chromoly vs aluminum

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
chromoly vs aluminum
Previous Page |
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 19:06 Quote
I have a question. I went riding today with my buddy that just bought a chase. I have a ritual and thought it was a little heavy, then I rode his and its way lighter and I like that.

I searched and couldnt come up with what Im looking for. Would I be better off selling my frame and getting something like a used p1, or looking for a lighter chromoly frame.

Im 200lbs and a total noob jumping small stuff. I hear people saying aluminum will break but I dont jump big enough to do much damage. My bike is also running 24s and I totally liked his 26s better.

On that note, anyone want to trade frames and bottom brakets, lol!

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 19:08 Quote
aluminum is plenty strong, the only real difference i find is the feel between the 2, aluminum is noticably stiffer and less comfortable to ride without suspension. also there is a weight difference, but this is not signifficant in frames because of the difference in tubing size.
chromoly is better for street/dj in my opinion

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 19:09 Quote
chromoly. skinnier frames = sexy times

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 19:13 Quote
I can deal with stiffness. I hate the weight though. I do know my bike is one of the heavy frames out there. What would be a good frame thats lighter then mine.

As far as chromoly is skinnier which is sexy. I dont care about looks, Im more of a function guy.

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 19:16 Quote
chromo is nice but its stiff aka less give when u screw up aka higher risk of snapping it.and it rusts.

Aluminum will not rust its flexier and has some give if you crew up it is generally easier to dent and a we heavier i think in my mind.

i perfer chromo becasue its stiffer feel and my budys top which is chromo feels way whippier then my stp
just my life savings 2 cents

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 19:17 Quote
sexy is not only the difference for chromoly. it's also stronger then aluminum, so the makers don't have to have tons of layers or thickness of the metal. it is a lot lighter, because of the thickness.

for a chromoly/steel frame, i'd go with either a blkmrkt riot, or dobberman pinscher. simtra psycho is also real nice, but there has been quite a few people with dropout issues lately...

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 19:17 Quote
but if i were u id look into a transition top. my budys selling his if u wanna ask about it pm me

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 19:22 Quote
thud wrote:
chromo is nice but its stiff aka less give when u screw up aka higher risk of snapping it.and it rusts.

Aluminum will not rust its flexier and has some give if you crew up it is generally easier to dent and a we heavier i think in my mind.

i perfer chromo becasue its stiffer feel and my budys top which is chromo feels way whippier then my stp

youve posted this in another forum thread too, ALUMINUM IS NOT FLEXY. IT IS STIFF. CHROMOLY IS FLEXY.

*edit* incase you are understanding me wrong. it does not flex side to side. i should not have used flexy to describe it, it is softer and smoother feeling to ride. it has more give in it due to how it is made.

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 19:24 Quote
thud wrote:
but if i were u id look into a transition top. my budys selling his if u wanna ask about it pm me

I would like a top, but Im pretty sure I could afford it.

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 19:27 Quote
blackpantherparty wrote:
thud wrote:

youve posted this in another forum thread too, ALUMINUM IS NOT FLEXY. IT IS STIFF. CHROMOLY IS FLEXY.

*edit* incase you are understanding me wrong. it does not flex side to side. i should not have used flexy to describe it, it is softer and smoother feeling to ride. it has more give in it due to how it is made.

i ride an aluminum frame its flexy trust me ive had the bike twisting round berm as my buddy says and im a welder i have no welding expereince with chromo but aluminum is flexy its weaker and its forgiving

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 19:32 Quote
blackpantherparty wrote:
thud wrote:

dude, aluminum is flexy. chromoly is stiff, there for cracks and snaps a lot. aluminum is flexy, therefore it usually gets dents or small bents near the chain length. don't wanna get in a beef with ya, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 19:55 Quote
filipinobiker wrote:
blackpantherparty wrote:
thud wrote:

dude, aluminum is flexy. chromoly is stiff, there for cracks and snaps a lot. aluminum is flexy, therefore it usually gets dents or small bents near the chain length. don't wanna get in a beef with ya, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

No, you wrong. Alu. is the stiffer of the two metals and because of that it is less forgiving. Its fails are more catastrophic, as the metal just sheers instead of bending. Steel on the other hand bends most of the time, and has more of a supple ride because it soaks up vibrations more.

Steel is heavier alot of the time, but I believe it is the superior metal. It will overall last alot longer depending of the type you use, and im a sucker for straight tubes. But aluminum has its pro's too.

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 20:04 Quote
most of you guys are wrong, alluminum is very stiff and not as strong so it is built up in large amounts, cromo or steel on the other hand is more likely to bend before cracking, it has alot less material involved and is heavier

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 20:21 Quote
Instead of one side saying "yes it is" and the other replying "no it isn't", why not go find some numbers/facts/credible sources? If this is all such openly known knowledge then it shouldn't take more than couple minutes to find.

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 20:34 Quote
OK. Pay attention. Steel is weaker by weight, but the tubes are generally stronger. What that means is that a 0.065 wall 1 5/8" tube will be plenty strong for a 4130 down tube. An Aluminium tube of those dimentions would fail just peddaling too hard. Now because aluminium is so light you can make that tube MUCH thicker to get compaerable strength and actually end up with a lighter tube. OK, so now we have two tubes of simmilar strength (in your head anyhow) one is steel (4130 for this argument) and one Aluminum, same outside diameter but the alu has a much thicker wall. Now the properties come into play. I can bend the two tubes by applying forces to them, but I can bend the steel tube farther and still have it return to the original shape, it's more forgiving thats why springs are steel not aluminim. Now another problem is work hardening. Our steel tube can get flexed up and down all day but out aluminum tube will actually seem to get stronger. As it flexes the structure (crystal formations in the metal) gets tangled up kind of like cold forging, but as you keep flexing it the structures break and it "flexes out". That is why you never buy a used aluminum frame. So 4130 does flex more and will "flex out", just not as redily as aluminum. Frame manufacturers now so over build their aluminum frames to prevent flexing in the first place that the frames are almost as heavy as steel anyhow. Still the life of an Alu frame is much shorter than a steel one. As for failure, there are many differant types of steel being used and different heat traeating methods. Some steels do have scary charicteristics when they fail. Generally the harder the steel the more bad that happens when it breaks, but less chance of breaking it. Also steel is harder than Alu, so it takes less damage when it comes into contact with things like cement. I'm not saying steel is better, almost every race frame made is Alu or carbon, but both do have good properties. But to filipinobiker, you need a new frame yours is flexed out.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv15 0.014310
Mobile Version of Website