Headset trouble

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Headset trouble
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 4:58 Quote
Hey Everyone

Recently my headset got extremely stiff making steering pretty much near impossible. When i first removed the forks there was no sign of grease at all and because i had to get it back up and moving asap i whacked a tonne of grease onto it. I was not able to actually get into the ball bearings to give them a clean and coat of grease. I tried lifting and pushing to see if i could remove any caps however no success.

All i've learned that this seems to be a semi integrated headset but i cannot access the bearings.

photo

photo

Anyone got any ideas please?

Thank you
Ciaran

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 9:33 Quote
If the bearings are that stuck then the races inside the bearing are probably pitted, so they will run notchy no matter how much you clean and re-grease them. I'd say take the bike to your LBS and have them replace the bearings.

If you do want to clean them then you need a head cup removal tool to hammer them out straight without damaging the headtube, and then a bearing press to press them back in, which is not a very economical tool to have if you only replace a headset once a year or so.

Posted: Jan 22, 2017 at 5:48 Quote
Thanks for the tip. Had tried various methods to remove he bearings bar removing the actual headset but reckon you've nailed it.

Cheers

Posted: Jan 22, 2017 at 9:56 Quote
crystalbath wrote:
Thanks for the tip. Had tried various methods to remove he bearings bar removing the actual headset but reckon you've nailed it.

Cheers

You might be able to get the bearings out without having to take out the cups, by prying a screwdriver under them.

Posted: Jan 23, 2017 at 10:45 Quote
can feel play in the bearings themselves eg try jamming a few fingers in there so that you fill the ID of the bearing and try to move forwards and backwards etc....should be able to tell if the bearings are shot. like others have said you can buy tools to remove and press in the cups or do it the old fashioned more risky ways but for what its worth if you dont have several bikes that you maintain it may be worth paying the local bike shop to fit you a nice new replacement. I have tapped out old headset cups from the opposite side and tapped new ones back in but you have to be careful as otherwise you can damage the cups and headtube and even split the headtube in the worst scenarios. I have now purchased some tools from amazon to do this which were not expensive but likely dearer than getting a bike shop to fit one. However i own several bikes and often like to replace bits and pieces so much better for me to have my own way of doing this.
If it was an expensive headset i would swap out the bearings but (please dont be offended by this) it looks like a voodo bike so i dont think any of them come with anything super nice in the headset department (to be fair most companies skimp a bit here) so i woukd likely fit a new similar item or buy a nice item with the view to replace the bearings should they ware out.

clarks grips look a good colour match with your bike. i have some on my hardtail and they lasted pretty good for an affordable grip.

Posted: Jan 23, 2017 at 13:25 Quote
Sealed bearings- you wont see the balls! knock the bearings out with a screwdriver, simple. Clean the cup, replace with new sealed bearings- 10mins max

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.091000
Mobile Version of Website