quote
silverfish1974 wrote:
nwthumbs wrote:
Keep the zee mech and get a saint shifter

This^

It seems that the Zee mech with a Saint shifter is a popular combo. I use it. I even read that pro mtb'ers have been swapping out their Saint derailleurs for Zee because they are more reliable and cheaper to replace.
The Saint shifter is far better than a Zee shifter as it has the 2 way shifting feature and is better quality, it can also be bought for the bargain price of £30.

I'm being lazy but where do you get the saint shifters for £30? CRC?

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 10:00 Quote
£40:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-saint-m820-1x10-speed-trigger-shifter/rp-prod82455

Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 10:29 Quote
Chicksands winter round 2, 22nd Feb
Round 3, 22nd March

Hanthill round 2, 15th Feb
Round 3, 15th March

Winter series in Falmouth Cornwall. Starts soon

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 10:45 Quote
damn it can't get to any of them apart from round 3 chicksands Frown

Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 11:23 Quote
Will4X wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:
nwthumbs wrote:
Keep the zee mech and get a saint shifter

This^

It seems that the Zee mech with a Saint shifter is a popular combo. I use it. I even read that pro mtb'ers have been swapping out their Saint derailleurs for Zee because they are more reliable and cheaper to replace.
The Saint shifter is far better than a Zee shifter as it has the 2 way shifting feature and is better quality, it can also be bought for the bargain price of £30.

bikediscount.de..Smile Think they're less than £30 today but add a few quid postage.

They have a couple of different ones, bar mount and I-spec/b, maybe a little bit extra for postage and their prices often change every now and then up and down but only a few quid.

Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 11:53 Quote
silverfish1974 wrote:
Will4X wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:

This^

bikediscount.de..Smile Think they're less than £30 today but add a few quid postage.

They have a couple of different ones, bar mount and I-spec/b, maybe a little bit extra for postage and their prices often change every now and then up and down but only a few quid.

Cheers...need a couple other thing to will take a look.

Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 12:03 Quote
Will4X wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:
Will4X wrote:

Cheers...need a couple other thing to will take a look.

Yeah they often have some of the best prices on certain stuff. Just in case you don't know; If you buy anything, at check out you'll get the option of DPD or DHL delivery, both the same price but I use DPD as about a day or 2 after ordering you'll get a tracking number with tracking to your door within an hour delivery slot. I've never used the DHL option so don't know how good that is.

Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 17:55 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
timon92 wrote:
If you can run 9sp go for X0/X9 9sp shifter and Zee/Saint 10sp derailleur - best combo I've ever used.
What's the benefit in that? Why not run fully 10 speed? I know a lot of people do it I just never understood why..

You can run clutch derailleur without changing whole drivetrain if you're running 9sp. And you can use Sram shifter which is (for me) much better than Shimano. Ofc you can buy Sram 10sp clutch combo but it's more expensive and I don't feel need of 10 gears when running just 6 cogs.

Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 18:50 Quote
timon92 wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:
timon92 wrote:
If you can run 9sp go for X0/X9 9sp shifter and Zee/Saint 10sp derailleur - best combo I've ever used.
What's the benefit in that? Why not run fully 10 speed? I know a lot of people do it I just never understood why..

You can run clutch derailleur without changing whole drivetrain if you're running 9sp. And you can use Sram shifter which is (for me) much better than Shimano. Ofc you can buy Sram 10sp clutch combo but it's more expensive and I don't feel need of 10 gears when running just 6 cogs.

I second that, the 9sp combo is cheaper than buying a whole sram 10sp set which will cost you a kidney as those sets are 200-400 compared to shimano which are 80-200. I might build up 4x frame again if money allows. Right now, I have a frame, post, and a cassette. As I don't want to go back to the world's worst hubs *chough*xt*chough* what wheelset is cheap and runs under 200? Also, what fork? I've seen RS recons floating on ebay and the buy sell for 150-200 ish, are they worth?

Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 20:58 Quote
Might be able to pick up Nuke proof generator wheels for pretty cheap

Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 23:03 Quote
Generators are solid wheels i ran them for a while, super strong and relatively light

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 23:16 Quote
Yeah Nukeproof are solid.

I'm definitely genna buy a Generator hub for the rear as soon as possible, low cost and low weight

Posted: Jan 22, 2015 at 2:01 Quote
Theeeeo wrote:
a month to get my whip dialled...
got a long way to go on practically zero budget bahah
photo

do you know what the rule is for front brake?

No front brake needed. Ive not been running one.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.028874
Mobile Version of Website