Enduro 29er/6fattie

PB Forum :: Specialized
Enduro 29er/6fattie
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 11, 2016 at 9:32 Quote
Thinking about getting the 2017 enduro Comp 29er in the spring, and had a question about using it as a "6fattie".

Can I simply buy a second set of wheels in 27.5 and fat tires and swap on whenever I want? Or is there more to that.. correct me if I'm wrong but the on the Santa Cruz Hightower they recommend changing the fork travel when switching.

If it's an easy wheel swap, I would just buy a cheap set of 27.5 wheels to swap on whenever I wanted to have some fun, and put back on the 29er for the more serious riding.

Posted: Nov 11, 2016 at 13:15 Quote
kthorpe wrote:
Thinking about getting the 2017 enduro Comp 29er in the spring, and had a question about using it as a "6fattie".

Can I simply buy a second set of wheels in 27.5 and fat tires and swap on whenever I want? Or is there more to that.. correct me if I'm wrong but the on the Santa Cruz Hightower they recommend changing the fork travel when switching.

If it's an easy wheel swap, I would just buy a cheap set of 27.5 wheels to swap on whenever I wanted to have some fun, and put back on the 29er for the more serious riding.

I have a 2017 Enduro 29 Comp, had it for about a month now. Based off their geo charts you can swap on 27.5+ and just have shifts in BB height. In fact, I just got a set of 27.5 boost wheel in the mail and am planning on doing the same thing. Going to try out the 27.5x2.8 and then have the regular 29 wheelset for racing.

I'm waiting for the Specialized Butcher tires in 27.5x2.8, won't be around til late winter based on info from the LBS. Otherwise I'd let you know what it rode like with swapping wheelsets. Really hoping this 2 wheelsets/1 bike thing works out, cause it could make for a really fun bike.

From my understanding, Santa Cruz is looking to preserve BB height via the 10mm fork change and the chip on the rear shock. The Specialized Geo charts have it drop BB height from 352mm (29x2.3) to 339mm (27.5x2.8 ), or 345mm (27.5x3.0). I've ridden a 29x3.0 tire and disliked the characteristics under compression or hard cornering, I think 27.5x2.8 may prove to be quite fun.

Posted: Nov 11, 2016 at 15:49 Quote
Nizhoni wrote:
kthorpe wrote:

I have a 2017 Enduro 29 Comp, had it for about a month now. Based off their geo charts you can swap on 27.5+ and just have shifts in BB height. In fact, I just got a set of 27.5 boost wheel in the mail and am planning on doing the same thing. Going to try out the 27.5x2.8 and then have the regular 29 wheelset for racing.

I'm waiting for the Specialized Butcher tires in 27.5x2.8, won't be around til late winter based on info from the LBS. Otherwise I'd let you know what it rode like with swapping wheelsets. Really hoping this 2 wheelsets/1 bike thing works out, cause it could make for a really fun bike.

From my understanding, Santa Cruz is looking to preserve BB height via the 10mm fork change and the chip on the rear shock. The Specialized Geo charts have it drop BB height from 352mm (29x2.3) to 339mm (27.5x2.8 ), or 345mm (27.5x3.0). I've ridden a 29x3.0 tire and disliked the characteristics under compression or hard cornering, I think 27.5x2.8 may prove to be quite fun.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm thinking! Basically have a fun "fat" bike and a serious 29er in one. How do you like it other than that? Never really hear much about the Comp.

Posted: Nov 11, 2016 at 19:54 Quote
I have about 150 miles on it, including a weekend in Moab. It was phenomenal on Whole Enchilada. It climbs surprisingly well, I feel I can grind out fire road climbs at a similar pace of a less travel bike. Its my first long travel bike, so don't have much to compare it to, other than on sections of trail I used to tense up, liking going into a rock garden, it just bombs through it. Very smooth.

I think the most telling thing is I can beat my PR's and I feel much more in control. I can't speak to the 27.5 v. 29 debate as I have little time on 27.5 bikes.

Solid spec, the large came with a 60mm stem which I swapped to a 40mm Chromag. I wasn't sure about the Yari, as my other bike has a Pike RCT3, but feels great.

I was conflicted on what wheel size, but have been on a short travel 29er for awhile and really like it, so was afraid of trying 27.5 and regretting it. And once I saw the 29 was 29/27.5+ I was sold. I think for some of our local trails the 27.5x2.8 may be phenomenal, but we'll see. I just pulled the 27.5 wheels out and pretty excited to try it out both ways.

photo

Posted: Nov 12, 2016 at 10:49 Quote
Nizhoni wrote:
I have about 150 miles on it, including a weekend in Moab. It was phenomenal on Whole Enchilada. It climbs surprisingly well, I feel I can grind out fire road climbs at a similar pace of a less travel bike. Its my first long travel bike, so don't have much to compare it to, other than on sections of trail I used to tense up, liking going into a rock garden, it just bombs through it. Very smooth.

I think the most telling thing is I can beat my PR's and I feel much more in control. I can't speak to the 27.5 v. 29 debate as I have little time on 27.5 bikes.

Solid spec, the large came with a 60mm stem which I swapped to a 40mm Chromag. I wasn't sure about the Yari, as my other bike has a Pike RCT3, but feels great.

I was conflicted on what wheel size, but have been on a short travel 29er for awhile and really like it, so was afraid of trying 27.5 and regretting it. And once I saw the 29 was 29/27.5+ I was sold. I think for some of our local trails the 27.5x2.8 may be phenomenal, but we'll see. I just pulled the 27.5 wheels out and pretty excited to try it out both ways.

photo

Awesome, sounds like you're really enjoying it. Im still on a 26in, and have been back and forth trying to decide between 27.5 and 29er, and trail bike and enduro bike but i think ive decided on going with the 29er enduro.

a little more effort on the flats/ups doesnt bother me (helps me stay in shape!), but the extra squish on the downs, and the ability to crush bike parks is really appealing.

nice bike! i havent had the chance to see a new comp in person, no shops around my area in Vancouver have them yet Frown

Posted: Nov 13, 2016 at 19:59 Quote
I think the Enduro 29 could double as just an awesome trail bike, as long as your focus is on the descents. My other bike is a Camber Carbon 29, 120mm travel with a 120 Pike up front. I have a lot of climbs that are gravel/forest road up for single track down, and the Enduro gets up just as well. I think the difference when sitting and spinning a easy gear is negligible to my short travel 29. Where I notice the difference is on the single track climbs, where its tighter or have more need accelerate out of flattish corners. However, the Enduro is way more fun going down, even if I don't need the extra travel the slacker geometry and short chainstays make it quite fun.

At first I thought about selling the camber and using the enduro as my only bike. But I do some longer days of 50-100 mile days of single track occasionally and don't think pedaling the enduro all day would work as well. We don't have any bike parks around here, all natural trail with no man made features. Don't think you could go wrong with either, but I like experimenting and the ability to swap wheel sizes appealed to that side of me.

Once I get some 27.5+ tires and some time on them I'll post initial comparisons, not sure when that'll be though.

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2016 at 7:45 Quote
2017 Enduro & Stumpy is exactly the same frame for 29 & 6fattie. Just change out the wheelset! In 2016 the 6fattie has a different rear end what was 148 spaced while the 29ers were 142. This year they are all 148 with the same rear end.

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 8:12 Quote
I swapped it to 27.5+ just to see. Got in a 9 mile ride on some xc-ish trails. Our high country is snowed in. Don't have much in the way of impressions, roll faster than I anticipated. Tons of grip. 30mm internal width on the rim. I think something around ~35mm internal would be best, but got these for a deal. BB is noticeably lower, pedal striked once.

Minion DHF 2.8 front, Rekon 2.8 rear.

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Feb 5, 2017 at 11:07 Quote
Hi there.

I just bought the same bike as yours..

what wheels are they yours?? The Specialized Roval Traverse 650b that comes on the stumpy's??

Thanks

Luca

Nizhoni wrote:
I swapped it to 27.5+ just to see. Got in a 9 mile ride on some xc-ish trails. Our high country is snowed in. Don't have much in the way of impressions, roll faster than I anticipated. Tons of grip. 30mm internal width on the rim. I think something around ~35mm internal would be best, but got these for a deal. BB is noticeably lower, pedal striked once.

photo

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 13:19 Quote
The Stumpy wheels will work. You can also go with either of these:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/equipment/components/wheels/roval-traverse-fattie-650b-148/118075

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/equipment/components/wheels/rovaltraverseslfattie650b148/118015

LucaCocomazzi wrote:
Hi there.

what wheels are they yours?? The Specialized Roval Traverse 650b that comes on the stumpy's??

Thanks

Luca

Nizhoni wrote:

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 20:40 Quote
It looks like in US you already have the boost size wheel sets.. On the UK specialized website the only boost wheels that we have are all carbon..
The alloy wheelset still have 142 at the rear:

https://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/equipment/components/wheels/roval-traverse-fattie-650b/118053

Hopefully later this year we will have them too..

Thanks !

Luca

rmgoff1 wrote:
The Stumpy wheels will work. You can also go with either of these:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/equipment/components/wheels/roval-traverse-fattie-650b-148/118075

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/equipment/components/wheels/rovaltraverseslfattie650b148/118015

LucaCocomazzi wrote:
Hi there.

Thanks

Luca

Nizhoni wrote:

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Feb 8, 2017 at 6:26 Quote
Hi all,

I bought a 2017 enduro 29/6fattie last September and its abosolutly amazing! It is kind of heavy though. I'd also like buy another wheelset to set it up with the 275+. I'm thinking of getting the specialized butcher 2.8.

What rim width would you guys recommend?
Would the regular roval traverse be wide enough for a tire that size or should I get the roval 38? Is the price of carbon really worth it?
Any other weight saving upgrades?

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2017 at 7:41 Quote
Regular traverse is what is spec'd on the bikes (31mm internal width). Something in the 30 range will be fine.

For carbon...that's a really personal question. I'd say if you can afford it yes. If you are debating carbon rims or rent, pay your rent Smile

Posted: Feb 8, 2017 at 8:36 Quote
@rmgoff1

It looks like you are only saving 43g by going with the 38 carbon instead of the regular traverse. I guess the main advantage would be stiffness, but that's probably not noticeable when running plus size tires. The only thing is that the regular roval is actually a 29mm internal width. The roval travers sl is 31mm and the same price as the 38.

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2017 at 6:15 Quote
I had the regular traverse on my old Enduro 650. They are fine wheels. I broke a few spokes but that's life on a mountain bike. I did take on pretty serious dent in the side of the wheel, but rode it like that for months with no issue. They are certainly a good value. The 38-31 in the Carbon traverse is really up to you. Gotta decide what size tire you want to run. Since Speci has the 2.8 butchers now that's a great fatty tire. It'll work fine on the 31 SL...and the 38.

Call comes down to $$$. If you can go carbon, and for me the SL 31mm is good. And it gives you a the option of running a standard 2.3 tire on another bike with that wheelset.

Joegrant wrote:
@rmgoff1

It looks like you are only saving 43g by going with the 38 carbon instead of the regular traverse. I guess the main advantage would be stiffness, but that's probably not noticeable when running plus size tires. The only thing is that the regular roval is actually a 29mm internal width. The roval travers sl is 31mm and the same price as the 38.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021525
Mobile Version of Website