How to build a good berm?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
How to build a good berm?
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 11, 2013 at 14:26 Quote
I've only built one quite big berm. I just lined out where I wanted it to go by digging the grass out in a nice curve so it was just bare mud. I then made it wider so when I add mud to the top no grass grows through it. Then you dig out the inside of the berm and put that mud on top. You have to make sur that you are digging at the right angle. Then shape it and flatten it with a shovel. You have to ride it a hell of a lot to compact it though as the bottom of the berm will be harder because it is under ground level

Posted: Nov 16, 2013 at 9:11 Quote
1) Ride your bike where you want the berm. Do this and try and hit the corner like you would with a berm there. That will give you a good starting shape for your berm.
2) Dig out the berm and put the dirt on the line that you made with your bike earlier.
3) Ride it and shape it.
4) You're done.
Some of ours, shows how we dug the dirt out of where the berm will go.
shade
  shade

photo

split off of 2 trails.
  split off of 2 trails.

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2013 at 8:34 Quote
Lots of ways to build a berm, Lots of berm styles, but the hardest trail feature to build in my opinion. It takes the longest to build and has the most impact on riding when done correctly. I have posted a couple picks of berms below and will list the key techniques we used to build them . Depending on the terrain, dirt and riding style all berms are build different.

This berm was easy but also a huge berm to build, no rocks all we did was carve it into the side of the hill. This berm is intended to turn you 90 degrees into a 20 footer set of doubles. you land into the berm from a drop
photo

photo

This berm was to prevent us from going off a 40 foot cliff, we used rocks as a foundation due to the terrain and what little dirt we could scrape up.

photo
photo

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2013 at 9:21 Quote
Those berms are dope man!

Posted: Nov 28, 2013 at 11:48 Quote
the most important part is the steepness. Everything else is secondary. Make it low and as steep as the dirt will allow, and steeper at the beginning. Don't make bike park berms because those are snowboard berms - not the same as bike berms.

Posted: Dec 7, 2013 at 1:47 Quote
thenotoriousmic wrote:
sherbet wrote:
thenotoriousmic wrote:

thats not a very good berm at all?!

Doesn't look bad to me.

the doubles are all dry and crumbling and the berm doesnt look much better.
well y the hell u think he is asking for help stupid

Posted: Dec 7, 2013 at 11:58 Quote
Nice one mate. Your first post in the forums, and you're already attacking people. On top of that, you've replied to a comment literally YEARS old, in a way that wasn't even remotely helpful.

Welcome to Pinkbike. You're blowing it.

Posted: Dec 13, 2013 at 13:13 Quote
thenotoriousmic wrote:
so cutting the inside line out isnt a good idea then?

you just make it wide and steeper so you will not ride in the water. reversals are good too.

Posted: Dec 20, 2013 at 11:55 Quote
you could also make a culvert to help drainage, first of all make a little trench through the berm then, put rocks on each side to stop the dirt falling into it. Then to finish off put rocks or sticks to cover the culvert and pile dirt on top again. Or, by sticking a pipe ( any kind will do as long as it isn`t to big) underneath the berm, so that the water can flow away from the trail. If it fails the pipe might be pointing the wrong direction or in the culvert, rocks could`ve slipped out of place and caused the water to stop flowing. You will have to make a few adjustments over time but it will eventually work, but be prepared to dig up your trail if it does go wrong!

Posted: Dec 21, 2013 at 16:46 Quote
1 1/2 " abs with some small holes drilled into it work well for this ( and is dirty cheap ) , or weeping tile pipe, though its a little too big often for the perpose.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020349
Mobile Version of Website