ARBR Saker : the makeover

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
ARBR Saker : the makeover
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2016 at 16:57 Quote
ok this is likely to be controversial, and I have no intention to troll. Truly I wanted to work out what it was about this bike that turned so many of us off. I can agree on of following aspects of comments on this bike:

A) It is very likely well engineered
B) it is too expensive to be this ugly

so I've just conducted a little experiment here, asking myself, what is it about the bike that has provoked such a strong reaction?

Here's what I think: the problems with the look of this bike are the needlessly swoopy curves (enough with all the swoopy curves already, yeah frame designers - I'm talking to you) , and the overly chunky junction of the headtube, downtube and top tubes. I've also flipped the shock over to accommodate the straight downtube. The superb standover has been left as is

Everything else has been left alone, critically the geometry, headtube, and the swingarm.

The modified version looks a bit Specialized Enduro, or Ibis MojoHD, but I think it's different enough.

I post this because I care about mtb, and it's functionality and design. The heat generated by this bike is proof that you all care enough about all aspects of mtb too.

what do we think?

peace!

photo

Posted: Dec 4, 2016 at 19:22 Quote
I dont like the overall shape of the front end, your version look a lot better, from an aesthetics point of view.

Posted: Dec 5, 2016 at 19:05 Quote
short-but-sweet wrote:
The modified version looks a bit Specialized Enduro, or Ibis MojoHD, but I think it's different enough.

It looks less like a pregnant seahorse. Is it okay to say that?

Posted: Dec 5, 2016 at 19:15 Quote
I think all the manufacturers dropped those swooping curves a few years ago... super ugly bike

Posted: Dec 6, 2016 at 6:22 Quote
Nicely done! Huge improvement that starts moving toward a nice industrial aesthetic with the beam style construction. A little work on the swing arm to match maybe. How long did you spend on this by the way?

Posted: Dec 6, 2016 at 11:38 Quote
Aesthetically the new interpretation is much more like what we all imaging when we think of bikes, I rather like it. but I think you may have lost a pivot near the bottom of the downtube.

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2016 at 2:16 Quote
Hi @SilverCreek - I did it while procrastinating over answering some painful work emails one morning, about 40mins maybe in photoshop

@junker- Haha I think you may be correct !

Happy to hear y'all approve ^

Wish I could give up my job to design bikes. Sigh

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.240971
Mobile Version of Website