Help understanding Headsets

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Help understanding Headsets
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 24, 2016 at 20:12 Quote
Hey Guys,

Recently got into xc biking and decided to build my own biking on a whim. I acquired a 2015 cannondale scalpel and a 2015 manitou Marvel pro. I understand for the most part how to put everything together except for what headset to get. I am really confused how what to measure and what sizes should fit. From what I have read you are suppose to measure the inner diameter of the frames tubing to see what headset fits but the inner diameter of the scalpel is 2 inches and I haven't found any headsets that size! Can anyone shed some light on how and what to measure so I can get the correct headset. Maybe there's a tutorial somewhere? Any help would be great.

Thanks guys!

Posted: May 24, 2016 at 20:59 Quote
First of all in the bike world everything is in MMs except wheel sizes, and a couple of other minor things. I believe your fork has a tapered steerer so you need to get this headset (Cannondale Trail SL 1.5" Semi Integrated Headset - KP191) you only need the bottom cup DO NOT USE THE TOP CUP. Your existing top cup is the correct size.

Posted: May 24, 2016 at 21:44 Quote
north-shore-king wrote:
First of all in the bike world everything is in MMs except wheel sizes, and a couple of other minor things. I believe your fork has a tapered steerer so you need to get this headset (Cannondale Trail SL 1.5" Semi Integrated Headset - KP191) you only need the bottom cup DO NOT USE THE TOP CUP. Your existing top cup is the correct size.

ah ok, I didnt know you guys did everything in MM. This is much easier for me lol. Yes the fork has a tapered steerer. I dont have any cups right now. can I just choose any top cup that I'd like?

Posted: May 27, 2016 at 23:11 Quote
Cane Creek do an online headset cup finder for different frames but I've never used it....Try and google it!

Posted: Jun 5, 2016 at 21:36 Quote
Clerps wrote:
north-shore-king wrote:

ah ok, I didnt know you guys did everything in MM. This is much easier for me lol. Yes the fork has a tapered steerer. I dont have any cups right now. can I just choose any top cup that I'd like?

Yes any top cup will work.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.072129
Mobile Version of Website