Chain line

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 27, 2016 at 16:08 Quote
Looking for a bit of advice here. Had an old norco sasquatch which had been upgraded to a 1x10. Decided to swap the bike build over onto a norco shore frame but for some reason in the 1st 3 gears it wants to throw the chain off the chainring. It's fine when you spin the cranks but under load, basically when your riding, it just throws the chain.
Anyone any ideas?

Posted: Jun 27, 2016 at 23:43 Quote
Did you use the same chain or a new one? If the chainstays are different lengths you're going to have problems unless you resize the chain.

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 6:35 Quote
billyboysdad wrote:
Looking for a bit of advice here. Had an old norco sasquatch which had been upgraded to a 1x10. Decided to swap the bike build over onto a norco shore frame but for some reason in the 1st 3 gears it wants to throw the chain off the chainring. It's fine when you spin the cranks but under load, basically when your riding, it just throws the chain.
Anyone any ideas?

Got a couple of ideas, but which one is really applicable will probably require some trial and error to figure out.

My first thought is to ask what you're running in the way of derailleur and chainring. If you aren't running a narrow/wide chainring and clutch type derailleur, that is one area where you'd probably see some improvement.

Next, I'd look at your chainline. If your best chainline is more towards the small side of the cassette than the big side I would look at relocating your chainring to a more inboard position.

If none of the above helps, I would look at getting some kind of chain retention device for the chainring.

Now you may be suffering from a worn cassette, chain, and/or chainring as well, so if those items are getting old, that is also something to look at. Diagnosing drivetrain issues like yours can be tough because there are so many possible causes. Having a friend ride along side observing drivetrain function often helps, but not always. Mounting an action cam on the bike so that it frames the drivetrain then riding and recording might help as well.

If all else fails, taking it to a competent mechanic is often a good solution...

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 13:28 Quote
Please supply pics of drive.

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 15:19 Quote
Saint shifter and zee mech. Worked perfectly before. Could possibly be the chainline. It was installed by my lbs, but sometimes they can be a bit hashy. I'll try and get another look at it when I'm back home next week.
Thanks for the replies guys.

Posted: Jun 29, 2016 at 16:06 Quote
Tweaked hanger could be the culprit too

Posted: Jul 24, 2016 at 22:38 Quote
allsk8sno wrote:
Tweaked hanger could be the culprit too
X2

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012174
Mobile Version of Website