Size recommendation - Giant Glory DH for 5'-7" rider

PB Forum :: Downhill
Size recommendation - Giant Glory DH for 5'-7" rider
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 21:10 Quote
Hey,

between Giant's lacking website (no size recommendations), the dead of winter, and my Giant-averse friends, I need help choosing a frame size. Do I have the frame sizing correct? - XS (15"?), S (16.5"?), M (17"?), L (18"?). Some people quote in size, others in inches so it would be helpful if somebody could confirm the sizing scale.

I'm 5'-7". 30" inseam. Longer torso. What's a good frame size for me? I'm currently on a small Big Hit DH with 40 mm stem and the size is perfect for me. It most closely maps to a medium Glory DH, particularly the top tube length. Does this seem like a good fit by your experiences?

The stand-over height seems unusually tall compared to other bikes. The medium is 33.7". My inseam is only 30". Are my nuts in for a nasty season of bag-tag? Or is this not a major issue in practice?

Thanks.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 21:16 Quote
Go with the small, im 6,1" and I had a 16.5 inch frame. It felt good but then I do like smaller bikes easyer to whip around on the race course. 16.5inches would be the right size for you though. My buddy has a medium 17inch and it feels to big for me, and Im 6 inches taller then you too. Also keep in mind that Glory frames fit really weird, it would be best if you could try one or two different sizes out before you decided on what one to buy.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 22:01 Quote
that first guy is on drugs but it does depend on what you are doing if you are more of a free rider a smaller frame is good because it is easy to throw around. But if you are doing dh a bigger frame is good because it will be better at high speeds but not so good in the tight but not much of a prblem for the glory because it has a fearly short chain stay which is good for cornering. I am 5 foot 6" so short as and i rode a small glory and felt realy cramped. I ride a reign xo seat up for dh and i have a 18" frame and it is just right not to long or short and i would think there sizing would be consistent through there hole line. To sume up i am a similer size to you i do dh on my reign x and i run a 18" frame so in my opinion a 18" frame would be good for you also. But see if you can bum a ride of one from your local or higher one.

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 22:05 Quote
go for a small im 6ft and im on a medium, its a big bike so you wont notice.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 22:09 Quote
i finished reading the rest of your question i also had a big hit in a small size frame. The rign x 18" is a medium in the glory the 18" frame is the large. But my opinion still stands i would not go any smaller than a medium for some one your size.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 22:12 Quote
kjacometti wrote:
that first guy is on drugs but it does depend on what you are doing if you are more of a free rider a smaller frame is good because it is easy to throw around. But if you are doing dh a bigger frame is good because it will be better at high speeds but not so good in the tight but not much of a prblem for the glory because it has a fearly short chain stay which is good for cornering. I am 5 foot 6" so short as and i rode a small glory and felt realy cramped. I ride a reign xo seat up for dh and i have a 18" frame and it is just right not to long or short and i would think there sizing would be consistent through there hole line. To sume up i am a similer size to you i do dh on my reign x and i run a 18" frame so in my opinion a 18" frame would be good for you also. But see if you can bum a ride of one from your local or higher one.
Did you not read?! The guy has a 30 inch inseam! with an 18inch frame he'd be riding his balls all day on that frame! Ha and you said I was on drugsRolleyes . It always helps to read the whole forum before you make a dumb comment and make yourself look like an ass.

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 11:25 Quote
Take the medium, a small would be a season of knee banging off the stem/handlebars because thats a rather short top tube at under 22" I'm 5'7 and ride a medium v10 and i find it perfect. Stand over wouldn't be ridiculous, you'd just have to put the seat a little lower. Basically look at it this way, if you want the bike as a race machine, take the medium the longer bike will be more stable, if you do freeride primarily, get a small it'll be easier to whip around.

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 16:36 Quote
Hey guys - thanks a lot for the advice. If I'm lucky, I'll throw a leg over a medium this week-end and start forming my own opinion. At the least I'll know if I'm really in for a few more years of sack attack. I can already feel my choda tightening up! Confused Peach, Butters88 - not to get too personal but what are your inseams? You guys feeling the top tube messin' with your business when putting your feet down? If you guys are brushing your boys then I'm totally screwed.

Any other views? 4 opinions. 2 votes to small, 2 votes to medium. The tall guys suggest small Glories and the guys my size suggest mediums. I need another angle to help make sense of these conflicting recommendations.

By the numbers, medium Glory most closely resembles my small Big Hit DH's top tube length - which happens to be 22-3/4" vs. 22-1/4". It's comfortable and feels natural. I can move the bike forward, backward, and flick it side to side pretty well, especially with that check-shaped top tube to get my knee over it. I gather it's a bit easier to throw the small Glory into corners just because of wheelbase? Is there any other reason to go for a radically different cockpit layout? I suppose it's the gamble between the devil you know versus the devil you don't.

Advice here? Thanks! Keep it comin' fellas.

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 16:37 Quote
go for a top tube thats no longer then 27 inches then the bike should fit

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 16:51 Quote
dave99 wrote:
Hey guys - thanks a lot for the advice. If I'm lucky, I'll throw a leg over a medium this week-end and start forming my own opinion. At the least I'll know if I'm really in for a few more years of sack attack. I can already feel my choda tightening up! Confused Peach, Butters88 - not to get too personal but what are your inseams? You guys feeling the top tube messin' with your business when putting your feet down? If you guys are brushing your boys then I'm totally screwed.

Any other views? 4 opinions. 2 votes to small, 2 votes to medium. The tall guys suggest small Glories and the guys my size suggest mediums. I need another angle to help make sense of these conflicting recommendations.

By the numbers, medium Glory most closely resembles my small Big Hit DH's top tube length - which happens to be 22-3/4" vs. 22-1/4". It's comfortable and feels natural. I can move the bike forward, backward, and flick it side to side pretty well, especially with that check-shaped top tube to get my knee over it. I gather it's a bit easier to throw the small Glory into corners just because of wheelbase? Is there any other reason to go for a radically different cockpit layout? I suppose it's the gamble between the devil you know versus the devil you don't.

Advice here? Thanks! Keep it comin' fellas.

Man, honestly its a big bike. I fit it for Dh im 6 foot, im on a medium. My bud whos 6 4 is also on a medium but he is set up for fr. Go see for yourself but it seems like you would want a 16.5 to me.

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 12:31 Quote
Hey - thanks for your recommendations. I just threw a leg over a medium yesterday. I didn't have a chance to ride it in the snow or ice on account of some brutal freezing rain. For a "parking lot test" (i.e. very little to go on) the cockpit felt good in a medium sitting down and standing up. I'm coming from a '05 big hit DH and I felt very much at home on the medium Glory DH. I'm sure I could live with the medium without disrupting the status quo too much.

That being said, I want to improve my bike handling when I upgrade (otherwise I'm spending money to upgrade sideways). One of the major issues I encountered a few years ago "upgrading" from a shorty 7" Sherman Slider Plus to a longer '06 888 RC2X was a HELLA more understeer in corners. The shorter wheelbase and steeper head angle set-up was much easier to transition side to side and carry speed through tight wooded single track. Nowadays I really have to consciously think about keeping my weight forward on the forks to prevent understeer. Sometimes it feels sketchy keeping so forward through big rock gardens and crazy chutes - like I'm begging for a faceplant. As a side benefit though, the cutties are starting to happen so I'm probably using better technique. However, it would be nicer if the bike whipped around with less effort.

By the numbers, a small Glory would match my Big Hit before I jacked up the front-end and stetched out the wheelbase with my 888 RC2X. By this rationale, probably a small would be better suited for me. The difference in wheelbase is only 1/2". On paper, it doesn't look like much. Does this seem like a big deal to you guys - specifically the Glory DH racers?

Dave

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 13:20 Quote
Honestly, sizing is all personal preference, only you can decide which size fits you best, wait till the weather warms, and try and get some riding time on both, then buy whichever you feel most comfortable on.

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 20:19 Quote
unless u like big bikes (like me) then go for a glory fr much better standover wise

Posted: Mar 30, 2008 at 8:59 Quote
Just a follow-up to close the loop for other people pulling searches. A semi-pro racer my height - 5'-7" - advised to race the medium Glory DH. That's his choice two years running. He also owned a small Big Hit a few years ago. He instructs kids how to race DH in Denver. I took his advice.

Ski lifts are still running full out. My general impressions from some limited street riding are:
-despite similar top tube lengths, the Glory cockpit feels more cramped than Big Hit (I think it's because the saddle is biased more towards the cranks)
-upper body extension seated feels good (natural to me as a long-time Big Hit DH and Heckler owner)
-upper body extension standing feels a bit hunched over when the bars are slammed and more relaxed with 3/8" spacers
-with handlebars and Boxxers set as low as possible, weight seems biased a bit forward; I have to consciously push my body forward to improve front wheel grip leading into corners on my Big Hit; the Glory seems to put you in this more optimal ride posture by default; I think this is a good attribute
-EDIT - knees DO hit handlebars on medium when seated and fully turned (but the lock to lock turning range on the Boxxers is also narrower than 888s)
-standing over the top tube is not pleasant; your boys won't hang - they're definitely squeezed; it only gets worse as you inch forward because of the steeply sloping top tube
-good news is that the rear suspension sags such that I can touch ground both feet flat in a seated position; this is with seat height set so my leg is roughly parallel to GND at 3 o'clock position for optimal pedaling
-pretty hard to wheelie with low handlebars and 38T x 26 low gearing
-I need to figure out how to bunny hop BMX style again - it's different than 4-bar linkage
-center of gravity feels really low and this thing corners flat turns like crazy
-ride posture seems like it would be ideal to cutty (will have to see - couldn't get my brand new High Roller 3Cs to kick out on asphalt (yet)

I can't wait for trails to dry out!!!

Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 14:09 Quote
what did you end up getting? i'm in that same position atm.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009789
Mobile Version of Website