single speed or 8 speed for trials?

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
single speed or 8 speed for trials?
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 12:36 Quote
doesnt evolve come with dx32 rims? im to lazy to look in my garage and check lol

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 12:38 Quote
If it does, keep them, its about the best rim for trials you can get if your not too concerned about weight.

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 12:41 Quote
I just checked, they are Alex DM 24 rear and DM 18 front, they are both lower cheaper/lesser quality rims than the DX32.

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 13:10 Quote
so heres my plan, new hub(not sure if i want threaded or freehub), good quality rear 18t cog, half link chain, good brake pads(im running vbrakes)(any suggestions for pads?)

those are waht im going to get for sure, im not sure if ill get a new rim or spokes just yet

hopefully i wont need a tensioner

also my rear rim is grinded if that effects my choice for pads

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 13:38 Quote
Um...Don't put a half link chain on there. lol Only do that if your frame has horizontal dropouts. Get a 3/32 kmc 810 chain or something similar. Get the Rock blue v pads too! Smile

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 13:39 Quote
why would i need horizontal dropouts?

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 13:40 Quote
Half link chains are designed for people that want to run a set length chain stay with horizontal dropouts...and you WOULD have to use a chain tensioner if you had verticle dropouts...and half link chains stretch a lot too...

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 14:09 Quote
jason222bike wrote:
Half link chains are designed for people that want to run a set length chain stay with horizontal dropouts...and you WOULD have to use a chain tensioner if you had verticle dropouts...and half link chains stretch a lot too...
What are u talking about. If you have vertical dropouts a halflink lets u tension the chain tighter than a regular chain so you don't need to run a tensioner.

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 14:12 Quote
bigquotesIf you have vertical dropouts a halflink lets u tension the chain tighter than a regular chain so you don't need to run a tensioner.
Ok, I'm sure it's possible, but the chain will stretch, and a really tight chain is NOT good for your freewheel/freehub mechanism. Likewise, you'd be f*cked if you ever needed to take the rear wheel off.

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 14:12 Quote
BMX8000 wrote:
jason222bike wrote:
What are u talking about. If you have vertical dropouts a halflink lets u tension the chain tighter than a regular chain so you don't need to run a tensioner.

i think you mean horizontal

EDIT: nvm

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 14:48 Quote
Jason is right, half-links are useless on vertical dropouts.

Only use them if you absoulutly have to, such as if your tensioner won't give you proper tension with a full link.

I can't tell you how many times a half-link blew apart on me, too many to count. The only half link I have ever had that was reliable was one I made myself using 3/32 plates and bending them with pliers into the half link shape, then I used a pin from a 1/8 chain, that way there was a lot of pin sticking out on each side which kept it from blowing apart. Pretty redneck but it did the trick, wouldn't recomend it though.

If you want a smooth drivetrain and have vertical dropouts there is almost no getting around using a tensioner, preferably a spring tensioner, but Rennen makes a nice fixed tensioner, really strong but you'll notice some resistance compared to a spring tensioned chain.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015436
Mobile Version of Website