Fox 34 Slow Rebound After Service

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fox 34 Slow Rebound After Service
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+ FL
Posted: Jan 9, 2017 at 22:26 Quote
I just serviced my fork lowers at home for the first time (usually done at my LBS) on my 2013 Fox 34 Float Evolution 150MM 650B (Code: CFYN) and have noticed that the rebound is considerably slower than prior to service. I replaced the seals with new Push Industries seals and used 30ml of Fox 20wt Gold fluid in both sides as per the service manual on Fox's website. However, I noticed the fluid that drained out was green and therefore I'm assuming it was the lower 5wt Green Fox oil.

The change in rebound is considerable, to the point where even with the rebound set fully open and with an extra 5 PSI in the fork its still slower than my previous preferred setting of 5 clicks in. I'm thinking the higher wt oil might have something to do with it? Possible the non stock seals? Another possibility is that I was riding in quite cold weather (2C). Has anyone experienced this before? Looking for suggestions before making the walk of shame down to my LBS to explain my f*ck up lol.

Thanks in advance,

Tristan.

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 at 2:57 Quote
Did you change the damper oil as well, or just the splash bath oil?

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 at 15:28 Quote
The cold weather is definitely to blame for this issue. we see this happen a lot during winter months the oil viscosity changes as temps drops. one thing you can do to help with this is before you ride cycle the crap out of your fork to get that oil heated up or get a cold weather tune done on your damper. changing the bath oil as you have done will have 0 affect on the damper.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 11, 2017 at 21:12 Quote
Dirtlabs wrote:
The cold weather is definitely to blame for this issue. we see this happen a lot during winter months the oil viscosity changes as temps drops. one thing you can do to help with this is before you ride cycle the crap out of your fork to get that oil heated up or get a cold weather tune done on your damper. changing the bath oil as you have done will have 0 affect on the damper.

I did not change the damper oil so this makes sense. Thanks for the help. I'll keep riding and wait for warmer weather to see if it returns to normal.

Posted: Jan 12, 2017 at 12:26 Quote
a higher wt oil will cause exactly that. if it had 5wt in and you have put20wt in it will be way too slow. are you sure it suggests 20wt for the damper as that seems way too thick for a damper oil.

Posted: Jan 12, 2017 at 12:29 Quote
Ive just checked and it says 10wt for the damper, The gold is just for the lube in the lowers.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 10:15 Quote
mwilliams wrote:
Ive just checked and it says 10wt for the damper, The gold is just for the lube in the lowers.

Yeah thanks. I actually only serviced the lowers, didn't change the damper oil or service the damper at all. So that shouldn't be it. I'm pretty confident it's the cold weather. Should be warming up this week so we'll see.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018313
Mobile Version of Website