single speed or 8 speed for trials?

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
single speed or 8 speed for trials?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 at 11:39 Quote
i have an '07 ovolve and im gettin a new rear wheel for it and i was thinking of oging single speed, i mostly use my 3rd and 4th gear which are 17 and 19t and i was thinking of getting a 18t cog, but also would it be cheaper to buy a normal hub and get a cog and some spacers and use that? or would it be better to get one of those cogs with the freewheel mechanism built into the cog? (i thinhk its a microdriver or something) and get a hub thats made for the microdrive thing? also, are those ones with the freewheel mechanism built into it as strong as a normal rear hub? (like stripping the mechanism inside)?

http://www.echobike.com/index1.htm - its at the very top of the page. thats what i mean when i say microdriver (im jsut assuming thats what it is)

Posted: Mar 8, 2008 at 11:55 Quote
Not quite sure i understand u but a cog with a freewheel mechanism built in is simply called a freewheel. A cassette hub would be better to get. either sigle speed or a normal one with a with a single speed conversion set. Freewheels are weaker because they are threaded on to the hub and therefore push the bearings further towards the center of the axle with leads to bent axles because there will more leverage on the axle when u land on your rear wheel. I'm not exactly sure cause this is in trials but bmx single speed hubs are strong and work great but chances are they will not fit in your dropouts because the are made for BMX but i'm not sure. A good bmx hub(i'm getting one) is the WETHEPEOPLE q-lite or maybe the primo mix.

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 1:22 Quote
Do you mean a FFW?

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 1:57 Quote
Get 8speed m8 lots more choice than single speed

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 11:21 Quote
i probably should of mentioned this in the thread name but, this is for a trials specific bike, not dj or street

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 11:25 Quote
^ sayin that i'd go single then m8

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 13:13 Quote
swinglespeed definate

never slip a cog in a crucial moment

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 13:13 Quote
Why not make your own custom 3 or 4 speed setup with a thumb shifter on single speed hub?

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 20:22 Quote
Alright boys, this is how it works.

Run single speed. It's a trials bike.

You've got a few options. If you're into freewheels, there are freewheels designed for trials that engage really fast. You can either put them on a freewheel crank ( a specially designed crank that has threads) with a fixed rear hub or you can get a fixed threaded rear hub and put the freewheel on the back instead. Most trials riders would put the freewheel on the cranks though.
photo

OR

You could also get a freehub(that's probably what you have now). That way you wouldn't have to get freewheel cranks. Just get a singlespeed cog and spacers...something like a Hope Pro II trials or maybe a chris king?
photo

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 20:28 Quote
but now which one is cheaper to buy/replace? and which one is stronger?

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 20:34 Quote
Probably a freehub is best. Get a Hope Pro II trials hub. Cheap, strong, comes with single speed spacers. You'll never have problems with it either...

Second from the bottom.

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 21:56 Quote
yaaaa $265 for a hub is outa the question (im 16)

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 9:07 Quote
bigquotesyaaaa $265 for a hub is outa the question (im 16)
Get a job?

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 9:34 Quote
You can make any casette hub into a single speed by using the cog you want(18t)and replacing the rest with spacers that you can get from old casettes(your lbs might have some they would be willing to give away)

Theres no need in going with a Chris King or Hope hub, or even a freewheel setup if your riding an Evolve, your drivetrain will end up costing you more than the entire bike did.

Its a beginer bike and any mountain bike wheel would do till you have enough money and have progressed enough to upgrade to a nicer bike.

Just get the best wheel you can thats in your price range.

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 10:09 Quote
the only thing stock on my evolve are the bars and the rims, and the last thing im buying is a frame to swap al lthe parts to, which probably wont be till next year

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009463
Mobile Version of Website