Am I doing it right?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Am I doing it right?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 7:53 Quote
So about two years ago I bought a 2010 WTP Volta complete to get into BMX. I always wanted to ride when I was a kid and had a shitty, super heavy BMX when I was younger but I just rode around on it.

I'm 28 now and I've been riding mtb for three years and I'm not too shabby a rider when it comes to the bigger bikes. The problem is though I just can't get into BMX properly? For me it just feels uncomfortable and twitchy and I can't get that feeling of "oneness" I have with my Santa Cruz Nomad which fits like a glove! I'm 5'11" so I'm not a giant or anything like it.

Volta already has a 21" TT and 8.25" bars which were cut down to 680mm by previous owner.

I've just ordered an Eastern Throttle top load stem to try and bring my bars up a bit which I'm hoping will make it feel a bit more comfortable for me but has anyone else had this problem?
I've tried brakeless and with a rear brake too and I think I'm actually going to go back to a rear brake for now and see if it's better.

Do I just need to ride more and keep at it or is it just not for me?

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://a1.amlimg.com/MTMyZjAwYWNlYmU5ZWY2N2RhYjkyNzgzZmY4MDM5ZjM7JKftoWxJxECuBCZEPCVpaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vYzNjNmVkZDgyMTU4ZTRkZTcxMzc0M2UxMDA5MzQxZDU3OGRmMmRhODliMzVjNGU0OTlmYTIwZjk4OGI1MTFmYy5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTZ4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 15:34 Quote
Keep on riding and eventually youll start to get the feel of it.
I had the same issue many years ago when I went from the MTB and wanted to get back into BMX Racing. tried hopping onto a 20 and just couldn't get the feeling either.
I did instead hop onto a cruiser (24" wheels) which being closer felt a lot nicer and smoother at the time, thus making the jump from the MTB to the BMX a lot easier as it felt a lot more similar to be on.

Its mainly that it is such a big jump in wheel size and the geo is so much more twitchy that it does feel awkward at first.
Eventually if you ride it enough youll get the feeling, but if you have the chance, maybe try picking up an older 24" BMX so the jump isn't quite as massive.

Don't stress though, even now when I go from the MTB back onto the BMX it feels awkward at first and takes a little while to get comfortable on it again.

Posted: Jan 3, 2017 at 15:45 Quote
Try running higher bars. At your height, I'd go minumum 8.75" rise bars with a topload. 21" TT with a low bar is always going to feel super low for someone with your height. A lifelong BMXer might like it, but as a newbie, you'll probably never feel natural on a bar that low.

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 at 10:03 Quote
Thanks lads! I'm going to try the top load stem for a start and then maybe go for some big bars! Going to stick at it though!

Posted: Jan 6, 2017 at 5:08 Quote
I had the same problem coming in from mtb. but since i rode a 26 in hardtail it was a bit less of a jump. i will warn you that when you get back on your mtb it will probably feel really weird.

Posted: Jan 6, 2017 at 5:22 Quote
I am new to bmx as well from a mountain bike background. I am also very tall 6'4. The trick is big bars with a top load stem.

Posted: Jan 20, 2017 at 7:57 Quote
Top load stem has been a big improvement on its own already! I haven't had a chance to really get out and ride much but it feels a lot better than the previous front load model!

Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 17:06 Quote
I just started riding 20" as well coming from MTB. I'm really liking it but my bike is junk I suspect. I think I need to upgrade that first.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007395
Mobile Version of Website