DH Helmet VS MX Helmet for Downhill

PB Forum :: Downhill
DH Helmet VS MX Helmet for Downhill
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 23, 2016 at 16:20 Quote
I am just starting Downhill Mountain biking and I currently have a EVS MX helmet.
As a beginner, would I be better off with a DH helmet or should I just stick with a MX helmet.

Posted: May 23, 2016 at 16:28 Quote
get a DH specific helmet.... generally, MX helmets have different ratings. they are meant for higher speed impacts, where DH you are traveling slower (well most of us).. so i believe they are softer? dont quote me on that one, thats just what i remember reading/researching about.

Posted: May 23, 2016 at 16:57 Quote
Get yourself a good DH helmet,100%,Fox,TLD, a lot lighter more visibility and MUCH better vents,cooling.
Best money you'll spend is on good helmet,armor,goggles.

Posted: May 23, 2016 at 16:58 Quote
...btw,there's an entire thread just below on helmets,goggles. Great resource.

O+
Posted: May 24, 2016 at 13:15 Quote
I disagree with the other posters, I use an MX helmet with DOT rating. Often the speeds we hit in DH are comparable to MX and especially enduro (moto that is), and I'd rather spend twice as much on one higher quality helmet for both sports than have 2 sport specific helmets. When you start getting into the $400-600 range the weight, venting, and visibility of a mx helmet is comparable to any DH helmet worth buying anyway.

DOT helmets are also better for multiple impacts, since the test assumes the rider will tumble. How many of us actually replace a helmet after every fall the way we should, as opposed to every 1-2 years?

Posted: May 27, 2016 at 1:47 Quote
RaiderBoss wrote:
I am just starting Downhill Mountain biking and I currently have a EVS MX helmet.
As a beginner, would I be better off with a DH helmet or should I just stick with a MX helmet.

i would say that if you already own a dot helmet you should not spend on a specific dh helmet now
because you just start dhilling and better wait to spend more.

also,dot helmet provides very good protection and confort but they lack mostly on heat build-up
(less ventilation) and weight.

so keep your hard earn bucks for more rationalized expenses.
by the way hope you will enjoy downhill!

Posted: Jun 5, 2016 at 9:12 Quote
I'm trying to make the same decision myself about what to buy. Recently had a bad enough crash to warrant replacing my Fox rampage pro carbon.
Now, the new ones have the mips lining and they fit smaller, mines already small on me (xl) so I'd have to buy the next size up but can't get xxl in Australia.

I know moto helmets are but stiffer but if you get one with duel density foam, would that be help the issue? Or just buy a xxl rampage overseas and hope it fits me?
Thanks

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008191
Mobile Version of Website