Weak brakes

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Weak brakes
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 30, 2016 at 7:55 Quote
Is there any better compound brake pads to get for bmxs?

Got both the kids a bmx each for Xmas and the brakes barely stop them, all set up correctly too.

I know it's not cool to run brakes on a bmx but they aren't good enough on a bike to ride without brakes.

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 at 15:58 Quote
What kind of bmx's did you buy and what kind of breaks do they have on them?

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 at 16:37 Quote
Check out the Kool Stop BMX or Mountain brake pads for rim brakes. I had a pair of mountain pads on my bmx and they worked excellent. They're also extra long for more power!

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 at 16:37 Quote
Clear brake pads work best on BMX but they are noisey!

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 at 0:54 Quote
Saracen amplitude source 18"

Promax sidepull caliper on the front and Promax u brake rear

Are all decent bmx brakes noisey?

They might get a little better as he uses them, I've tried cleaning rim and sanding pads a bit, they do slow him down but not very well at all.

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 at 10:57 Quote
mwilliams wrote:

They might get a little better as he uses them, I've tried cleaning rim and sanding pads a bit, they do slow him down but not very well at all.

Rim brakes will usually squeal because of contamination or incorrect adjustment/setup of the pads.

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 at 11:34 Quote
Current brakes don't make any noise, was meant for the reply above about clear pads being noisey

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 at 13:06 Quote
Clear brakes always squeel even when set up perfectly.

It's because of the tacky material nothing to do with contamination or anything like.

But they work superbly, so swings and roundabouts.

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 at 18:14 Quote
mwilliams wrote:
Current brakes don't make any noise, was meant for the reply above about clear pads being noisey

Oops, my bad. Clear pads will squeal regardless and should not be used with chrome rims.

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 at 18:59 Quote
Why not with chrome rims?

My BMX has fly u-brakes, clear pads, odyssey gyro and levers on chrome hazard light rims and the stopping power is better than any other BMX brake I have ever used even compared to a straight cable set ups.

Had the same set up 10 years with no problem.

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 5:44 Quote
mwilliams wrote:
Is there any better compound brake pads to get for bmxs?

Got both the kids a bmx each for Xmas and the brakes barely stop them, all set up correctly too.

I know it's not cool to run brakes on a bmx but they aren't good enough on a bike to ride without brakes.

Painted or raw aluminum rims be your problem here

The pads will never grip a painted rim or raw aluminum rim very well..

Chrome is the only real answer for good rim brakes (or grinding like trials bikes, but thats a totally different game)

And basically yes, they have to make noise to work well.. it called "stiction"

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 5:47 Quote
derekguy123 wrote:
mwilliams wrote:

Rim brakes will usually squeal because of contamination or incorrect adjustment/setup of the pads.

Its actually the exact opposite...

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 at 10:28 Quote
Are these any good?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/kool-stop-bmx-brake-pads-dual-compound/rp-prod46443?gs=1&gclid=CjwKEAiA17LDBRDElqOGq8vR7m8SJAA1AC0_K66lgI8jWEz-aavbv1AvaceVuPbtgkX-Kl0fuwhYZhoCvDDw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Don't really want the kids to have mega load brakes, they'll be using their bikes in the street too.

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 at 11:11 Quote
Or these?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/kool-stop-eagle-2-brake-pads/rp-prod46434

Posted: Jan 5, 2017 at 9:14 Quote
I have to chime in here-

Salmon pads are amazing and often overlooked as clear pads have overtaken the BMX pad market. I've been running Salmon pads on black Birdcage rims for half a year and they even stop half-decent in snow/general crappy Canadian conditions. The Salmon compound used by Kool-Stop (but invented by someone else) actually revolutionized the rim brake pad market like 30 or so years ago, so maybe worth checking out if you've never experienced smooth, powerful brakes on a BMX.

Clear pads are more on/off powerful when they're dry, but in wet conditions, Salmon pads are more consistent and predictable.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010739
Mobile Version of Website