Switch back and forth between 29 wheels to 27.5+? How often on what bike and riding terrain?

PB Forum :: 29ers
Switch back and forth between 29 wheels to 27.5+? How often on what bike and riding terrain?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 30, 2016 at 6:25 Quote
I am in the market and trying to decide if 29r is just the better way to go vs 27.5+ or should i buy a bike that does both.
I think what kind of riding you do may make a difference in if you prefer a 29 only or a 27.5+ or switching wheels between both.
I am 6'1" 171 pounds.
I still have a Ellsworth Truth 26" wheel bike.
I live in Northern Virginia and ride it all, technical, climbing, descend, rocks, sand, roots, true single track, open or double track... I also may like to race, like I used to.
The Ibis Ripley was very nice to demo but I am in the middle of Large and XL.
I am waiting to hear more about pedal strikes and the fix. Also want to ride if possible the new Trek Fuel EX in 29 or + size.
BUT I do NOT want to wait till next year. My parents are needing more and more care so my free time is becoming more and more valuable.
A guy at a local TREK shop also highly recommended the SANTA CRUZ Hightower along with the IBIS Ripley LS. He seems to be more downhill oriented and the Hightower as far as I can tell is heavier and maybe more expensive for me. I am interested in the high end high $ models so my impression is the parts for the frames is the hold up/ slowing delivery at times.
Also tell me if I am wrong but the IBIS 942 wheels seem like a good price for the quality and weight.
The Ripley LS I demoed seems like a very good bike for the money and quality. The Ripley is 29r only unlike the TREK.
I have been researching all this bike stuff like crazy.
I also demoed the SPECIALIZED Stumpjumper and Camber. The Specialized seemed too pricey and the Demo was terrible. There was nobody to answer questions or to sell the bikes.
I think the Customer Service and pricing seem better for the IBIS and TREK. I have heard SANTA CRUZ has been bought and along with that better customer service and quality control.
Thank you.

Posted: Jun 30, 2016 at 8:17 Quote
Go 27.5 Plus. More versatile, shload more fun depending on what you like in a bike. Rolls like a 29'r corners like a 26'r.

I've been on Trek the last 6 years. Have shifted from 26" Slash to Cannondale 650b+ (Bad Habit and Beast of the East) Have been blown away at how these bikes ride. I can build up a 29'r wheelset for them but why the hell would I bother?

Crazy fast with 2.8" on them. I run 3.0 up front and 2.8 in back. 50mm rims. Feel like a DH rig but fast like XC.

Posted: Jul 6, 2016 at 3:22 Quote
The Ripley LS is a fantastic bike, I can't understand why there is so little in terms of review about it on the Web. It's super light, climbs like a an xc race machine but has the geometry to allow you to rock on the descents.

The 942 wheels are amazing too. I've bought a set before I've ordered a frame as I think they are a game changer. Forget 27.5 plus, run 942s on an LS with some decent 2.4 rubber and you will have an absolute trail rocket with more pop and traction than you can shake a stick at. It absolutely rails corners!

Have you tried an LS yet or just the standard Ripley? The dw link suspension is in a class of its own. I need an xl for the reach but with my stumpy legs I fear the seat tube may be too long.

Ibis reach seems quite short by the latest trends. I get the idea that a shorter bike is/can be more playful but it's a balance between stability and balance point when it gets near vertical so depending on your proportions you may find an XL better than a large??? I'ev got one on demo again this weekend in XL this time, hoping it's going to fit me! They need to reduce the seat tube length to make the frame sizes more versatile, that's my only gripe with the Ripley LS.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008907
Mobile Version of Website