Concussions

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 12, 2016 at 14:27 Quote
I will keep it short. Today I took what I thought was a small over the bars but upon getting up I realized I had cracked my carbon full face helmet. Breaking this helmet today made it the FOURTH helmet that I have broken in the last YEAR! This is very concerning for me and I am starting to doubt whether getting back on the bike and pushing myself is worth it. At what point do you go "I am at serious risk of causing permanent damage to myself" and sell off all your bike stuff?

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2016 at 11:01 Quote
Depending on what type of crash/concussion you sustained there are some rules to follow. The most important one is: No head injuries for 6 months after a concussion-that increases your chances of more serious long term effects greatly. You don't always lose consciousness when you get a concussion-so, don't assume you didn't get one. There are tons of studies out there, mostly from high school sports and professional football that are confirming personality chances, slower thought processes, unsteadiness etc from repeated blows to the head. This summer I volunteered at a week long enduro event and chatted with another volunteer that said she stopped racing DH due to head injuries. That doesn't mean she hung up her bike and started jogging, she still rode some seriously challenging trails. It just means that you dial back your speed and risk factors.
One question I have is why are you going over your bars so frequently? Is your bike set up properly for you? Work with a coach that may be able to spot where you are improperly positioned on your bike. Maybe you're just going full out all the time and that's what happens?
Make sure people know where you go for a ride. My boyfriend just got a concussion, was out for approx 20 minutes and called me not knowing where he was. (He was on a trail he'd ridden many times before). Luckily he remembered how to use his phone and took a pic of where he was so I could find him.
take care of yourself.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009319
Mobile Version of Website