PB Forum :: Downhill
What helmets & goggles do you use?
Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 7:13 Quote
iBombDownhill wrote:
TLD D3 Composite Lightning Green/Turquoise with Oakley O-Frames

+1 sounds nice get some pictures

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 8:30 Quote
enduroelite wrote:
Since goggles fit like shoes I would recommend trying something that works for you.

TIL that if a shoe fits, literally no other company can make a shoe that will fit you. One of the dumbest things said in this thread, and there's been some pretty dumb shit.

I had a pair of Zippers. The foam was insanely thick and had no real venting. It felt like a sauna. You're a tard if you think that's anything but low quality, and you're even more of an idiot if you're going to compare that level of protection ( glasses with no seal) to something you'd see from 100%, Thor, or otherwise. Go home if you can't hang.

Clearly someone's riding the bike path too much.

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 11:17 Quote
Come on dont be a dick, he got the point, the argument was over. anyone know if that new hourglass rubber thing in-between the helmet pieces actually works or if its just more marketing? https://www.pinkbike.com/news/6d-atb-1-helmet-review-2014.html

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 12:01 Quote
c4mtb wrote:
Come on dont be a dick, he got the point, the argument was over. anyone know if that new hourglass rubber thing in-between the helmet pieces actually works or if its just more marketing? https://www.pinkbike.com/news/6d-atb-1-helmet-review-2014.html

It's not a bad idea. It just makes the helmet too big. Making a smaller helmet has been shown to better reduce rotational forces than things like MIPS.

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 12:11 Quote
Also it's been shown that your head moves about inside a helmet moreso than those little dots allow anyway. So bulkier, heavier, and debatably just marketing hype. I'll wait to see more literature on the topic.

Also, not sure where you're seeing buddy got the point. His last post was inflammatory and on the same vein. I really wouldn't call that getting the point. Either way, the thought of not being able to change shoe companies was funny enough for me to point out. Dat's hella silly.

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 13:48 Quote
c4mtb wrote:

Yes I got the point, some lead others follow........

and there's me, I just don't give a f*ck......Jailbreak

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 13:52 Quote
The road less traveled or something poetic and smart sounding. Hur.

It's not a case of people hating on you for wearing glasses, it's a case of people hating on you for your attitude when asked about why.

And not sure of the implications there, but if someone gives you a decent reason (Ie, sealing etc) on why something is better (Ie goggles vs glasses) chances are they're not just following, but rather having a think and coming up with their opinion on the topic.

I would recommend sealed glasses to you, at the least, or a pair of much more well ventilated goggles. Those glasses you posted, while large, are likely a hazard in a crash, and are likely doing very little about dust and otherwise. If your Zippers are indeed claustrophobic, try something else.

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 14:14 Quote
sherbet wrote:
The road less traveled or something poetic and smart sounding. Hur.

It's not a case of people hating on you for wearing glasses, it's a case of people hating on you for your attitude when asked about why.

And not sure of the implications there, but if someone gives you a decent reason (Ie, sealing etc) on why something is better (Ie goggles vs glasses) chances are they're not just following, but rather having a think and coming up with their opinion on the topic.

I would recommend sealed glasses to you, at the least, or a pair of much more well ventilated goggles. Those glasses you posted, while large, are likely a hazard in a crash, and are likely doing very little about dust and otherwise. If your Zippers are indeed claustrophobic, try something else.

Man, I 've been riding for 20 years, back when Hans Rey and Missy Missy Giove were on the scene. I've gone through a half a dozen helmets, and goggles countless gloves and padding kits. I've changed my DH bike four times in the last seven years, but when I mention something that others don't know or understand, they just shit all over it. I guess that's what losers do, they put their heads in the sand and assume they are the only ones that see the big picture.

What bugs me is how people assume that I have NO IDEA what I'm talking about. What bugs me is that while I decide to wear glasses over my face and knee, shoulder, elbow, back protection and a neck brace, most people wear knee pads and a helmet and goggles and they think that they are "safe".

All I was trying to say was don't knock it till you've tried it. I assure you that I have tried the alternatives and this is what works for me. Goggles do exactly what they are supposed to do, I simply don't NEED them 100% of the time.
When I use goggles, I use Von Zippers because they fit me better then the majority of goggles out there. for the dingus that swears that Von Zippers don't work for ANYBODY, get your head outa your ass.

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 14:26 Quote
enduroelite wrote:
All I was trying to say was don't knock it till you've tried it

You're an idiot if you seriously think nobody here has worn a decent set of glasses on a bike before. For all the downtalk you're spouting about us assuming, you're doing a fair lot of it too. To think we;

playedoutnameelite wrote:
don't know or understand

is such utterly hypocritical bullshit. Are you really so much of a special snowflake that you're willing to say we've never tried it and have no idea of the merits of goggles vs glasses?

Also, just as you have been doing something for two decades has no bearing on how well you are doing it, nor how much you know. I've been walking for 23 years but sometimes I still trip up the stairs.

And sorry, as someone working at a moto store for a good deal of time, selling all the big name shit; yeah Von Zipper is a joke. Nobody wanted them, they fit awkwardly, the venting is an absolute joke, and they're overpriced compared to what you can get from Spy and Thor.

What bugs me about people is they don't try other perspectives. Nobody here is down on you for glasses, again, it's your attitude. You're a snotty little shit the way you've been talking to people, and no shit replies to you will be a little rude. The issue here is you've stated flat out the Von Zipper fits perfectly and have implied that nothing else will do at all. If you're not willing to engage in a proper conversation about it, get off a public forum? Trust, we're not going to mourn the loss.

And finally, what a load of shit this is. Someone tried to make a reasonable point to your post and you degraded into this shitty baby. We've been on this site for ages, we're all getting by, I promise you, you are the sore thumb here, not literally everyone else.

But hey, this is a biking forum, so lets go over this.

You prefer;

Glasses with no safe lenses.
No sealing from sweat or dirt.
Poor anti-fog layers.
No tear off mounts.
Poor retention in rocky terrain.
To look like "that guy."

Yep. Makes sense. Clearly glasses are the way to go and I haven't thought this out. Brb trying flip flops on my dirtbike.

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 14:29 Quote
sherbet wrote:
enduroelite wrote:
All I was trying to say was don't knock it till you've tried it

You're an idiot if you seriously think nobody here has worn a decent set of glasses on a bike before. For all the downtalk you're spouting about us assuming, you're doing a fair lot of it too. To think we;

playedoutnameelite wrote:
don't know or understand

is such utterly hypocritical bullshit. Are you really so much of a special snowflake that you're willing to say we've never tried it and have no idea of the merits of goggles vs glasses?

Also, just as you have been doing something for two decades has no bearing on how well you are doing it, nor how much you know. I've been walking for 23 years but sometimes I still trip up the stairs.

And sorry, as someone working at a moto store for a good deal of time, selling all the big name shit; yeah Von Zipper is a joke. Nobody wanted them, they fit awkwardly, the venting is an absolute joke, and they're overpriced compared to what you can get from Spy and Thor.

What bugs me about people is they don't try other perspectives. Nobody here is down on you for glasses, again, it's your attitude. You're a snotty little shit the way you've been talking to people, and no shit replies to you will be a little rude. The issue here is you've stated flat out the Von Zipper fits perfectly and have implied that nothing else will do at all. If you're not willing to engage in a proper conversation about it, get off a public forum? Trust, we're not going to mourn the loss.

And finally, what a load of shit this is. Someone tried to make a reasonable point to your post and you degraded into this shitty baby. We've been on this site for ages, we're all getting by, I promise you, you are the sore thumb here, not literally everyone else.

But hey, this is a biking forum, so lets go over this.

You prefer;

Glasses with no safe lenses.
No sealing from sweat or dirt.
Poor anti-fog layers.
No tear off mounts.
Poor retention in rocky terrain.
To look like "that guy."

Yep. Makes sense. Clearly glasses are the way to go and I haven't thought this out. Brb trying flip flops on my dirtbike.

Thanks for proving me right.

BTW, flip flops are for getting your morning paper.....

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 14:29 Quote
im out, sherbet stop instigating arguments it seems to be a never ending thing with you, best of luck everyone ill post some helmet pics when this calms down.

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 14:32 Quote
c4mtb wrote:
im out, sherbet stop instigating arguments it seems to be a never ending thing with you, best of luck everyone ill post some helmet pics when this calms down.

...What? You made a comment on the topic as well, I'm literally doing the same as you.

The energy required to constantly refute your bullshit gets a little tiring. Would you mind not? Also, you'll note my previous comment was on topic in regards to goggles, yet you're here, calling me out like your normally do, and adding nothing.

But please, if you're out, feel free to not come back. Most of us would appreciate, and by god would this thread be easier to work with.

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 15:07 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Brb trying flip flops on my dirtbike.

Tried it. Really hard to shift or start the bike even if you're only going a couple of feet.

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 15:26 Quote
To be fair, it was a joke. I've ridden to the bank tons of times in my old man slippers.

Difference being is I'm not going to come here and say it's smart, let alone a decent option in footwear.

Also, as an aside, I thought that line was funny. Glad you got a kick outta it. Haha.

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 15:39 Quote
I've only done it once or twice. Mostly just to go to see what my results were. As for eye wear, I have glasses that are impact resistant and polycarbonate for when I've riding all mountain and not doing anything crazy and actual goggles for DH stuff. But my helmet makes my goggles fit a little loser than some of my other helmets. Bottom line id goggles are safer even if they don't feel to good.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023878
Mobile Version of Website