What helmets & goggles do you use?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What helmets & goggles do you use?
Posted: Aug 30, 2015 at 21:44 Quote
unrooted wrote:
Leatt or atlas?

The design of the Leatt saves your neck but puts most of that force back into your spine and collar bones. Leatts are known to be collar bone breakers. The Atlas disperses it more into the pec muscles and your shoulder muscles since it's pads are spaced farther apart. That's what the Atlas rep told me. Looking at the two, it does make sense. Either way you're still going to have more protection for your neck.

O+
Posted: Aug 30, 2015 at 22:29 Quote
unrooted wrote:
Leatt or atlas?
I really like my Leatt 5.5, but I haven't had personal experience with atlas for an extended period of time. They definitely have a different fit so I'd suggest, if possible, trying them on.

Posted: Aug 30, 2015 at 22:30 Quote
ethan991 wrote:
unrooted wrote:
Leatt or atlas?
I really like my Leatt 5.5, but I haven't had personal experience with atlas for an extended period of time. They definitely have a different fit so I'd suggest, if possible, trying them on.
Yup. Best bet would be to try them on and see which fits best.

Posted: Aug 30, 2015 at 22:43 Quote
Bronco82 wrote:
unrooted wrote:
Leatt or atlas?

The design of the Leatt saves your neck but puts most of that force back into your spine and collar bones. Leatts are known to be collar bone breakers. The Atlas disperses it more into the pec muscles and your shoulder muscles since it's pads are spaced farther apart. That's what the Atlas rep told me. Looking at the two, it does make sense. Either way you're still going to have more protection for your neck.
of course the rep will tell you that.

The atlas clacks against your helmet and i found that i could clear the rear wing with my helmet if i had the brace low enough for an acceptable range of motion.

The atlas is a cool brace but there are some critical design flaws.

Posted: Aug 30, 2015 at 22:50 Quote
Leatt all the way, barely notice my 5.5 anymore. Atlas braces scare me.

Try it with your specific helmet if possible, but most modern helmets work fine with a neck brace.

Posted: Aug 30, 2015 at 22:55 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Bronco82 wrote:
unrooted wrote:
Leatt or atlas?

of course the rep will tell you that.

The atlas clacks against your helmet and i found that i could clear the rear wing with my helmet if i had the brace low enough for an acceptable range of motion.

The atlas is a cool brace but there are some critical design flaws.
The Leatt's and Atlas's fit different on different people like most protective gear. You might have needed a Leatt or an Alpinestar's in that case. Like for me the Atlas fits fine. My helmet only hits it when I'm looking really far up the trail. Someone else might have a different story though. It's like a helmet or shoes, best thing to do is go try one on and see how it feels.

Like most things, both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Posted: Aug 30, 2015 at 23:26 Quote
oh man, I tried a neck brace and couldnt stand it. So uncomfortable.

Posted: Aug 30, 2015 at 23:50 Quote
I stopped wearing mine when I was at whistler this summer and I felt so much more comfortable on the bike.

I feel kinda conflicted about not wearing it.

O+
Posted: Aug 31, 2015 at 7:12 Quote
Nobble wrote:
I stopped wearing mine when I was at whistler this summer and I felt so much more comfortable on the bike.

Same here. I still wear mine but I rode a day without one and I felt free lol. But then I crashed and it scared the sh*t out of me so I put it back on. Also you have a full 9 right. I tried an atlas on with a full 9 and I noticed that the brace really hardly works with the full 9. The chin bar can come to your chest before hitting the brace.

Posted: Aug 31, 2015 at 8:44 Quote
ethan991 wrote:
Nobble wrote:

Same here. I still wear mine but I rode a day without one and I felt free lol. But then I crashed and it scared the sh*t out of me so I put it back on. Also you have a full 9 right. I tried an atlas on with a full 9 and I noticed that the brace really hardly works with the full 9. The chin bar can come to your chest before hitting the brace.
tried it with my full 9 and my old D2

Posted: Aug 31, 2015 at 8:58 Quote
Nobble wrote:
ethan991 wrote:
Nobble wrote:

tried it with my full 9 and my old D2
I really like my cipher and 5.5, although I havent crash tested it yet, I also think its something that should catch on with everybody. Crashing with the half shell that I had, I injured a few muscles on my neck, but it couldve been worse. Without it, its a lot more free though.

A problem I've encountered is that with most backpack, it forces the brace up and limits your look up the trail by about half, which is one of the drawbacks, so you need to figure out how to stash essentials on the bike.

Posted: Aug 31, 2015 at 10:16 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/kali-naka-affordable-full-face-helmet04.jpg
I don't know anyone who gets pumped on $100 helmets, but this new one from eurobike doesn't look terrible....Just needs a less bro paint job.

Posted: Aug 31, 2015 at 11:01 Quote
Classic Kali Paint Job... lol

They should take a leaf out of Giro's book.

Posted: Aug 31, 2015 at 12:15 Quote
E-Bike helmet in the back

Posted: Sep 1, 2015 at 7:15 Quote
The DBX Pro lite has been the most comfy for me, but not gonna buy another one if I cant find deals. Right now I have the 5.5, you can notice the weight, but not bad at all. And I cant ride a brace without the straps, it just moves too much without em.
But as long as you have a proper lid on, you good. Stay safe tup

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023447
Mobile Version of Website