How to ride DH safely and WIN!

PB Forum :: Downhill
How to ride DH safely and WIN!
Posted: Dec 22, 2015 at 4:25 Quote
aturanmain1 wrote:
We inform you, we sell various types of bicycles, please visit our site to develop business in the long libertine to you. http://lawangsport.com

f*ck off

Posted: Dec 26, 2015 at 10:53 Quote
Not read the whole thread but didn't notice it on the list, but "learn to ride a motorbike" should be there, if you are not frightened and are familiar with going in to bends knee on the floor at silly speeds then there will be little in the high speed cornering department bother you at all on your DH bike. MotoX likely the best but any motorbike experience will help with controlling high speeds, I see have heard a lot of people comment over the years that they hate that 'it's getting too fast / away from you feeling', I think a lot of motorbike riding means your brain gets used to processing more info so you don't get that feeling until even higher speeds.

Posted: Dec 30, 2015 at 6:59 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
mini-freerider wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Feet level where possible. Its faster. Outside foot down on loose off camber bastard corners.

Can anyone else attest to this?

I don't doubt it, but I'd rather check before changing literally everything about my riding lol

I'd like to hear other opinions too. The other day I was chatting to a mates girlfriend who started riding dh recently. Basically said to her "at first, always keep your outside foot down in non-bermed corners. If you are worried about your front end washing out, stick your inside leg out. If you are really worried, drag your inside foot through the dirt. The more your confidence grows, the less you will need to do this, and the more situations you will be able to keep your feet level.

When you get super confident you will be able to get both wheels drifting, with both feet on the pedals and level.

I think really drifting both wheels intentionally is not just a "comfort" thing, its mostly down to the surface you ride and an extreme level of skill. Drifting a bike is damn hard since its not really a drift but a complete break of traction. And usually when you loose traction on the front you're going down.

Beyond the carver and Hill I havent really seen such control/skill.

But yes when you get comfortable you can even ride clips and not worry when the tires start loose traction for short instances.

Posted: Jan 11, 2016 at 15:55 Quote
Get a lighter bike...that also helps.

MrDuck wrote:
So I've finally come back to some of my confidence after wrecking my shoulder 3 years ago, enough so that I started racing again.

I race both the local races in Whistler (phat wednesdays) and I'm trying to do as many BC Cups as I can afford, and it turns out I'm pretty slow. I'm probably not riding at my 100%, sort of playing it safe, but no matter if I pull off a run I'm happy with or if I make mistakes here and there, I'm consistently about 30s slower than the top guys.

I don't feel like I'd be fighting the bike at all, which would point at physical strength I guess, nor I'm running out of breath, I feel like it's in the head that I just can't go faster. I feel like I'm too slow to join some training program around here, which seems like the logical step to find my weaknesses and improve.

I'm riding the bike nearly every day, and DH is almost my only exercise through the summer, riding enduro in the winter to build up the stamina to get me through. I honestly have no idea where to look for speed now, any suggestions?

Posted: Jan 11, 2016 at 15:56 Quote
Brocas a-what what?
Wait, don't answer that.

TheGnome wrote:
Well excuse you! I just dont want you to be in the ICU for THREE weeks! And paralzed for a month! And with brocas aphasia for the rest of your life! Damn it dude think before you say!

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2016 at 17:40 Quote
stheskier wrote:
Get a lighter bike...that also helps.

MrDuck wrote:
So I've finally come back to some of my confidence after wrecking my shoulder 3 years ago, enough so that I started racing again.

I race both the local races in Whistler (phat wednesdays) and I'm trying to do as many BC Cups as I can afford, and it turns out I'm pretty slow. I'm probably not riding at my 100%, sort of playing it safe, but no matter if I pull off a run I'm happy with or if I make mistakes here and there, I'm consistently about 30s slower than the top guys.

I don't feel like I'd be fighting the bike at all, which would point at physical strength I guess, nor I'm running out of breath, I feel like it's in the head that I just can't go faster. I feel like I'm too slow to join some training program around here, which seems like the logical step to find my weaknesses and improve.

I'm riding the bike nearly every day, and DH is almost my only exercise through the summer, riding enduro in the winter to build up the stamina to get me through. I honestly have no idea where to look for speed now, any suggestions?
Think there's not much room to drop weight off of my dh bike Smile

Posted: Jan 18, 2016 at 16:29 Quote
guys i have a downhill bike with a tapered headtube i was wondering if there is a way i could just a normal straight steer tube to work in it help me plz

Posted: Jan 18, 2016 at 16:31 Quote
Brandonwomack3 wrote:
guys i have a downhill bike with a tapered headtube i was wondering if there is a way i could just a normal straight steer tube to work in it help me plz

Yeah, you'll need a specific headset/crown race depending on your setup.

What frame is it?

Posted: Jan 18, 2016 at 17:43 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
Brandonwomack3 wrote:

Yeah, you'll need a specific headset/crown race depending on your setup.

What frame is it?
its a 2012 kona operator

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2016 at 13:27 Quote
I am looking to buy a slightly used downhill bike and i was wondering how serious a scratch on the fork stanchions is.
Thanks!

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2016 at 16:17 Quote
S-nicholas wrote:
I am looking to buy a slightly used downhill bike and i was wondering how serious a scratch on the fork stanchions is.
Thanks!

it depends, sometimes those can be a very bad problem. I got a small scratch on my fox fork once and I had to ship it to fox so they could fix it, it was ruined by a small scratch. I wouldn't take the deal

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2016 at 16:22 Quote
TreyDownhill wrote:
S-nicholas wrote:
Thanks!

it depends, sometimes those can be a very bad problem. I got a small scratch on my fox fork once and I had to ship it to fox so they could fix it, it was ruined by a small scratch. I wouldn't take the deal
Good advice. Thanks for the help

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2016 at 16:23 Quote
S-nicholas wrote:
TreyDownhill wrote:
S-nicholas wrote:
Thanks!

Good advice. Thanks for the help

no problem

O+
Posted: Jan 28, 2016 at 19:36 Quote
Hey guys, anyone here race the NW Cup?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015167
Mobile Version of Website