888 Oil Change

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
888 Oil Change
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 at 10:46 Quote
If you want them stiffer, get a heavier spring and bump up to a 10wt oil to compensate on the rebound side.

Posted: Mar 10, 2010 at 14:23 Quote
go 15wt oil. and have a look on the marzo website for how much of it you will need.

Posted: Nov 21, 2010 at 0:58 Quote
I've looked on the Marz site and there is no records of how much CC's of fluid I need to put in my 05' 888 VF. Any Helpers?

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 at 21:50 Quote
Cevo-P wrote:
I've looked on the Marz site and there is no records of how much CC's of fluid I need to put in my 05' 888 VF. Any Helpers?

If it's not too late, measure the amount of oil that is currently in each leg.

I picked up a cheap inexpensive paint mixing cup at the local hardware store. They were about $1.00 (USD) each so I picked up a few, actually. Smile

Then I drained each leg into their own cup recorded the level/volume to use as a baseline for future tuning and general maintenance.

Posted: Nov 26, 2010 at 4:24 Quote
That's kind of a flawed method because you are banking on the fact that the proper amount was in there to begin with.

Posted: Nov 26, 2010 at 5:09 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
That's kind of a flawed method because you are banking on the fact that the proper amount was in there to begin with.

And also that none of it has leaked out and it all pouring out and not sticking to the internals at all

Posted: Nov 26, 2010 at 5:24 Quote
hey on the subject of oil levels in marzo forks i'm wondering how much oil i need for my 2008 dirt jumper 1, i've checked their site and it says it but theres like 8 rows of dirt jumper 1s in the 2008 section LOL so i'm really confused.

fork is 100mm travel and open bath

http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/contenuto.asp?LN=UK&idC=1551&IdFolder=777

Posted: Nov 26, 2010 at 5:57 Quote
danthecarlover wrote:
hey on the subject of oil levels in marzo forks i'm wondering how much oil i need for my 2008 dirt jumper 1, i've checked their site and it says it but theres like 8 rows of dirt jumper 1s in the 2008 section LOL so i'm really confused.

Try http://www.windwave.co.uk/documents/techinfo/marzocchitechinfo.html

Posted: Nov 26, 2010 at 7:14 Quote
danthecarlover wrote:

It's the second one in the list of dirt jumpers.

DIRT JUMPER 1 - 100 - STD - open bath: Left 10cc, Right 155cc, 7.5wt.

Posted: Nov 26, 2010 at 20:34 Quote
jonbikes wrote:

That's true. But if it's riding and performing the way he likes it helps to know the amount of oil used.

When I first got my 888 I thought it felt too soft as if there wasn't enough oil. When I drained it I found that it was at the recommended level. Had I not done that I would have assumed that fork was defective or something to that effect.

This led to experimenting with different weights until I found that the best (for me) was to go with the stock 7.5wt and just fill it just slightly more than the recommended level (I also called Marzocchi tech support to make sure this was cool...)..

Posted: Nov 26, 2010 at 20:49 Quote
Oil weight has little to do with how stiff or soft a fork is, and volume has even less to do with it.

If you want to talk effect of oil weight on suspension, it's shaft velocity that is effected, not weight it takes to compress the fork. A heavier oil will make a fork slower within its tunable range, but it will not make it "stiffer" so to speak, you get the same sag regardless of what weight oil you use or the level (obvious acception would be putting WAY to much oil in and causing the fork to lock out before it reaches normal sag).

Posted: Nov 26, 2010 at 21:46 Quote
fr33ryder wrote:
danthecarlover wrote:

It's the second one in the list of dirt jumpers.

DIRT JUMPER 1 - 100 - STD - open bath: Left 10cc, Right 155cc, 7.5wt.
I might be wrong, but I thought open bath systems need more oil? 10ml seems to be like nothing.

marquis, the site has 2008 oil levels except it doesn't show how much oil needs to be in the left rebound stanchion.
f* marzocchi hahah

Posted: Nov 26, 2010 at 22:33 Quote
If there are dampers in both legs, then you will need 155cc in each one. Otherwise the left side is a spring onl,y and would only require the 10cc.

Posted: Nov 27, 2010 at 1:57 Quote
rebound is left side, air preload is right side (found the coil to be in there aswell)

so: 155cc in left and 10cc in right? but marzocchi says 155cc in right? ffffffffffffff

what about 155cc both sides?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.103244
Mobile Version of Website