Broken seatpost/frame help

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Broken seatpost/frame help
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 24, 2016 at 9:53 Quote
So I have a 2014 Norco Storm 9.2, last week my frame broke very close to my seat post. I took the bike back to the shop where I bought it and they have started a warranty claim for me. When one of the managers walked by the day I took it in, he said that my seat post was too high that is why it broke.

I was just hoping some had experience with this sort of break, and if norco will replace my frame?

I posted a picture of the break link below :

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/liveystrong/album/Broken-frame/

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2016 at 12:23 Quote
Seat post can be high as you want it to be, but there has to be enough inserted into the frame as to not break it. How much seat post was inside the frame?

Posted: Aug 24, 2016 at 12:27 Quote
3-4 inches at least. Would that void the warranty?

Posted: Aug 24, 2016 at 23:22 Quote
That fatigue crack was from some pretty good forces being applied in a way it shouldn't have. I would really question how much seat post was actually inserted.

If it was 4 inches then the base of.the seatpost would.have been pressing inside the seat tune below the gusset where it is strong, and probably not cracked.

If the seat post was only 2 inches in the base of.the post would be pressing above that gusset and lead to a failure.

When it failed did.the seat fall off the bike?

I have heard norco is fair w their warranty stuff

Posted: Aug 24, 2016 at 23:58 Quote
That type of failure is from operator error. The post was definitely not inserted deep enough.

hopefully you have a good relationship with the LBS, from what I hear, norco is usually pretty reasonable too. That said, I think they are well within their rights to refuse the warranty claim.

On the up side, if the warranty doesn't come through, that actually a simple fix. You can get the seat tube re-welded. then have the shop ream out the tube .... as long as you run a longer post from this point forward, it wont put a significant amount of stress on the frame.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010289
Mobile Version of Website