Advice for backyard track

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Advice for backyard track
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 25, 2016 at 7:09 Quote
Hello people. If anyone has any experience building trails/jumps, I could do with some quick advice thanks Smile

I'm building a backyard track, the space is really limited and right now the only plans I have are to build a ramp and jump. From the bottom of the start ramp there will be about a 7.5 meter (24.5 ft) run up to the jump, and I'm hoping the ramp will be around 1 meter (3 ft) tall once complete. I'm wanting to know how I can get the most out of this jump, both in terms of speed I'll be at when I hit it, and the hang time I'll have in the air when I hit it.

I was thinking that I could turn the run-up to the jump into a little trench by digging about 1-2 ft below the surface, and then the ramp would have an extra little bit of 'down' to give me more launch speed, and then the jump would have a little more 'up', to get more air. This would also give me more dirt to build the ramp and the jump with, because right now I'm slightly concerned about the amount of dirt I have available.

Is this a good idea, or is there a better way for me to get the most out of the limited space I have? Thanks Smile

Posted: Sep 25, 2016 at 14:11 Quote
what about building a wooden drop-in, gives you alot of run in with minimal usage of space.

i would not recomend going onder groundlevel as it would just gather rain water and make stuff un ridable.

Posted: Sep 30, 2016 at 11:21 Quote
Luneec wrote:
what about building a wooden drop-in, gives you alot of run in with minimal usage of space.

i would not recomend going onder groundlevel as it would just gather rain water and make stuff un ridable.

Thank you very much. Yeah after I read your comment I realised how stupid of an idea going below ground level would be Razz I'll look into building a wooden drop-in, thanks Smile

Posted: Oct 4, 2016 at 21:27 Quote
BenSheil wrote:
Hello people. If anyone has any experience building trails/jumps, I could do with some quick advice thanks Smile

I'm building a backyard track, the space is really limited and right now the only plans I have are to build a ramp and jump. From the bottom of the start ramp there will be about a 7.5 meter (24.5 ft) run up to the jump, and I'm hoping the ramp will be around 1 meter (3 ft) tall once complete. I'm wanting to know how I can get the most out of this jump, both in terms of speed I'll be at when I hit it, and the hang time I'll have in the air when I hit it.

I was thinking that I could turn the run-up to the jump into a little trench by digging about 1-2 ft below the surface, and then the ramp would have an extra little bit of 'down' to give me more launch speed, and then the jump would have a little more 'up', to get more air. This would also give me more dirt to build the ramp and the jump with, because right now I'm slightly concerned about the amount of dirt I have available.

Is this a good idea, or is there a better way for me to get the most out of the limited space I have? Thanks Smile

The best way for you get the most out of limited space is to build elevation. BMX and skateboarding have done this for a long time. The half-pipe is definitely making the most out of elevation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZvn3fEiS4U But, the same ideas can be applied to other backyard ramps or even dirt builds. The idea is that two ends of the yard should closely match in elevation; then put session-able loops & lines between those two areas.

http://forums.mtbr.com/urban-dj-park/dj-pump-track-plans-402237.html

http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/roll-ins.228191/

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008765
Mobile Version of Website