Bar Height (rise) where to measure from?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Bar Height (rise) where to measure from?
Posted: Mar 11, 2008 at 14:44 Quote
drewfunk wrote:
pedalpusher01 wrote:
bradyc wrote:
im 5'11" and ride 7.3" rise, and I cant stand big bars. My bike is so whippy compared to my 7.75". Everyone likes something different but it seems the majority likes 'em big.

thats what SHE said! hahalol

wow, that was HILARIOUSRolleyes

im sorry, i think boredom is starting to get to meRolleyes

Posted: Nov 11, 2008 at 17:19 Quote
these bars may seem big for me but i am 5' and my bars are 8"x28.5" and i love them.Smile

Posted: Nov 11, 2008 at 17:25 Quote
iamthepeople wrote:
these bars may seem big for me but i am 5' and my bars are 8"x28.5" and i love them.Smile

Yeee Grave Diggaaa!!

Posted: Nov 11, 2008 at 17:27 Quote
iamthepeople wrote:

Have you tried riding any other sized bars for a good amount of time to see if you like them better?

Posted: Nov 11, 2008 at 17:31 Quote
lettusdude wrote:
iamthepeople wrote:

Have you tried riding any other sized bars for a good amount of time to see if you like them better?
ya i had wtp

Posted: Nov 11, 2008 at 17:32 Quote
they were like 7 x 26 i think and i just wanted bigger

Posted: Nov 11, 2008 at 17:35 Quote
But WHY did you want bigger bars? Someone who's only 5 feet should not be riding 8x28.5 bars, they will most likely hold you back in your riding and give you less control.

Posted: Nov 11, 2008 at 17:38 Quote
i wanted bigger bars because i wanted biggers bars lol i think they amazing i like them way better and if i ride my other bars im riding them like right on the end

Posted: Nov 11, 2008 at 19:06 Quote
iamthepeople wrote:
i wanted bigger bars because i wanted biggers bars lol i think they amazing i like them way better and if i ride my other bars im riding them like right on the end
So what your trying to say is bigger bars seemed cool so i bought them...

Posted: Nov 12, 2008 at 3:39 Quote
i want smaller bars, maybe green bob's?

Posted: Nov 12, 2008 at 12:01 Quote
lettusdude wrote:
But WHY did you want bigger bars? Someone who's only 5 feet should not be riding 8x28.5 bars, they will most likely hold you back in your riding and give you less control.
dude you cant tell someone what size bars they should ride. its all preference when it comes to bars. for me though i ride 8x27.5 bars and im like 5'10" so that might be normal but yea i used to have smaller bars and they just didnt give me enough control overall.

Posted: Nov 12, 2008 at 12:36 Quote
In general slightly bigger bars give you more control, but when it gets to the point that you're riding with your elbows almost locked and can hardly move them, you're technically losing control. I'm not telling people what to ride, I'm saying that they should try different sized bar for a long time(At least a couple months of solid riding) to find out what actually works for them. You're right, it is all personal preference, but you can't really have personal preference when you've only tried big bars. I say experiment and find what works for you instead of following the current trend. It was the same thing 4 or 5 years ago when every one was riding super small bars.

O+
Posted: Nov 12, 2008 at 16:15 Quote
lettusdude wrote:
In general slightly bigger bars give you more control, but when it gets to the point that you're riding with your elbows almost locked and can hardly move them, you're technically losing control. I'm not telling people what to ride, I'm saying that they should try different sized bar for a long time(At least a couple months of solid riding) to find out what actually works for them. You're right, it is all personal preference, but you can't really have personal preference when you've only tried big bars. I say experiment and find what works for you instead of following the current trend. It was the same thing 4 or 5 years ago when every one was riding super small bars.

It's a little challenging to try different sized bars every couple of months...
They're expensive and where are you supposed to get them?

And to Ron, the new Bob's in green would definitely look sweet on your bike. Smile

True, it is expensive to change bars often. But even riding someone elses bike for a couple hours can give you a bit of a feel. Again, I'm just saying don't think the first thing you like is always the best.

Posted: Nov 12, 2008 at 16:57 Quote
lettusdude wrote:
He can ride whatever size of bars he wants. I think bars are just personal preferance. I ride a mid sized bar, while my friend runs super narrow bars. Does it mean one is better than the other? No. Clearly this kid wants big bars, so don't tell him he should ride smaller ones.

Posted: Nov 12, 2008 at 17:01 Quote
Ok, I'll admit I worded that post wrong, I should have thought before I posted. I've explained several times what I meant by that. Riders shouldn't jump on the first thing that they find works for them. They should try different things to see what's best. If huge bars on a small rider TRULY do work for them, then that's fine. I'm just saying they'll never know until they try different bar sizes.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011160
Mobile Version of Website