How would your lbs handle this problem.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How would your lbs handle this problem.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 6, 2016 at 23:46 Quote
To start off, I have been biking for maybe 6 months now so I'm kind of new to all this. I had been riding on a cannondale trail 2, a couple weeks ago bought by first full suspension (cannondale habit SE). Well I took it to the lbs where I purchased my bike to go tubeless, Everything went fine until I went to pick it up, I was told they had broken the 15mm axle putting the front wheel back on and was told they will contact cannondale the next day and that They were busy waiting on another call back from cannondale for another customer. It will be a week tomorrow that I haven't been able to ride the new bike. I understand things can happen but would like to know how your bike shop would work this out (would your lbs take an 15mm axel off one of the other 2 cannondale habits there?) any input is appreciated

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 2:06 Quote
How the hell did they break the front axle?! I'd be pretty much demanding that they supply me an axle from one of their stock bikes, thats for sure. Their mistake, their loss.

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 2:51 Quote
He said everything was finished with the bike and when he went to tighten down it snapped. He also said he wasn't even adding any pressure.. Idk I'm starting to feel like I'm being put aside. Being that I've spent 6,500 buying 2 bikes in their store over the past 4 months you would think they'd be a little more helpful that.

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 10:41 Quote
Any other bike shops locally you could go to? If after spending that much money with them recently you just get a response like that, I'd be inclined to take my money elsewhere.

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 15:09 Quote
I'd go elsewhere as well, I broke my front axle and my LBS didn't have one in stock so they removed one from a bike on the floor and handed it to me at no charge, granted I had just spent 650 on a new wheelset the week prior.

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 21:52 Quote
Don't be afraid to communicate. If you don't want to confront them in person, write them an email and explain your concern. Based on their response, make your decision to stay or go elsewhere. That's what I would do. Who knows, maybe they will more than make up for it when you express that you're feeling a bit left out in the cold after paying good money with their shop.

Posted: Dec 8, 2016 at 0:15 Quote
hmm if its a maxle type axle they snap easy...the lever that is not the axle itself. Still if they have one on a stock model then yes i would definitely expect them to give you that one. To be fair they may not have thought to do that but if you mention it and then they refuse i would (in and ideal world) like to get my money bike and take my custom elsewere. I know its not that easy to do so politely explain that you want to use the bike you have spent so much money on and this would rectify there cock up.

but if they dont offer to do this then they are for sure a bunch of *%^&$. best of luck and if they dont help you out be sure to explain that you were thinking of buying another big price bike from them but you have decided to visit another shop (once you have your new axle that is).

also i love the excuse......wasnt applying any force. did it just brake when he looked at it lol. As i say though if its an early maxle lever then they do snap soooo easy.

does it look like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/rockshox-20mm-maxle-lite/

if it does try and insist they supply you with maxle ultimates....much stronger as otherwise you will likely have issues with the front and rear ones once you get the bike (assuming they are the same lever types) simce they break without applying any force as the shop worker/owner/mechanic stated him/herself.

Posted: Dec 8, 2016 at 2:53 Quote
rabidmonkfish wrote:

also i love the excuse......wasnt applying any force. did it just brake when he looked at it lol.

Isn't it usually the customer who's supposed to have the "I just looked at it and it broke" stories?

Posted: Dec 8, 2016 at 10:13 Quote
If we had a bike with the same thru-axle in stock we would have taken the good thru-axle off of that to get you back on the trails ASAP and then warrantied the broken thru axle and used the replacement on the "donor bike". That way you get out on your new bike the same day and we still end up with a working bike that we can sell.

Posted: Dec 8, 2016 at 18:08 Quote
[Quote="TheLou94"]If we had a bike with the same thru-axle in stock we would have taken the good thru-axle off of that to get you back on the trails ASAP and then warrantied the broken thru axle and used the replacement on the "donor bike". That way you get out on your new bike the same day and we still end up with a working bike that we can sell.

^^^ true story!

I always work on my own bikes!! ive yet to come across a bike shop in 25 years that has decent service! They are usually rude and don't often accommodate the customer very well... I still don't get why bike shops are usually so arrogant. NS bikes- even though not a shop, by far have some of the poorest customer service I've ever experienced

Posted: Dec 8, 2016 at 19:54 Quote
Let us know what happens please!

Posted: Dec 8, 2016 at 20:20 Quote
this is way i don't go to bike shops. i know everyone is all about supporting there lbs, but I've always had bad experiences. theres always something else that needs to be replaced or something else that needs to be done. or an excuse on why it can't be done. or the fact that it takes a week to get anything because nothing in stock. I'm not even going to go into price. I've only been mountain biking for two years, and I'm completely hooked. but when it comes to wrenching on my rigs i just do it myself. i order to tools as i need them, watch youtube and can get all the parts in one day super cheap. i pretty much have an entire bike shop at home now lol. just my 2 cents

i guess i should say theres not really any mountain bike shop where i live only "Performance bike" ill never set foot in there again

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2016 at 10:05 Quote
Well, first of all you should do tubeless yourself. I've done like 10 bikes now, all with different rim/tire combos, and most of which had non-tubeless specific rims and required a conversion (ala gorilla tape). Not a single one took more than 30 minutes to complete. So yeah, it's super cake.

Also if you've bought 2 bikes there in the last 6 months I'd make sure that you only deal with the manager. Get with someone that can actually do something, as a lot of the floor and shop guys don't always have the latitude to really remedy situations.

And yeah; they owe you a brand new axle and 2 weeks of riding time. I'd push for some in-store credit (~$50). If they offer free tuneups, call them out and be like "Why, have the urge to break more more things on my bike? if that's all you can offer then I'm taking my business elsewhere."

Posted: Dec 9, 2016 at 17:07 Quote
DG73 wrote:
I'd go elsewhere as well, I broke my front axle and my LBS didn't have one in stock so they removed one from a bike on the floor and handed it to me at no charge, granted I had just spent 650 on a new wheelset the week prior.
Well this example should not be an indicator for the rest of the industry, giving free stuff away like that seems kind of silly.

Regardless, if the bike is fairly new, and the bike shop admits to fault, they should be talking the initiative to get you going asap.

Posted: Dec 9, 2016 at 17:44 Quote
Be an adult and talk to them. Don't get all angry and pissy but don't be a push-over and be stern. Being real with them and expressing how you feel about losing your quality ride time and that you feel you are being brushed off is better than sitting around and waiting for them. Perhaps it will push them into action.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.070738
Mobile Version of Website