Dirt Jump Park Brakes

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Park Brakes
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 24, 2016 at 7:27 Quote
Hello all,

I am a yuppie. I like to ride bikes, generally. I have a fascination with getting air and hang time.

I have limited locations around me where I can ride my bike for jumping, and all of the local spots are pretty cramped. I am looking for a brake that I can use on my P.Slope that will ensure quick braking, and that will ensure effective braking, every time, to allow me to stop within 10-12 feet after my landing.

I am currently running the Hayes Radar that came stock on my bike, with only a rear brake. There are a few things I cannot stand about this brake, so I am looking for a new brake that will give me all that I need. What are your pics for the best dirt/park/slope setup while only running a rear brake?

FYI: the issues with the Radar are:
~the brake feels like it slows me at speed, but I get the impression it couldn't stop me if I needed to stop.
~The lever return spring is exposed on the back of the brake lever, and the clip that holds it often slips off, yielding bad return, and potentially letting air in my line.
~The reach adjustment is a joke: even with reach adjusted all the way in, I need to depress the brake lever 80% of its stroke before I get braking.
~The line, when bled, will not last more than a few rides or spring issues without needing another bleeding.
~ Brake pad retention is not the best, as it doesn't use a threaded bar to hold pads in place, but instead a pin.

Thinking about something in the same vein as the Avid Code, 4 pistons, reach and contact point adjust, sleek lever with no exposed parts. Mechanically inclined, so could also maintain a gyro or hydro gyro set up if need be.

What are your thoughts/recommendations? Money aside, what would be the best braking system for sprint based jumping on dirt and park?

Posted: Oct 24, 2016 at 7:53 Quote
I know other people will disagree, but I tend to think hydraulic brakes are overkill for a DJ bike, but clearly great for Downhill.

My Avid BB7 Mechanical work extremely well--they easily lock up in a skid, but even more importantly are also easy to drag one finger and "feather" when needed.

photo

Posted: Oct 24, 2016 at 9:05 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
I know other people will disagree, but I tend to think hydraulic brakes are overkill for a DJ bike, but clearly great for Downhill.

My Avid BB7 Mechanical work extremely well--they easily lock up in a skid, but even more importantly are also easy to drag one finger and "feather" when needed.

With this setup, do you just use extra housing to wrap around the head tube, or do you use a gyro? I have some BB7 mtns, that I can test out, but I have wondered in theory about whether the added cable and housing length would affect the cable pull actuation. Also, what levers are you using with these brakes?

Posted: Oct 24, 2016 at 9:14 Quote
commutercross wrote:
cmc4130 wrote:

With this setup, do you just use extra housing to wrap around the head tube, or do you use a gyro? I have some BB7 mtns, that I can test out, but I have wondered in theory about whether the added cable and housing length would affect the cable pull actuation. Also, what levers are you using with these brakes?

Avid makes a lever to go with their brakes, so that's the one I use.

I don't do barspins or tailwhips, so I have no need for a long cable. I would agree that someone doing those tricks might want to do either a long hydraulic cable, a hydraulic gyro, or a customized mechnical gyro... When you spin the bars around with a long wire cable it does mess with it. In BMX, a lot of guys who run a long wire cable will do one barspin, then spin it back and that's fine... but more than one barspin, you would want a gyro....

Posted: Oct 26, 2016 at 6:53 Quote
Find a shimano brake in your budget and go..

My last cost me 65$ I think, works great..

Posted: Oct 26, 2016 at 8:18 Quote
Second that on the BB7 brakes. They are great....but I'm partial to Pauls E-Lever, super small one finger,looks the business Smile

My new favorite brake lever

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010702
Mobile Version of Website