Craziest Bike or Bike Parts!!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Craziest Bike or Bike Parts!!
Posted: Mar 7, 2015 at 0:22 Quote
sherbet wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
I believe bluetooth can be fairly easy to hack as well so i would be a little worried.

Most thieves wouldn't be expecting to need to hack a bluetooth connection though.
bluetooth is just a connection method though, I'm sure you still have to submit some sort of unique data to it in order to unlock it.

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 at 0:30 Quote
Nobble wrote:
sherbet wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
I believe bluetooth can be fairly easy to hack as well so i would be a little worried.

Most thieves wouldn't be expecting to need to hack a bluetooth connection though.
bluetooth is just a connection method though, I'm sure you still have to submit some sort of unique data to it in order to unlock it.

Well the device(s) would have a Bluetooth Address that would match up with the locks bluetooth address it's paired/connected to. And Sends an encrypted Signal between the devices.

To me, Bluetooth seems pretty secure. It's also a pretty short range signal. The range on my Bluetooth headphones, from my iPhone is 30m...just for a reference, before they cutout/lose connection.

It also depends on if there's a wall between the devices and such too.

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 at 0:50 Quote
Problem is, anything that relies on bluetooth can be hacked. so maybe an average, run of the mill bike thief wouldn't be able to do it, but if you have software that enables you to hack encrypted bluetooth connections (which does exist), you could steal it quite easily without arousing much suspicion to passer by if its locked in an area where people congregate.

I had a quick read up and even an encrypted connection can be hacked in numerous ways. class 2 bluetooth devices have a range of about 10m and if the lock relies on sending a 4 digit PIN, that can be cracked in seconds.

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 at 6:05 Quote
debonis wrote:
Nobble wrote:
sherbet wrote:

Well the device(s) would have a Bluetooth Address that would match up with the locks bluetooth address it's paired/connected to. And Sends an encrypted Signal between the devices.

To me, Bluetooth seems pretty secure. It's also a pretty short range signal. The range on my Bluetooth headphones, from my iPhone is 30m...just for a reference, before they cutout/lose connection.

It also depends on if there's a wall between the devices and such too.

My 1m long bolt cutters ( which is suprisingly easy to conceal under a jacket ) says otherwise

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 at 18:07 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
Problem is, anything that relies on bluetooth can be hacked. so maybe an average, run of the mill bike thief wouldn't be able to do it, but if you have software that enables you to hack encrypted bluetooth connections (which does exist), you could steal it quite easily without arousing much suspicion to passer by if its locked in an area where people congregate.

I had a quick read up and even an encrypted connection can be hacked in numerous ways. class 2 bluetooth devices have a range of about 10m and if the lock relies on sending a 4 digit PIN, that can be cracked in seconds.
sure, but a 7 character password takes approximately a day to crack with hardware based "brute force" cracking.

It's all about the number of possible combinations. Assuming the device uses some sort of character string for unlocking, a 15+ character string cannot be guessed by a computer in any sort or reasonable time-span (probably several weeks).

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2015 at 21:47 Quote
Nobble wrote:
yo13bo wrote:

sure, but a 7 character password takes approximately a day to crack with hardware based "brute force" cracking.

It's all about the number of possible combinations. Assuming the device uses some sort of character string for unlocking, a 15+ character string cannot be guessed by a computer in any sort or reasonable time-span (probably several weeks).

I was doing a little reading and a 7 digit code takes 76 seconds to crack although no info on the hardware used to do this. But you could conceivably do this from a vehicle a short distance away.

http://www.academia.edu/3292234/Bluesmacking_and_Bluetooth_Pin_Cracking

Posted: Mar 8, 2015 at 0:07 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Nobble wrote:
yo13bo wrote:

I was doing a little reading and a 7 digit code takes 76 seconds to crack although no info on the hardware used to do this. But you could conceivably do this from a vehicle a short distance away.

http://www.academia.edu/3292234/Bluesmacking_and_Bluetooth_Pin_Cracking
digits, maybe but there are 95 printable ASCII characters.

If I remember my statistics correctly, that's approximately 57 million combinations assuming a 5 character password. If you go up to 7 characters, that's over 11 billion possible combinations.

Simply connecting to the device doesn't necessarily give you control over it.

Posted: Mar 8, 2015 at 4:05 Quote
For only $1000Blank Stare
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/news/2015/03/08/1425791930523-1ecdvddj3jpod-700-80.jpg
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/ceramicspeed-debuts-us1000-derailleur-pulleys-at-nahbs-43757/

Posted: Mar 8, 2015 at 7:43 Quote
I'd love to know who'd but them. They should be named and shamed for dropping $1000 to save 2g.

Posted: Mar 8, 2015 at 8:00 Quote
Them jockey wheels....

photo

Posted: Mar 8, 2015 at 9:28 Quote
One would think that if making a marketing stunt like that, at least they could have found somebody who is in fact able to make them with a reasonable degree of quality.
Look at the poor machining and obvious grainy material.

I'd be ashamed if I had my name attached to something that failed to such a degree, when obviously trying real hard.
....and yes I know the company that made them, they are not all that, even though they're named the institute of technology of Denmark. I quit using them a while ago due to quality issues. Now I fortunately have the equipment to do stuff like that myself.

Magura Smile

Posted: Mar 8, 2015 at 10:10 Quote
$2000-2500 US for your butt.....from Crown Saddles.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.crown-saddle.com/wp-content/themes/DynamiX/lib/scripts/timthumb.php?h=160&w=240&zc=0&src=http://www.crown-saddle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/eberhardt.jpg

Posted: Mar 8, 2015 at 10:20 Quote
That's a lot a money to spend on a butt....

Posted: Mar 8, 2015 at 10:57 Quote
At least they're real well made, even when you look very closely.
Now as to why a saddle that will get torn in a week needs that sort of sophistication, that's another debate. Big Grin

Magura Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.036759
Mobile Version of Website