SRAM Guide RS stuck lever

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
SRAM Guide RS stuck lever
Posted: Oct 24, 2016 at 7:58 Quote
NormanPerez wrote:
Schummy wrote:
Are the replacement plungers the "right size"?

They are the original size but it's a tight fit. The plungers move freely but if they swell up again. Even a little bit. They will stick. I have half a mind to sand them down a bit as a preventative measure.
What's the part number? There is suppose to be an updated rebuild kit BUT nobody seems to have the right part number.

Posted: Oct 24, 2016 at 16:50 Quote
Wasn't aware. I'll check it when I get home. I bought them off worldwidecyclery.com

Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 7:03 Quote
This is a problem that sram is aware of and will warranty. I just warrantied one for a customer yesterday. According to sram they have had some tolerance issues straight out of the factory that some of the Mc pistons are coming out slightly over sized and when they swell even the tiniest bit they stick. It has been an issue on both guide and the db5s. Call sram tech support, give them the serial off of the caliper and they will send out a new lever and hose kit.

Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 7:33 Quote
lyfcycles wrote:
This is a problem that sram is aware of and will warranty. I just warrantied one for a customer yesterday. According to sram they have had some tolerance issues straight out of the factory that some of the Mc pistons are coming out slightly over sized and when they swell even the tiniest bit they stick. It has been an issue on both guide and the db5s. Call sram tech support, give them the serial off of the caliper and they will send out a new lever and hose kit.
Do you have the number for Asian countries like the Philippines?

Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 8:49 Quote
I dont, sorry, I'm in the us.

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 21:04 Quote
Schummy wrote:
NormanPerez wrote:
Schummy wrote:
Are the replacement plungers the "right size"?

They are the original size but it's a tight fit. The plungers move freely but if they swell up again. Even a little bit. They will stick. I have half a mind to sand them down a bit as a preventative measure.
What's the part number? There is suppose to be an updated rebuild kit BUT nobody seems to have the right part number.

Has anyone asked Sram about the new kit, and did they give a number?

Posted: Oct 26, 2016 at 8:59 Quote
That's my problem. I can't seem to find their email address & the local distributor is actually also my LBS. They sand it too to fix it.

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 at 13:54 Quote
Does anyone knows if this problem was fixed in the new 2017 models? My LBS says it was, but I'm doubtful... If it wasn't I'll go shimano.

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 at 0:50 Quote
I have not purchased any 2017 models...

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 at 12:59 Quote
It showed up on the new warranty ones I received in April. They came with the updated caliper from the ultimates so I think that means they are a 17' set.

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 at 14:10 Quote
This is what the DB5, R, RE updated lever piston assembly looks like. I wonder why RS was not part of the description, the service manual indicates that the lever piston is interchangeable.

Seems like the dragging points are a lot smaller in diameter.

photo

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 at 15:15 Quote
SRAM Guide RS Mountain Bicycle Brake Lever Internals - 11.5018.005.004

photo

Found this on Amazon sold by excelcycle. Their own website has a different picture though...Eek

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010737
Mobile Version of Website