Which Fox fork oil and seals? Gold or green?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Which Fox fork oil and seals? Gold or green?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 27, 2016 at 13:10 Quote
I have a 2015 Lapierre Zesty AM427 with the standard Fox Float 150mm O/C Evolution fork.

I want to do a lower leg service/oil change on it. Last time I did this job on a bike was with an older set of forks, so used fox green oil.

According to Fox website, my forks need the gold oil in. Will my forks already have the compatible seal kit for the oil? I have had a look and on the seal it is stamped 'SKF' and 036-02-063.

I still have some green oil. Can I use this, or do I have to use gold?

Thanks in advance.

Posted: May 28, 2016 at 12:16 Quote
you can use Motorex fork oil, 5w or 7.5w, basically the same stuff as Fox oil, but very much cheaper.

Posted: May 28, 2016 at 20:50 Quote
mrbrownstone wrote:
you can use Motorex fork oil, 5w or 7.5w, basically the same stuff as Fox oil, but very much cheaper.

The fox gold oil is 20w, the older green oil is 10w. Wouldn't you want to use something closer to 20w as a less viscous oil will decease the maximum amount of damping you can have on your fork. Obviously this is only a problem if you run your rebound about 3-4 clicks from slow or slower.

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 16:39 Quote
If it is the open bath cartridge do not use gold it will destroy your damper use maxima 10wt or fox 10 wt red. Fox green is no longer being made. if it is the fox evolution with a ctd adjuster on top you are ok to use gold.

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 19:20 Quote
Dirtlabs wrote:
If it is the open bath cartridge do not use gold it will destroy your damper use maxima 10wt or fox 10 wt red. Fox green is no longer being made. if it is the fox evolution with a ctd adjuster on top you are ok to use gold.

Straight from fox's website
http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=452
http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=454

20wt gold oil is fine as long as you have the latest fox/skf seals that are compatible with the gold oil and it is an o/c or FIT damper.

O+
Posted: Jun 3, 2016 at 10:12 Quote
FWIW, 'weight' here is an SAE measure defined to cover automotive needs and doesn't really describe what is relevant for good fork oil. 10/20 'weight' isn't relevant, there are some other properties of the specific oil that are what matter.

When I redid my fox forks I got the new seal kit which enabled me to use the new gold oil.

The gold oil is the strangest oil I've ever seen, like some alien stuff.

Sticky and stringy like Japanese fermented tofo (natto), and it reeks like gear oil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natt%C5%8D

I thought the new oil made a huge difference in reducing stiction (above and beyond the delta you get from changing oil.) Sure other oils might be great too but this gold stuff was really unusual stuff, sticky and thick.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008834
Mobile Version of Website