2017 Giant Reign 2 design issue

PB Forum :: Giant
2017 Giant Reign 2 design issue
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 22, 2017 at 17:24 Quote
Hey, just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the size small 2017 Giant Reign 2?
In relation to the seat tube design. The problem being, they use a generic 100mm dropper on all frame sizes, but because of the way the seat tube kinks at the pivot for the rear shock, it limits how far into the frame you can actually mount the lower part of the dropper on the size small. End result is my girlfriends size small reign, even at the lowest position on the dropper, is slightly higher off the ground than my medium commencal meta (when I have my seat down).
I've looked around for a shorter dropper, and while KS do make a 75mm one (at a cost of around $500) it'll only actually drop the overall seat height by about 10mm, so no point.
The other option I guess is just to get a standard seat post and manually lift and lower.
Just seems to be a pretty major oversight Giant have made on a bike like a reign which is clearly marketed at enduro, so the dropper is a fairly heavily used part of the bike.

photo

Posted: Jan 22, 2017 at 18:37 Quote
Hi there.

Maybe they overlooked the design but the there is a women specific range for Giant. You oughta look into that range. Yes, the Reign is a unisex model but if one is short for even their S size, maybe there are other brands to could fit.

Posted: Jan 22, 2017 at 18:48 Quote
It's not so much that the bike is too big for her, as that when she's riding downhill, she can't drop the seat far enough out of the way due to the seat tube / dropper post design. She still rides it up hill with the seat right up.

Posted: Jan 24, 2017 at 1:25 Quote
hi there.

Now I get the picture. Maybe there is a design constraint for the S size, to mount that shock length. Guess a Trance would be better choice?

Posted: Jan 25, 2017 at 15:58 Quote
More just wanting to highlight/ discuss the issue, rather than looking for advice on what bike to buy. We've just bought it brand new, so won't be buying another one for a while.

Posted: Jan 27, 2017 at 1:44 Quote
Yes this is a problem with all Trance/Reign models size XS/S, you can change seatpost with i think KS LEV have some models with shorter insert part to help you overcome that.

Posted: Jan 27, 2017 at 5:24 Quote
I had the same issue on my medium with the big connectamajig that the reverb uses now. Had to take it off and put the old style connector on to get it to fit further in the seat tube.

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 23:02 Quote
Reignrob wrote:
I had the same issue on my medium with the big connectamajig that the reverb uses now. Had to take it off and put the old style connector on to get it to fit further in the seat tube.

Hey i have this same problem with my stealth reverb I just installedd on my reign do rockshox do a different style connector from post to hose or did you mean change to the external hosed reverb?

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 0:01 Quote
Richielfcv12b wrote:
Reignrob wrote:

Hey i have this same problem with my stealth reverb I just installedd on my reign do rockshox do a different style connector from post to hose or did you mean change to the external hosed reverb?
on the newer reverb stealth the connector on the end of the hose is alot bigger then the old style one. So I used one off a old reverb. Pretty sure it's just the same connector that connects your brake hose to your calipers. It's much smaller and allows you to slam your seat post further in the frame.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 5:51 Quote
Best option is a KS lev as they are shorter than every other post I have found. They are over an inch shorter than the Giant posts.

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 at 9:45 Quote
You may want to look at the dropper posts that come on the 2014 (Giant) Liv Intrigue. The one that came on my wife's was a 75mm drop. The other option to consider is a 9.8 Fall Line. I've had terrible luck with it myself but the body of the post is significantly shorter which allows you to push the post in further without hitting the pivot.

Posted: Jul 30, 2018 at 10:56 Quote
Anyone have a fix for this? Debating a KS Lev. Mine is way too tall! 2017 giant reign advanced.

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2018 at 4:28 Quote
If you get an externally routed dropper then they are typically much shorter has you don't have the connection at the bottom of the post increasing the length. Could run it down the seat tube and into the frame down low so it is partially internal.

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 at 4:46 Quote
Yup, one of the options (if any existing droppers with internal route don't fit) - https://www.kssuspension.com/product/lev-dx/
It has "zero-movement cable technology" and you can route your hose into the frame above the BB. So it will be almost internal.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012526
Mobile Version of Website